Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever wonder what happened to your Old Rod Hot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moonglow, Aug 31, 2021.

1. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I wonder about a couple of them but if they remained in Ohio they rusted away years ago...

wicarnut likes this.
  2. Built an 80" wheel base, tube framed, T bucket once that I bought back twice. Car had G60's on the front, L60's on the rear, Schroeder center steering, and 4 wheel disc brakes. Full on SBC, Kinsler F.I., prepped glide with large stall, 4:11 QC. Everything that happened in that car happened quick. You touched the go pedal, you were gone quick. You thought about stopping, you stopped quick. You looked left or right, you went left or right, quick. First guy I sold it to, ground looped it, trying to show off in front of his neighbors. Second guy shot across his alley backing out of his garage, and straight into his neighbor's garage. Both times I got a panic call, listened to some choice cuss words, and ended up buying it back for half what I sold it for. I'd go over, hop in, and drive it back to the shop. Really pissed them off that I didn't have a problem driving it. Hell, I drove the damn thing everywhere. Told my buddy if I sold it a few more times, it would end up paying for itself, or I'd buy what was left from the family. Drove it a bit more, got bored with it and blew it apart using the bits and pieces on various projects.

Every other one, when it was gone I couldn't care less.

wicarnut and Moonglow like this.
  3. I'd like to find my old '32 pickup, but wouldn't buy it back unless the numbers matched and it was registered as a '32 rather than a '31. :D

Moonglow likes this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ":T" bucket I built in '65-'66 is in pieces in my shop, waiting to be rebuilt with a touring body so there will finally be some room inside.

The ''67 Corvette coupe I bought new, I don't want to find, because if I did, it would either be too far gone to be resurrected, or too expensive to buy.

Good luck on your quest.

Moonglow likes this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-10-21_3-27-48.png

Hello,

We have a lot of films that I took from the 1957 to 64 era at our old Westside of Long Beach house and at the Lion’s Dragstrip nearby. It was lucky that beyond our neighborhood, the industrial tracts and the Wilmington oil refineries were abundant as it left a wide swath of land between the houses and industry.

We did not get interested in cruising and hot rods until my brother and his friends had their old sedans and old hot rod coupes. Then it was a mass of information, experimentation and a long line of drag racing experiences during our teenage years. It was something different than all of my friends interests and that was something.
    1958 Impala in 1957-60

Although the cool 51 Oldsmobile that my brother bought at age 15 and modified, his next car, a 1958 Impala was the long lasting hot rod sedan/cruiser that fit the So Cal lifestyle perfectly. It was my brother’s fast drag racing sedan and by the time I had my license, it became my daily driver and racer.

upload_2021-10-21_3-29-56.png
    This is what the 58 Impala with the C&O Stick Hydro, a bullet proof rear trailer hitch, Racer Brown Cam and motor accessories looked like as my friend who bought it, drove away in 1964. Black on black on black. I had just put on 4 new black Buick rims and new tires for him. My 4 Buick Skylark wire wheels got stolen and the new steel Buick wheels were the replacement. The new teenager did not care as he thought it looked mean and ready to race… which it was.

The teenager that bought it had several more years of high school and the Bixby Knolls cruising grounds. He had a good automotive knowledge and worked at a Shell Gas Station. I am not sure about seeing the 58 Impala after I left for college. We never went back to the stomping grounds as it was just time to move on to the next big thing in life. So, our class, much like other Bixby Knolls earlier classes knew just when it was over and our lives went the way it was supposed to happen.

But back in 2016-17, one of the HAMB folks, Andy, thought he had the 58 Impala. But, we never got the particulars like the bill of sale or photos to see if it was the real thing. My interior was the stock red pattern with a red dash and window surrounds. It was sold with the 4:56 Positraction gears and chrome accessories on the motor. If anyone tried to put on Chevy bolt pattern wheels on the 58 Impala, it has/had a Buick bolt pattern, so that should tell if it is my old 1958 black Impala.

