Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest When I was in school 60+ years ago "I heard" about....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Oct 20, 2021.

1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

It was a '65 442 ragtop, she could handle a 4 speed really well. I beat her with my '66 Nova.
    I went hungry that day.

upspirate, williebill and Deuces like this.
  2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

What a fun thread.

upspirate, hotrodjack33 and Deuces like this.
  3. Well my 50 year class reunion is next year. That said 60+ years ago I was in school and there was a car lot right off of Army Street in San Fransisco that had a caddy they supposedly was used on a mob hit that they couldn't sell. The story was that it was left off of Embarcadero and the body/car was not found for a week or two. it did have an odor for sure but older now and wiser it could have been rats or a dead cat. LOL

Deuces likes this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Was it a middle finger ?

hotrodjack33 and Deuces like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Do you know someone missing one?

Deuces and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

as far as the ‘odor’… a good ion air cleaner device removes the odor…

Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Good to know. :D

Deuces likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! A yellow '70 Vette with a an LS-6... Pretty rare...

upspirate likes this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

No that's making an offer ya can't refuse.... :cool:

10. Deuces

Deuces

:confused:

11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yup, even had the principle of our school fall for it

Deuces likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

An old friend told me about a bad wreck south of Tillamook. After the ambulance and wrecker had left the scene, someone found a toe along the side of the road. So they called the authorities to let them know, their reply was, " we will send out a Toe truck".

bowie, impala4speed, clem and 4 others like this.
  13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Heard about an Indian Princess named Chevra'Lay, who was very lonely until she met another Indian named Chief Pontiac.
    Well, here's the story, of a man named Chief Pontiac who had three boys and they lived all alone. Until one day when he met this Indian Princess, named Chevra'Lay, with three girls of her own. They knew that some how, they must become a family and they drove Fords for the rest of their lives.
    Then they hired a Tee-Pee keeper and brought their doggy with them. And then after a couple of years, all of a sudden, the doggy came up missing. Well, they searched and searched but they never found him.
    Until this one day when when the doggy rode past their Tee-Pee in a 1966 Corvette that was once owned by Private Andrew Malone...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  14. Yep! Heard it in high school, the late 50s, early 60s. Must have something to do with a Corvette being every high school boy's dream car, made out of unobtainium and un-insurance-ium.
    Man in a newish Corvette, lonely desert highway, heart attack and rolled behind rocks/shrubs/billboard sign, sat long enough to get really ripe. The first time I heard it I was sort of skeptical because all new carpet and upholstery didn't cost that much, but I figured, "What the heck. It's possible". The next 5 times I had it told me, I knew it was horse pucky. If memory serves, the tellers of the tales usually claimed to either know the buyer or a close relative knew 'em.

Deuces likes this.
  15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's a real story. when I was in High School the guy who lived across the street from my good buddy was a Corvette restorer/rebuilder. he bought two wrecks to make into one and there was a hand in one of them from the accident.

Bandit Billy, Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  16. A guy in the neighborhood was into restoring 60's Jags. One evening the wife came out to rip into him for not coming in for dinner. Found him slumped over the carburetors.

Deuces likes this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

How about the hundred miles per gallon carburetor, that was invented and bought and destroyed by an oil company?

Bones

i.rant, VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Deuces likes this.
  19. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

No, no, no - it wasn’t a dead guy.

The real story was that the wife of a concrete truck driver was having an affair with a guy that drove a brand new Cadillac convertible. Concrete truck driver goes by his house, sees new Caddy parked in front of his house, figures his wife is ‘entertaining’ the guy, pulls up next to the convertible and pokes the chute through the top, dumps 10 yards of concrete into the car.

Honest - true story, told to me by the girlfriend of a cousin of a friend of the guy that drove the concrete truck…….

20. cabong

cabong

When I was painting old 356 Porsches in Costa Mesa, I had a guy do the "cut and buff" on all my paint jobs. Seems he approached a guy who had a '32 in his garage that had belonged to his son, who died in Vietnam. He agreed to sell the old hot rod, but wanted a hundred bucks for every year that he had to store it in his garage. Well, it hadn't been that many years, so it was a steal....... The buyer was my very good friend Julian "Jules" Alvarez..... I believe his family still has that 3-window, and I still have a very big hole in my heart, left by the passing of a very, very, good man !!!!

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me, it was always the guy who bought a new Corvette, got drafted and was sent to Viet Nam where he was killed. The car sat for years because his mother wouldn't sell it. Finally after she passed, someone bought it for next to nothing. A variation of the story has the car turning out to be some other, less desirable Chevrolet.

