Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Weird grinding noise???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VooDu52, Oct 12, 2021.

1. spanners

spanners

It might be the crazy in me but in these instances I put the rear end up on jack stands (HAMB approved cement blocks of course :D) so the rear is free to spin, start her up and run it till it makes the noise. I then slip it into neutral and kill the engine, allowing the rear end to keep rotating. That test takes the engine out of the equation.

hrm2k, Cosmo49, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  2. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Following, my Merc does the same thing. As soon as you go off the gas, there's a faint grinding noise. I too have the Lokar Shifter, but it could be a coincidence. I always thought it could be pinion angle issue, but that was just my o-pinion. I'll let myself out.

Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  3. If it was my car, I'd disassemble the U-joints despite the fact that they are supposed to be new.

Boneyard51, Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

While he’s at it he might as well disassemble the rest of the car maybe if he starts replacing parts at the front and ends up at the rear the noise will go away :D

VANDENPLAS, X-cpe, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  5. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Probably way off base (and my rocker) but could you have a warped brake drum intermittently hitting the backing plate? Rotating things can expand and/or change shape at certain speeds. I also second the statement that SKF makes superior quality bearings. I still have my doubts about that driveshaft. Of late, Speedway products are somewhat suspect, in my opinion.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. clem

clem

Yea, like others have said, - disconnect the driveshaft and take it out for a test drive……………….

Cosmo49, bobss396, Boneyard51 and 7 others like this.
  7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kinda rude for a FNG:mad:

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, has the noise disappeared on its own?

9. X-cpe

X-cpe

It's a natural tendency to automatically eliminate new parts as a possible cause, but there is a reason they put warranties on things.

clem and VANDENPLAS like this.

10. :D:D:D:D

Ben

11. Noisy Alternator's my guess, or water pump, power steering pump. Put a big screwdriver in your ear and start touching and listening. For all the old and dumb "Handle in your ear, tip on the engine". Thank You, love getting comments from "All Y'all" lets go.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    WalkerMD and Deuces like this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

I had a similar issue.....drove me crazy. One day under my truck for a totally unrelated issue, I leaned on the exhaust to help myself up and voila....saw a crack open up on one of the exhaust hangers. Couldn’t see it with a visual inspection. Only at a certain speed when the resonance was right it would sound like a grinding noise.... Welded up the crack and my noise was gone! Hope you find your issue.....

Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OUCH.

clem and Deuces like this.
  14. pitman

pitman

er...HANDEL! :rolleyes:
    Or handle, of chosen dri--vair!

15. Deuces

Deuces

Only the handle....;)

16. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Hey just punch out both eardrums an you won't worry about the sound anymore

17. Deuces

Deuces

:rolleyes:

18. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Well, for what it's worth, there is only one thing left that I can think of. Ring and pinion bearing setup.
    Setting up a rear end is a delicate process and requires a lot of knowledge about gear mesh and pre-load torque specifications. Does your mechanic have adequate experience with this? I know for a fact that improper setup can cause exactly the problem you describe. I assume the pinion seal was replaced?
    If he didn't install the U joint flange properly it would change the settings and could cause damage.
    It's one of those things you don't just put the nut on and tighten it until the rattle wrench stops turning.

19. As my mom was known to say . . .

"Never stick anything in your ear except your elbow."
    :rolleyes:

Deuces likes this.
  20. I've got this one figured out, the radio quit working!!!!! Get a new radio, and while you're at it, get some new boom boom speakers, viola! You'll never hear the grinding noise again!!

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

Volume! That new radio needs to have a lot of volume. You will need to be able to turn the radio up and the grinding noise gets louder!

Deuces likes this.
  22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure the volume will go to eleven.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Cosmo49, VANDENPLAS and Happydaze like this.
  23. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

The only thing that has me worried is a "junior hot rodder...." with an automatic transmission.

Deuces likes this.
  24. I like to use a wooden dowel to "listen" for noises. If it gets sucked into the belts, it will break and not harm anything... at least in theory. Heater hoses or old garden hose is good too.

Cosmo49 and Deuces like this.