Jnaki

So, for those that have 1958 Impala check to see any remains of a C&O Stick Hydro, a solid rear 2x3 metal trailer hitch, Moon Breathers on chrome valve covers. It could be a real 1958 Impala purchased at Cormier Chevrolet in downtown Long Beach in the fall of 1957. Please post photos if you think you have the one, or send me a conversation if possible. Thanks...

upload_2021-10-21_3-32-9.png Photo from the last school newspaper for 1962.
    Trailer hitch outline on the Impala.

upload_2021-10-21_3-32-49.png upload_2021-10-21_3-34-16.png

Moonglow and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. I don’t sell anything, problem solved, which creates a whole new problem….

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

That’s why Mark has a museum of hot ride and customs…..

8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I sold this a few years back... The guy who bought it tries to claim all the build as "his own" Now the car resides under a tarp in front of his house. Problem with getting one back is sometimes its basterdized beyond recognition, or FUBAR to the 10s... Honestly, I'd build another one with the knowledge I got off that one if I ever was tempted to go down that route again.
    I've sold alot, some I know where they are and if they ever were done anything with, others not so much.

Ill tell you this, the memory is more tempting than the actual owning of. Only way I would consider buying that back is if the body had sentimental value etc. If not, build another and do it better than you did last time.

Attached Files:

Moonglow likes this.
  9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I sold 2.5 cars in the past. 2 musclecars and most of a 39 Chevy coupe. I would love to get the Nova back but it's been on blocks since 1999 and owner not interested in selling. The other 2 have vanished

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

My 34 three window went to a new owner in 2013 and he gave it a new lease on life. Still going strong as far as I know. IMG_0214.JPG 164182790.jpg

11. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

I'm sure you do...................

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I don’t have a rear view mirror.

13. Richard Head

Richard Head

I had no idea that car was your old one.

14. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I sold a 50 Ford convertible to a country singer named Eddie Rabbit back in the 70's to get build money for a new larger shop. He told me it was his second favorite car and the only way he would part with it was if he found his favorite---a 36 Ford rumble seat cabriolet. I told him I would like to buy it back if he found a 36 and he said if he did he would give me first chance. About seven years later the phone rang and he said he had his 36 Cabriolet and was giving me a buy back call. I didn't have the cash at the time but will always remember him as a man of his word.

15. Canuck

Canuck

Sold my 47 to a fellow in north Dakota, after a few years it was sold and last I heard it was down in the Badlands of South Dakota. upload_2021-10-22_0-53-31.png
    Sold my Model A coupe to a fellow in Saskatchewan and it disappeared from there, location unknown. Be interesting to see what happened to it and where it ended up.
    upload_2021-10-22_0-55-18.png

Moonglow likes this.
  16. sold this 37 to a guy in Denver a few years back, heard he sold it,...don't know the where a bouts now, anyone seen it?
    37 coupe 5-10 016.jpg

Moonglow likes this.
  17. Sometimes you don't want to know. I was dealing '65 to '68 Impala and Belair parts years back. I had noses stacked up 3-high in the side yard.

The next town over, there was a guy who had a terrible reputation for crashing cars while drunk. He comes to me looking for a '66 nose and I had one still on a car and he asked if the whole car was for sale since he could swap his parts over to mine. A deal was struck.

A few weeks later I hear he wrecked the '66 again and was in the hospital. The last I saw of him, he was in a wheel chair for life... paralyzed.

Moonglow likes this.
  18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Built this 55 about 30 years ago. Popped up on market place about 2 weeks ago. Owner lives about 35 miles away. Got to take pictures of it and ride in it again before it went to it's new home. Now will be about 50 miles away. It had been from Kansas to Georgia and back to Kansas again. There was very little change from how it looked when I built and sold it. The person I originally sold it too also said that he had built it. I showed the owner all the build pictures and receipts, guess who he believed after that. Glad it's still around and someone is enjoying it. Only thing is, it just sold for about 3x's what I had sold it for 30 years ago..... IMG_2484[3133].jpg IMG_3754 - Copy (2).jpg

19. Moonglow

Moonglow

No offense HRP, but criticizing a build that's not anywhere near complete misses the point. "Better but your bullet back in your pocket Barney".

If I was building a hot rod today, it would be completely different than my first stab at it, as my interests have changed. But again, that's not the point.

