Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Mild custom Studebaker. Toughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrland, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Hey,

Bought me this 61 Silver Hawk two weekends ago. Picked it up 650 miles from home. Drow it home with no issues more then expensive gas (7.78 dollar per gallon). Its mild custom with frenched headlights and some trim removed and doorhandles are shaved. It has a souped up Chevy 350 and a manuell T10 fourspeed. Will do some small custom updates to it and then just cruise around.

Attached Files:

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Norrland

I like it! Looks good! Being a Studebaker guy myself I feel qualified to render an opinion..:D

Seriously, Nice Car. I have owned four Stude coupes over the years…a ‘54 Commander, a ‘53 Champion, a ‘61 Hawk like yours and my current long term keeper, a ‘56 Sky Hawk. Also have a nice ‘60 Lark VIII hardtop and a couple of project ‘54 Conestoga Wagons.

Driving a new acquisition home is a great feeling….especially when you make it all the way with no breakdowns. Congratulations on your Hawk.

Ray

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Never been a fan of that body style, but the alterations are tasteful.
    The "porta walls" in the front fenders could go away without problem.
    A touch lower stance would look very good. It doesn't need much. Even the black wheels aren't too...bad.

Have fun with it.

Here's one of my Studebakers -

upload_2021-10-19_15-51-11.jpeg

Mike

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    48fordnut, Stogy, Tman and 3 others like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

I like it and making that first successful trip is a Big plus!

5. Very good score!

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Very cool! Now drive the wheels off it and have fun!

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Race it in Mexico!

blowby and Stogy like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Hnstray, VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  10. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

The kind of ride that does not require any further radical changes.
    fix, maintain, drive it and you can enjoy it pretty much as is for decades.

dan31, Hnstray, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  11. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I think it has a kool look. Maybe chrome reversed wheels? Definitely no mags,
    not even Torq Thrusts. Dare to be different and go crusin'.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. brading

brading

I like it, think it looks very cool.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Not that I have the skills or the balls to do it, but with the fins and the look of the “cockpit” my first thought was a ranchero/el Camino conversion.

Take out the rear 1/4 windows, move the rear of the roof up up front to make it a two seater ….etc.

But I can screw up a wet dream.

Stan Back and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  14. v8flat44

v8flat44

I love those cars. Drove a supercharged 4 speed one back in the day & fell in love. Keep it simple & clean.
    For me, I'd much prefer the Stude engine....just me. Nice score, ENJOY !!!

stillrunners and Stogy like this.
  15. 5brown1

5brown1

Attached Files:

16. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-cars-of-all-time.140719/page-4#post-14205961

Hello,

Nice purchase on that Studebaker. Back in those old days, my brother and I were tossing around choices for future sedans for our cruising/hot rod scene. the thought of a stock, factory issue supercharger on a motor was enticing. There were a few people doing modifications to Studebakers at the time, in our area of So Cal, but with your current set up with an popular SBC it should not be a problem.

My brother was in the middle of wanting a Model A coupe with a modified SBC motor. But, at reading information about the t bird with the supercharger and the Studebaker with a supercharger spurred him toward thinking he wanted on or the other. A t-Bird would not cut the insurance portion of teenage driving, so he was leaning toward the supercharged Studebaker for being an individual.

As a teenager, we all like to be different. He was quiet and not too intimidating, although being quiet and physically filled out was intimidating in itself. So, his idea of the only teenager in So Cal with a Studebaker was going to be ok for him. It certainly was going to be different for both of us. At least I was thinking of being the next in line to get his now, Lime Green 1951 Oldsmobile as my first car.

Jnaki

For your purchase, it looks to be very clean. Since you know how it runs, then you can keep it running as is or do your own modifications as much or as little as you want. Usually, a nice set Moon Discs will make your car look like it is going fast. The original screw in models or snap in model, whatever is your choice. It is the look of smoothness that was first seen on these Studebaker models at the salt flats or dry lakes. Those moon discs will go with your lowered stance to make something really nice. YRMV

The look of the three portholes on the fender is not as cool as thought and probably will be your first modification to remove them.
    upload_2021-10-20_4-56-46.png
    We are very familiar with portholes in the fenders as we come from family whose dad was a Buick fanatic from 1941 to 1984. His Buick Roadmasters were full of those Buick inspired designer holes. Not real holes, but decorative holes. On your Studebaker, they seem out of place. Your Studebaker is a good design all on its own and does not need holes to look like a Buick.

If you can get over the “hole” situation, just enjoy the Studebaker and all it offers, to drive around with a smile on your face. But, for our opinions, they are just that… IOHO.

41 GMC K-18, Jessie J. and Stogy like this.
  17. topher5150

topher5150

A bit of inspiration
    IMG_20210911_133938796_HDR.jpg

dan31, 48fordnut, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  18. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

If there were a classic nailhead under the bonnet, the borrowed portholes would hold some significance.

catdad49, Stogy and Hnstray like this.
  19. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

20. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

straykatcustoms1 - HERE.jpg Like this one? - Lead Ain't Dead 2020

Russ

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Those Caddy taillights at the end of the fins is pure genius!

Ray

southerncad, Tman and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  22. Have a set of those caddy taillights in the shelfs. Tought about use them on a 55 Commander i had before. Think they will get a new home on this 61

straykatkustoms and Hnstray like this.
  23. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Anyone care for the warts on the roof?

24. Did a quick test with smoothie rims just to get an idea

Attached Files:

25. I always thought those needed a 2" chop or so in the front since the roof always looks like it is running uphill

But I dig it!

26. Budget36

Budget36

Ya. That looks slick.

27. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool one, go fill the tank, good luck !

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Can't speak for anyone else, but I think the whole roof treatment, and especially the ‘warts’ was not well done.

Ray

GasserTodd, BJR and Stogy like this.
  29. verde742

verde742

In our small town we had several "studes" a friend bot a '61, first thing we did was unbolt the fins, and look for a 53-54 hood, never did find one before he totalled it. DS.

You scored big time..
    I like,"cept for portholes !!!

Boyd chopped a stude about 2-3 inches in the front, sounds good, but I personally did not care for the lines, after the chop. My friend with me didn't even notice.

vtx1800, Hnstray and Stogy like this.