When I was in high school, it was trying decide on whether we wanted new Harley 45's for $50 or new Jeeps for $100. Both were supposedly packed in Cosmoline, which was said to be impossible to clean off.

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

True story I hadn't thought of in years....

1977, senior in high school. A buddy wrecked his 67 Malibu, was looking for another. Him and me went to Tuscaloosa AL to look around at a few lots. Found a beautiful 67 Chevelle SS 396, medium blue with dark blue bucket seats and console. That was as far as we got to look, when he opened the passenger side door, a body fell over in the seat! His head was all bloody, somebody had beat the hell out of him. Still don't know if he was dead or alive, we didn't stick around after telling the salesman he had a body in that Chevelle. He didn't much believe a couple of 17 year old kids until he went over there!

My buddy ended up buying an identically colored 67 Chevelle, only it had a 327 instead of the 396. And it didn't come with the free body!

Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  23. We have some really good spray at the firehouse, otherwise, my job can be pretty hard sometimes lol. But I usually get good deals on pistols when people decide they just can't take it anymore ;) just kidding:p I do know where a house is that has a C3 in it. Wealthy family, last name Blankenship, they ordered the car for a high school graduation gift, but the son was killed in a car wreck before the day came. They had the car put in his bedroom, and to my knowledge, it's still there.

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

Huh????.....:confused:

vtx1800, clem, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  25. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

glad I am not the only one...

26. Working at Jaguar I was doing some work on a XKE

had to remove the seats to get the carpet out, reached under the seat and found pulled out a 2’ double ended dildo :eek:

to be honest, a dead body would have been better !!

27. nope I’m not sure either

Blue One, Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  28. gene-koning

gene-koning

For years my shop was next to a towing company's impound lot. Often I'd wonder over and look at the wrecked cars that would be brought in there.

It didn't take very long to learn to expect seeing things you really didn't want to see. I learned to find out how serious the injuries of the occupants were before looking too hard on the inside of some of those newly arrived wrecks.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. Fifteen years ago I had to pull the headliner down in an old Freightliner to get to the air horns. These old Freightliners had storage cubby holes above your head for random stuff. During the course of my work, a, uh, nasty gentleman’s magazine landed in my lap. The next thing to fall out was the driver’s tube of “personal” lubricant. Definitely an oh what next? moment.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  30. Got the song by David Ball, song co-written by Wood Newton and Thom Shepherd, yet I can not yet figure out the Native American part.

Read More: Story Behind the Song: David Ball, 'Riding With Private Malone' | https://theboot.com/david-ball-ridi...yrics/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

"Riding With Private Malone" Lyrics
    I was just out of the service thumbing through the classifieds
    When an ad that said old Chevy somehow caught my eye
    The lady didn't know the year or even if it ran
    But I had that thousand dollars in my hand
    It was way back in the corner of this old ramshackle barn
    With 30 years of dust and dirt on that green Army tarp
    And when I pulled the cover off, it took away my breath
    What she called a Chevy was a 66 Corvette
    I felt a little guilty as I counted out the bills
    What a thrill I got when I sat behind the wheel
    I opened up the glove box and that's when I found the note
    The date was 1966 and this is what he wrote
    He said, my name is Private Andrew Malone
    And if you're reading this, then I didn't make it home
    But for every dream that's shattered, another one comes true
    This car was once a dream of mine, now it belongs to you
    And though you may take her and make her your own
    You'll always be riding with Private Malone
    Well, it didn't take me long at all, I had her running good
    I loved to hear those horses thunder underneath her hood
    I had her shining like a diamond and I'd put the ragtop down
    All the pretty girls would stop and stare as I drove her through town
    The buttons on the radio didn't seem to work quite right
    But it picked up that oldie show, especially late at night
    I'd get the feeling sometimes, if I turned real quick I'd see
    A soldier ridin' shotgun in the seat right next to me
    It was a young man named Private Andrew Malone
    Who fought for his country and never made it home
    This car was once a dream of his, back when it was new
    And he told me to take her and make her my own
    And I was proud to be riding with Private Malone
    Well, one night it was raining hard, I took the curve too fast
    And I still don't remember much about that fiery crash
    Someone said they thought they saw a soldier pull me out
    They didn't get his name, but I know without a doubt
    It was a young man named Private Andrew Malone
    Who fought for his country and never made it home
    This car was once a dream of his, back when it was new
    And I know I wouldn't be here if he hadn't tagged along
    Yeah, that night, I was riding with Private Malone
    Oh, thank God, I was riding with Private Malone
    Private Malone

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    knucklenutz, Deuces and EL MOE like this.