Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Damn the sun…just drive it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malibu406, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Malibu406

Malibu406

522172BA-357D-481C-8466-CF0F0ABFDBA5.jpeg 098AC8AC-B136-407A-8D24-5E627BE75907.jpeg Now this is using your hot rod

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Been there and more… C6428C37-68FF-4EEF-86FD-F7AB0739752F.jpeg

3. I'd be shitting bricks at that point. :eek:

catdad49 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

Gotta have electric…

Roothawg and loudbang like this.

5. I love that other people drive stuff like I do.

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I have a 28A roadster,and for many years,had no ragtop for it! Just got wet if I got caught in the rain. Kind of like riding a MC.
    I live in south Florida,not cold very often an very short storms mostly . The fog in early AM can be very wet fog.
    After many years of no top,an I'm getting older an softer,I built a folding top< I did a tech here on the HAMB for doing that.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...top-a-how-too-do-it-tech.857951/#post-9479688
    Yes it's also nice to stay out of hot sun too sometimes. This pic is wet fog,just starting to lift in AM. first light of day on a rod run{ about 50+ miles with 5 hot rods}. SouthBeachArtDeco1amfog.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

Why let a little rain spoil the fun? I've left my house in the rain before.
    The snow does get a bit sketchy though, been caught in the snow a couple of times.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the good of driving in wet/frozen conditions is that you are driving - the bad is when the drivetrain, lighting, etc fails - your tires/brakes, etc fail when trying to drive/stop - worse is when the driver of another car plows into you because they lose control in the wet/frozen weather - I have never enjoyed being stuck in mud/flooded road or sliding off a ice covered highway - but, each to their own type of fun

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  9. Winter is a reality here. A little rain or wet snow is no big deal.

10. raven

raven

Rain (deluge), snow(sleet), freezing temps, and of course the occasional sunny day. That's what my roadster and me drive in.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've lived here all of my 65 years here in the north west corner of IL, I've been legally driving since the day I turned 16, that means 49 winters. I try not to drive my hot rods in the snow (except those that were built for that purpose), but there have been times I've gotten caught in snow coming home from an event. There are some things you do to prepare to drive in wet/snow conditions. I have not had failures in the drive train, lighting, brakes, tires, or etc during all those years of winter driving (there is a better chance of a breakdown during the summer months for me, I drive more). There may have been an occasional dead or low charged battery or some other minor incident, but rest assured, I take care of my stuff. The stopping can be a challenge, but driving slower nearly always helps. Traction to get moving is also something that is more of a learned experience, but there are some vehicles that just have a problem with traction more then others. Getting stuck in the mud or snow, or sliding off an ice covered road is never fun, I try not to do those things. Driving on a flooded road is just crazy, I just don't do that, ever.

All that said, I'm not going to sit at home because it raining, and if I get caught in a snow storm coming home, Ill slow down and drive carefully. As far as breakdowns, I expect my rides (all of them) to get me back home every time I take them out, but if something happens, I have AAA.

12. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

PXL_20211012_143145252.jpg The Chevy II is in the garage where it ought to be in this crap! This was last week.

13. ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    to some guys on here, that looks like T bucket weather.....o_O

'34 Ratrod, raven, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

I was scolded more than a few times for driving my stuff. Well, I told them, "it's either this or the shoe leather express." Have a Nice Day!

15. Well said. Thank you

Ben

Deuces likes this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I routinely drove my Bucket in the snow. It was a blast!!

catdad49, raven and Deuces like this.
  17. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

We had a cold snap (it got down to 28 degrees, quite unheard of for the south coast).
    Decent thermostat, grille blocked off mostly, rebuilt heater valve, clear circulation to the heaters and a decent fan to keep the screen clear. Vacuum wiper motor rebuilt with decent blades.
    Drive it with consideration that the oil in the engine, transmission and rear end need to warm up, and that the grease and rubber parts are all a lot less flexible.

It's a car, it was meant to be driven.

Phil

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sorry, but unless I get caught out in it, I'm not leaving home in it. Just takes far too long to clean up after a trip in the rain.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

A few years back on the Hot Rod Hundred, we drove into a typical Oklahoma storm. I had 250 cars behind me and I was sure we would have most peel off and go home. They all hung with us. That was one of the driving factors (no pun intended) why we created the event. Cars are meant to be driven.

20. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Driving in the snow scares me as there are to many idiots with 4 wheel drive who cannot get it thru their skull it
    is not an aid in braking. My car will stay in the garage in the snow, I have too much time and $$ in it to see it destroyed
    by an idiot driving too fast in the snow.

seb fontana and Jalopy Joker like this.
  21. 1C1FF62F-8F01-460D-BC6E-878E76B9F3B7.jpeg
    I Just about walked home from work…

I decided I would take a chance on driving it home….tuns out I had just as much fun as when it’s sunny.

straykatkustoms, R A Wrench and Lil32 like this.
  22. Malibu406

Malibu406

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

WI Hot Rod 100 anyone? LOL! I've done several Hot Rod 100s, including all of the WI ones. Its generally over 100 miles for me just to get to the starting point, and we have seen some crappy weather, before, during, and after. My car or truck will not melt away if it gets wet.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have always wanted to come up there for that one. I always end up with a work or family conflict, so I quit promising I was gonna try. Someday…

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. Life is too short to be this worried . I am 84, have driven several MILLION miles and have never been hit by an idiot driving a 4wd. ;)

Ben

clem, TrailerTrashToo and 57 Fargo like this.
  26. Years ago while driving my first roadster, it crapped out during an un-expected April snow storm. I walked to a buddy's house where a buddy from California was visiting. The buddy from California answered the door, and said Nick, you are all wet, is it raining ? I said, no, it is snowing. He said but it is April, and I said it is Connecticut, not southern California. Then I asked, could you tow me home ? It turned out to be a plugged fuel line.

27. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Being blinded by the sun can be just as dangerous, but doesn't last as long.
    55 Tbirds did not come with sun visors, not even as an option. You could get power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, windshield washer, and automatic transmission, but no sun visors or seat belts until 56. I'm installing sun visors in mine. Reproduction visors and hardware cost $300+. The required 56-57 interior windshield molding is not being reproduced. I bought used moldings on ebay, with one piece coming from Canada.
    Sun glasses would have been cheaper and might prolong cataract surgery.

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I don't mind driving in the winter too much, but the other idiots out there scare me. Weather can change fast, too.

What gets my attention, is "white out" on the highway. Wind comes up, snow comes down. Lines in the road start to get covered, drifting. Optical illusion can make it appear car is motionless as snow flakes barrel directly at the windshield. "WTF am I doing out here!?" Can't continue on due to visibility.. and can't stop or may get jack hammered... F Winter.

29. rear tires lighting up at every stop sign?

30. I wouldn’t do something like that….:cool: