Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I BOUGHT ROCKY'S '50 PONTIAC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29StudeDude, Oct 21, 2021.

1. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Right below the ash tray, which would also serve the same purpose if you weren't careful, I guess!

I love my inline 8 with the hydramatic, however if GM wouldn't have been so brand conscious at the time, these cars would likely have had V8's in by '50.
    Plus, a higher revving V8 makes highway miles much easier, not to mention economical...

Phil

2. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

I wanted a drivetrain I could find parts for if it broke down on the road. Not many straight eight parts at local stores!

3. finn

finn

Another call to keep the inline.

Not every car needs a v8. I don’t see the advantage for highway travel. Rpm will be the same.

6inarow and warhorseracing like this.
  4. The world needs more sleepers, and this one can surely pull it off, good choice and good luck.

Stogy, 29StudeDude and loudbang like this.
  5. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Just keep the most likely culprits in the trunk, generator, water pump, starter, points, distributor cap, fan belt, and voltage regulator.

Stogy, warhorseracing and loudbang like this.
  6. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Actually, most of the ignition system is on the shelf at the big places- it was common to a lot of GM vehicles of the era and beyond.

I buy my engine oil at Tractor Supply (30W diesel oil, cheap and has plenty zinc in), Dexron-III works in the transmission, and regular all-types antifreeze (yellow) is compatible with the guts of the motor and cooling system.

Keep a spare set of points and several condensers in the glove box, and the screwdrivers you need to change them.
    A bottle of antifreeze, a bottle of oil and a bottle of brake fluid. For most trips that's more than what you'll need to run the straight 8.
    Just don't rev it to oblivion (redline is 3750 rpm, which in top equates to 83mph, and cruising mine isn't really happy past about 2700rpm for extended periods, about 55mph). If you want to do that, yes. Put in a V8.

Phil

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

That color goes well with all that chrome. Looking forward to your plan, did it come with skirts?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

No skirts.

mcsfabrication, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. Wow! That is beautiful. A time capsule! You lucky dog, you.

Stogy, loudbang and 29StudeDude like this.
  10. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Most of the cruises and car shows I attend are on roads at 65 or over. The straight eight may look good in a museum or Pebble Beach display, but won't live in my uses.

11. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

The hood ornament not shown in the first photos. I can't wait to light this thing up! chief close.jpg P50 hood orn front (2).jpg P50 hood orn pass side (2).jpg

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

once one part changed from stock 20211023_151216.jpg everything is open to change

13. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Mine will fall under the Sleeper category. Original wrapper, with extra nuts inside!

14. I don't get why everyone is upset about the straight 8. What a dog of an engine.... That v8 is a far superior engine and will provide many easy and trouble free miles. And hey....it's still a pontiac.

15. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Amen brother.

16. brady1929

brady1929

17. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Dog is a bit cruel.

Boat anchor I'll agree with.

18. Nice, nice car - a buddy of mine restored a 4-door version of this same car and what a sweetheart it was! Congrats!

catdad49, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.

19. In its day the Pontiac flatheads were a decent engine, but they sure don't like rpm's! Those looong, poorly supported crankshafts are a weak point.
    But, having said that, my Mom had a '53 straight 8 that one of my brothers inherited and it would blow the doors off my other brother's (no, his name wasn't Darrel) '53 Ford. In today's driving/servicing world, upgrades are a good idea. Better transmissions available for the 350, too.
    NICE hood ornament!!!

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A newer dinosaur...:D

Not that there's anything wrong with that though as it's a right of passage here...;)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  21. 55Belairman

55Belairman

The sunviser is identical to the ones in my 55 Chevy Belair.

22. Awesome car. Congrats!
    As someone mentioned, I'm also curious about the front chrome vs. the back chrome....?? Looks like it was stored in a shed with a leaky roof over the back end?
    As much as I like to see rare vintage engines in our hot rods, when you live in places like Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, etc, it's a loooong drive to anywhere. 50mph ain't gonna cut it. I love my cruising at 75-80 on lonesome roads.

23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20211009_093052079.jpg IMG_20211009_093025744.jpg IMG_20211009_093036592_TOP.jpg
    This one was at the 'gathering at the roc'
    What's not to like about a poncho?
    Never connected with the owner to hear the story on this one, but I liked it
    I like yours
    Dare to be different...keep the inline

24. BJR

BJR

If the engine and hydromatic are in good condition, take a video of the engine running and of it going through the gears from a stop. Now you have proof of it's condition, and sell it to a restorer.

25. belair

belair

I remember one time my dad and I were looking at the hood ornament on one of those, and he said " You know what that Indian is looking for?" Of course I said "No." He said " He's looking for a gas station. Those straight eights were awfully thirsty." That was 45 years ago, and I think of him every time I see one. I would light it up asap too. Great little car.

26. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

That's how it should shift under really light load- though the motor should be smoother than that too, it was only firing on 7 properly there because I had a bad plug.
    If it runs like that it's eminently saleable. Boat anchor or not.

Phil

27. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Rocky rescued the car, so I am not sure, but you can see on the paint where blankets and foam laid on it. You can also tell by the chrome and paint that the rear must have been exposed. One front corner was dripped on so long, it ate right through the trim. It's a shame they didn't store it better!

28. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Rocky had it running for a few minutes, but it had a stuck valve. He never put it in gear to my knowledge, so he already has it half unhooked now. It's coming out for sure with no regrets. I may advertise them, but if no takers, they go to the scrapper.

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think putting a snotty v8 in it and dropping it down Midwest low (tm) is about the most rocky thing you could do. And then drive it across the country having to much fun.

I fully support this plan :)

bchctybob, Tman, PhilA and 1 other person like this.
  30. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had an Edmonds Pontiac straight 8 head and dual intake in my stash here in Omaha for years with no use for it. Sold it this last May down in Chickasha at the Pre War swap meet. If I would have known Rocky had this car I would have sold them or traded them to him.

chryslerfan55, PhilA and winduptoy like this.