What this thread was meant to be, and gratefully has become, was the idea that we really don't own our cars at all. We are stewards of them for a short time, at best. Some survive after we've had them, and some don't. And some become part of someone else's new build, to live on in totally different way.

I've enjoyed reading the stories of the comings and goings of other's rods. Keep 'em coming fellas.

Rock on...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    stillrunners likes this.
  20. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

AFE82961-8853-4D9B-9154-E82C40E2B80E.jpeg 288B1CB6-7387-4379-BEC2-197BCF7C9E6D.jpeg Top picture is how it ended up bottom picture is how it was when I had it. It was the best street legal go cart ever. I kinda still miss it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    wicarnut and Moonglow like this.
  21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

October 2018 in WA the day it sold and August 2021 in Iowa
    Looks like it's still in one piece and getting around..

cropped.jpg aug 2021 atlantic iowa.jpg

mad mikey, Moonglow and ss34coupe like this.
  22. Not many HAMB friendly stuff sold that I wonder where it is now. About the only one I have been trying hard to track down was a custom 55 Chevy pickup my grandfather built to basically replace Taboo when he sold it. Last I knew the truck had somehow crossed the ocean to Australia and thats where I lost track of it. I could build a clone as my grandpa kept good records of all the custom work done to it, but I kinda just want the real thing back in the family.

I have sold some OT muscle cars that I have ran across later and everyone of them was basically cut up or stripped for parts. So I stopped looking for them.

Moonglow and Paul like this.
  23. cabong

cabong

I didn't sell mine, but gave it away. I figure it went to a good home, as it resides in the NHRA Museum. Ak Miller.jpg

24. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Lots of cool stories here, I recently bought back my old high school hot rod. Back when I sold it I was 18 years old. Before selling it I pulled the engine out of it (because the intake, heads and Cam were Borrowed from the speed shop) and I needed the short block for a tow truck project. I always knew where it was for the last 29 years and tryed to buy it back but guy would not sell it to me. Finally after him never doing anything with it he called and sold it to me for about 5 times what I sold it for. As they say be careful what you wish for as after getting it back I was reminded why I got rid of the piece of shit in the first place. It was pretty rough back when I was 18 and let's just say it hasn't improved with age. So I am up in the air if I am gonna keep it or not.

Moonglow likes this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I got drafted in '71 I sold my '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon to a guy I worked with. Built 289, headers, solid lifter cam, and a T-10. For a car built by a guy who thought he knew a lot more than he actually did it still ran like a raped ape. Next time I saw it was when I came home on leave. The guy I sold it to side swiped a power pole and the entire driver's side from the door to the tail gate was bashed in. Never did know what happened to it after that nor did I want to. But, there were some really gone times associated with that car. Both running and parked.:cool:

mad mikey likes this.
  26. I know exactly where it is, and what it's doing. And yes, letting it get away is one of the biggest regrets of my life.
    [​IMG]

27. No disrespect meant but some projects come and go with some ever becoming a driven vehicle, just parts for other projects.
    I sold my daily driven for 5 years 28A sedan to a mate to finance another car and it sits in a shed,not 5 miles from me , hasn’t fired a shot since being driven to his property , 9 yrs now.
    I miss it really but can’t be concerned, it’s not mine anymore.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-9_4-26-16.png
    Hello,

From 1960 to 1964, the Salmon Pink Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was seen all along the So Cal coastline during our surf adventures. From as far North in Santa Barbara down near the Baja border, it/we saw plenty of different waves and rode them to our heart's content. It was easy to say the Flathead Sedan Delivery, delivered reliability and consistency, like the great waves that we saw and rode. It was a great time to be a teenager.

During most of our weekly adventures, we liked going to Huntington Beach Pier for all-season surfing. In the summer, we battled the South Swells that touched the bottom of the pier with the curl and offshore winds whipping through. During the winter, the big waves from the Northwest came barreling in making the pier a target for the waves and for us to “shoot the pier” when possible.
    HB Pier surfing 1962 Thanks, Dad...

