Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Halibrand...?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by itsmeinthelbc, Oct 21, 2021.

1. itsmeinthelbc

itsmeinthelbc

So I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 31 roadster and it has a quick change in it. I spoke to the builder and he said its a Halibrand. Next time by I will see if I see any markings but in the mean time there is a side cover to this unit that I have never seen before, let alone on a Halibrand. I'm a bit green in this area... so not sure. Anyway all thoughts are appreciated.

Attached Files:

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  2. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

cover plate where the internal shifter would go.Casting is new enough that it could have been used in a modern sprint or midget-they engage and dis-engage the driveline with a coupler on the lower shaft.when the rear is used in your app. a normal one piece lower shaft is used and the cover plate installed.Look at a current Winter cataloge for a better explination

3. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

P.S.-with that rear cover and pass.car axle tubes-it was probably for a midget,most likely 6 spline change gears-all cool stuff!

4. itsmeinthelbc

itsmeinthelbc

Wow, trip... I get it. That's their neutral. Great information, much appreciated. Hoping to find some Halibrand stampings on it somewhere next time I'm by.

5. loudbang

loudbang

A little easier to see :)

1a.JPG

6. Great looking Roadster by the way. Hope you can make it yours.

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I think that is probably a V8 Midget. Originally made by Ted Halibrand and later by Bob Higman and National.
    Notice the front is an inch shorter than a 201 Halibrand.
    The rear cover is also different than the traditional Halibrand piece. The side shifter plate usually indicates a two piece lower shaft. V8 Midget National.JPG V8 Midget Right 2.JPG V8 Rear Covers 1.JPG

8. itsmeinthelbc

itsmeinthelbc

That's it, great information! I'll look for the stampings on the drivers side next time I'm by. Yeah not sure about the rear cover... after market something... Thanks again sir...!

loudbang likes this.
  9. itsmeinthelbc

itsmeinthelbc

Thanks. 31 on 32 rails, original Dago dropped axle, mid year fresh flatty w/Isky 3/4, Fenton intake, heads, headers, ... and what we believe to be a Halibrand QC. Shooting for something short of $37k.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I've never seen a genuine National V8/Midget rear cover. That one might be it!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Making that sweet little roadster your avatar photo before ownership kinda hurts your bargaining position some. Lol;)

12. itsmeinthelbc

itsmeinthelbc

... maybe a bit off topic on this thread, but the builder said it has a S10 tranny in it. The only non-period correct component. Is this somewhat common..?