Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Differential Identity

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Powered by Ford, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Powered by Ford

Powered by Ford

Coupe Diff 8 bolt.jpg Coupe diff 2.jpg Hello, I'm looking for help in identifing the era of this earlier ford differential, in hopes to find out the gear ratio without opening it up (although I will have to replace the seal since it leaks a bit). Its currently in my 31 ford coupe. Im in the planning stage for this winters project. I'm rebuilding the 302 (79 block, 300hp+-) and looking to replace the auto 3 speed trany with an AOD. I would like to varify the third member so I know how to budget this project and have all three pieces working together correctly. Hoping to keep this rear end Coupe diff 2.jpg Coupe Diff 8 bolt.jpg intact, however if I need to replace the ring and pinion for the best set up, are they even available for this rear end? Thanks in advance guys.

2. squirrel

squirrel

FEL-PRO RDS55323 Info
    Cover Gasket; Rear; Ford; w/ 8 Bolt Holes; w/ 6.75 in Ring Gear
    fits 1979 Fairmont with 302 (and others)
    rear.jpg

my guess is that the ratio is probably right for the transmission you already have, and you'll want different gears if you add overdrive (something around 3.5 ration instead of the high 2s you probably have now)

and you'll want to put in a heavier rear end, just because you're one of those hot rodder guys.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Powered by Ford

Powered by Ford

Thanks squirrel, I was able to find a little more info now knowing it's a 6.75. Still struggling to find other gear options available. I agree with using something in the 3.5 ratio. Hoping to keep the rear end. My rodding days are long passed. Reliability is what I'm after now. This is a 30 year old restoration project that I worked on with my dad back then. He recently passed and now I'm hoping to do it justice. We actually dug this car out of my grandfather's barn in the late 80's (see avatar). Wanting to make it safe and reliable again so the wife will want to ride along.

4. squirrel

squirrel

If you want reliability, just reseal the transmission that's in it now, and keep the existing rearend. It's worked for 40+ years, it'll probably keep going a while longer.

keep in mind that the 302 is a short stroke engine, and doesn't mind spinning 3000 rpm.

1934coupe and Tman like this.

5. Mart

Mart

Ok, PBF, listen carefully.
    Jack up ONE back wheel. Mark the tire and a line on the ground next to it.
    Mark the driveshaft in a way that will allow you to count the turns.
    While observing the driveshaft, count the turns it makes while you turn the raised wheel exactly TWICE.
    The turns of the driveshaft equals the axle ratio.
    Mart.
    I show the principle in a video:

6. Powered by Ford

Powered by Ford

Liking the idea of keeping the transmission as well. It slips a little between second and third. Knowing it needs some love and after reading other discussions on the aod, it certainly got me thinking about replacing it. Still torn on that decision.

Love the logic on the gear ratio and video, makes perfect sense. Sometimes we tend to overthink the obvious. Todays technologies sometimes cripples our ability to see things for what they really are. I probably would have thought of it 30 years ago when still working on cars from the earlier era where you could open the hood and still see the ground. That's why they are so gratifying to work on. Back to the basics. Thanks for the advice guys!

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sometime in the mid '50s, my '36 Ford 3 window had 3.54 rear, coupled to 25 tooth Zephyrs. Real tall takeoff, but at 35 MPH 2nd was pitched 'real close'...(ratio) High gear was very 'tall'...
    Gears can certainly handicap a young fellow! :eek: