Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Thermador Car Cooler Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Viking, Jul 24, 2018.

1. 59Viking

59Viking

Hello! I have been searching and searching this site and others trying to figure out how to rebuild a Thermador Car Cooler ( swamp cooler ). I have had some luck, but not much on certain things. I’m hoping some of you with experience can chime in and help me and others out.

I have got it all torn down as described in another thread.

1. What is the best string to replace it with and what size and length do I need.
    2. How do I run the string? (Any drawing/pictures would help!
    3. I replaced the pad with Dura cool blue stuff - good or bad idea. I’m going to try to upload picture. There is a small gap where the pad doesn’t meet up. Is that fine?
    4. How do I wind the spring?
    5. What is the best stuff to seal it back up with. Aqua Seal tape, roofing tar, silicone...???
    6. It looks as if someone started to peel off the sticker so I ordered a new one and removed the old one (I felt bad doing that, but I plan to repaint it to match my truck).
    I noticed there are two little “nipples” in the area where it goes. I found pics online and the sticker was directly under both of them - almost like it’ll they were guides... one side of mine was under it and the other side was on it. Which is correct?
    7. how is the front screen attached?
    8. When I took it apart, there were 2 star washers and 2 washers that I’m not sure where they came from. Anybody have a diagram of how it’s assembled and what parts go where? I think if someone could come up with a diagram and show what goes where and how, it would be a huge help for many!

I’m sure I’ll have more questions, but if you can help out in any way, I’d greatly appreciate it!!

Attached Files:

2. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Following. FWIW, we switched this year in our real swamp cooler to the aspen pads and they make an incredible difference, we weren't expecting to be the case. We've used the accordion paper style, the blue plastic pads but the aspen beats them both. NO idea if the benefit scales down from a real cooler to the car cooler size. It's certainly cheap enough in material costs to try both.

3. I’m impressed, that’s ambitious!

I have a pretty nice old Thermador, but on inspection it seemed to me it must be spot welded together.

Since it doesn’t come apart with screws or wrenches, I did’t really think it could be rebuilt?

I figured it had a an old paper filter that would fall apart if I tried to use it.

Consequently I’ve just hung in in my window glass as a period prop at show’s.

How the heck did you get it apart?

Is there a Thermador fan club and a link with information?

That tip to us Apsen Pads sounds priceless!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

5. Nacifan

Nacifan

I make Themadore Style "Swamp Coolers" from scratch. I have dies to stamp the ends and have stainless steel recoil springs. 001.JPG 10-16-2016 010.JPG OG cooler our inlet.JPG sept 2015 054.JPG swampcoolr 004 (2).JPG 006.JPG (My first big post apologies if it's a tad off)
    NaCi-fan

6. Nice work on those coolers.^^^^^^^

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What is the imput screen held on with. Mine seems to be an old rubber grommet.

8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Are you selling them?

9. Nacifan

Nacifan

Hey Fortunateson, You are correct the screen in the front screen is just held on with a little rubber grommet.
    39 Guy, I have an add on Craigslist in VA. for the Coolers I have for sale. There is almost always some on epay.
    all the best,
    NaCi-fan

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Do you sell the support rods?

11. Nacifan

Nacifan

PM me and we can talk Fortunateson.
    Naci-fan

OldSchoolRodz likes this.
  12. miwi

miwi