Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Top loader 3 speed springs/balls

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by novaskilling, Oct 20, 2021.

1. novaskilling

novaskilling

C1F80D49-EF2D-4B58-87A4-4FF3E0FE8671.jpeg Need a little help please. Converting my open drive 3 speed to closed drive. When I pulled the mainshaft out the synchronizer sleeve slid off and out fell three little balls and springs with matching cupped plates.
    My question is what is the orientation to install these? Spring-ball-plate? Ball-spring-plate? The ball and spring both can pass through the plate. Is it cupped side of plate in or out? Thank you very much,

chris.

2. sdluck

sdluck

What car are we talking about?

3. novaskilling

novaskilling

It’s originally a late 40’s f1 open drive. Converting it to closed drive like the 39 style

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Look up VanPelt Sales, the have a lot of information on flatheads and their transmissions including diagrams
    vanpeltsales.com

Rehpotsirhcj likes this.

5. Andy

Andy

Those parts fit in the synchronizer. They can be tricky to get back in. I have put a hose clamp around the balls and then shove it in.
    I would try to get the solid style. I have seen the sheetmetal ones worn out. It would be a good time to get new synchro brass rings while it is apart.
    The cup side goes down.
    Get the Van Pelt book. The transmissions are trickier than they look.

6. thats the earlier style syncro, i believe 46 up used a large wire spring for all three blocker plates. much better design. If your rebuilding your trans its worth while to upgrade to the later syncro.

7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Those are for the 2/3 syncro assembly. The open part of the spacer you see facing up goes down against the hub. The spring goes in next and then the ball on top.

Try and hold the whole thing together and install it in the sleeve, they go together only one way so don’t install it backwards.

Cliff Ramsdell

rusty valley likes this.