Jnaki

Then one day my brother and I advertised a 9 foot 6 inch, custom, home-made surfboard for sale during one of our surf trips to Huntington Beach. Word of mouth got around and some young kid from Bellflower called to say he wanted to buy the surfboard. He saw it leaning on the viewing area of the HB Pier parking lot.

So, he came over to our Westside of Long Beach house to buy it, with his mother. The board was buffed to shine, his mother was happy that her son liked the “new,” shiny, surfboard. The cost was much lower than what was available in shops anywhere. He was too young to drive, but that did not stop him from buying his first surfboard.

Over the years, he became a surf shop owner on the main street of the coastal downtown area and it was a place that always had a crowd hanging around. To us, it was for inland folks that wanted to see what a real surf shop looked like right in the middle of the downtown beach city.

He was a centerpiece as he got older, just because of being the owner of the surf shop. So, in 1964, summer session at the Huntington Beach Pier was coming to a close. I knew I was going to college and I needed to sell my Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. So, I advertised it on the door and parked it where most people could see it, on the beach side of the highway, in front of the Golden Bear Restaurant/music complex.

I was contacted by him one day we were all hanging around after a surf session. He offered to buy the sedan delivery for his new shop. We laughed and connected after a few episodes and finally settled on a good price.

So, the Salmon Pink 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with the Flathead was now sitting across the PCH on Main Street in front of his surf shop. Chuck Dent Surfboards. I did not see the sedan delivery again as I was in Northern California for the next couple of years.

But, one day I walked down Main Street to visit some shops and there he was out in front of his shop talking to a couple of girls, telling them how he built the sedan delivery for his surf trips. Ha! It was the same sedan delivery, as no changes had been done except for something hanging from the rear view mirror inside.

So, where is it now and what happened to the sedan delivery?
    upload_2022-2-9_4-42-24.png Display at the HB Surf museum.
    "Chuck Dent knew how to attract attention. The man who once described himself as "the original angry young man of surfing" had a knack for salesmanship. Even though he wasn't the best surfer in town, his ability to cultivate an image as a great surfer compensated for any athletic shortcomings.”

The name of the brand is still around today, but the shop is no longer on Main Street in the downtown area. It is across the parking lot from a hot rod/classic car restoration shop. It is almost three miles inland from the original surf shop and pier.
    upload_2022-2-9_4-44-3.png

The Flathead 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery? Who knows? It has been almost 58 years since I waved good-bye to a good friend painted a Salmon Pink that had seen us together for 1000’s miles of coastal surfing road trips, everywhere imaginable.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    mitch 36 and Hamtown Al like this.
  29. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I have a habit of selling cars to people who hound me for ages, then see the cars sitting in field rotting away a year later.

So no, I oft wonder but don't want to know. My car stopped being my car at the point I sold it. After that, it's their car.

30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back in the day, I know what happened to some of my cars, first car, my avatar 57 Chevy, traded for a beautiful mild kustom 56 chevy ragtop, man totaled 57 in his first street race, I wrecked the 56 about 2 months later, sold it and it was rebuilt, saw it cruising locally, I traded for a kool custom 60 Ford ragtop, reluctantly sold it, I was offered so much cash had to take it, kid totaled it within 3 months, my 58 Impala ragtop when sold got crashed/totaled, To this day I've never totaled a car, tore up a few racers in my 21 year adventure. My 3 HAMB cars, HighBoy Roadster traded for an unfinished 32, finished it, enjoyed, sold it, new owner crashed it about 2 months, rebuilt it, sold, now in Germany, 51 Merc was sold to a current HAMB member and the Roadster is still alive and well in New York as I was called and questioned about the car a few years ago. I know where all of my race cars landed, # 1 my Dad's midget, in my family since 1948, still have it, under restoration by me, #2 my most successful midget racer, sold, it went through a few owners, was destroyed, chassis thrown away, #3 another Midget another winning car sold, ran some, sitting in that mans garage I'm told, #4 Sprint car #1 ran successfully, sold, still running in Mn. first as a limited, then as a vintage racer #5 Sprint car, sold it, ran successfully for many years locally, then was his back up car more years, he still has it, a garage decoration now. Check my albums for pics.

RJP likes this.