Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 emergency cable stuck in backing plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novaskilling, Oct 23, 2021.

1. novaskilling

novaskilling

I just picked up set of 40 ford rear backing plates. There is a small piece of parking brake cable on the inside of the backing plate i cannot remove. is there a trick or tip to getting this out?

thanks chris.

2. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

More info, please. Picture?

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Soak it in 50/50 ATF and acetone. It has to be regular, NOT synthetic ATF, or it will not work. Also look to see (if ya can) which way the cable may be frayed. You'll want to work it out opposite that side. Yes, pics would help.

4. novaskilling

novaskilling

FED79AE3-9081-411E-BC12-49EDD20D9FBC.jpeg F386477C-E327-4EEF-9DC7-60F530FB98F9.jpeg F0E4C9FC-7BDF-4307-82D0-912DB6426D7F.jpeg
    FED79AE3-9081-411E-BC12-49EDD20D9FBC.jpeg

5. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. If they were run without the boot they fill up with mud and small stones and can be a bit of a chore to clear out. Just keep at it. It looks like you have enough cable on both ends to work it back and forth to get things moving. I had to do just that to clear one out a couple of weeks ago.

7. 1pickup

1pickup

My '39 was like that, but the tube was completely rusted out. I took the tubes out & couldn't find anybody stocking repos. There have been, in the past, people who were making replacement ones. So, I made a new one from an old cymbal stand. Now, I have chrome tubes!

stillrunners likes this.
  8. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

It looks to me as if the end of the tube has been smashed down against the spring. If that's the case, it won't pull out as an assembly until the end of the tube is loosened up. Soak it for a couple of days in penetrating oil, then try to straighten the broken off end of the cable or cut it off flush with the tube. See if the tube can be rounded out enough to let some pressure off the spring, if it's been smashed.
    Next try putting the little ball in a vise without squishing the spring and pull on the backing plate for all you're worth. Did it come out of the tube/spring? You may have to heat the tube to red hot to bust the rust loose. Wear safety glasses! The oil in the tube will flare up if you do this. If you can get the cable out of the spring it should be easy to clamp on to the spring ( It would unwind) and pull it out. I would recommend installing new tubes after cleanup. Macs auto parts used to carry new tubes. Check their website.
    Good luck.

9. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. I'd cut the ball off the end of the cable, that should relieve the compression on the spring. Oil it up(PB Blaster or other), then you can likely pull or wind spring out. Some back and forth on cable, picking out debris as you go.