Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Question for old time body guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnnyP., Apr 19, 2017.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

So true, lots of lazy bodymen used lead the same way, I've seen it well over 1" thick covering ancient " repairs"...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. i have actually melted original factory lead out of seams to find rust and a lot of the time the lead wasn't even done well. panel is straighter after i redo it.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

I used to have a Hot Rod "Annual" book that I think was published in 1962 and one of the articles followed along as some kid customized his mom's '56 Oldsmobile, they used some kind of plastic filler on that car then. (They also mentioned that some popped out of the holes it was used to fill, they were trying to shave side trim with it).

The old repairs on that Porsche fender look pretty good compared to some of the fixes I've seen on old cars over the years. And apparently it held up for a very long time.

4. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I do remember Auto Body Solder, I believe it was used in the aircraft industry. I used it to deck my '47 Plymouth in 1954 and my first chopped '32 grille shell.

5. BJR

BJR

Napa sold a body filler in the late 60's called Blue Moon.

6. Nacifan

Nacifan

[​IMG]
    I would like to suggest the real question is what is this shop going to do to rework all these bad seams and Repairs ?? Re working or replacing these spots could surely reduce or eliminate all the"Mudd" you have encountered...

7. indyjps

indyjps

f131fcfb-6526-4f08-9b02-056b40ea66db_1.b4c7b0262f942405d2cfd755be955f23.jpeg
    Still looks the same :D

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

High dollar on 356 Porsches means new panels (OE, aftermarket or shop fabricated) or metal finished repairs welded at factory locations finished with lead.
    The bar is high.

fauj likes this.