Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

What'd you get, a Nikon Z fc? That looks like a great modern camera with convincing 35mm looks. I can't picture (har, har) you with a generic black plastic setup.

Stogy and Outback like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, Stogy! You know what they say, "These are the good ol' days." The best part? The adventure is really only just getting started.

Thank you! More photos on the way.

Hell yeah. We're doing what we can to keep the traditional flame burning. I'm very excited to see your build as it comes together!

It looks good on all counts, but I won't be able to breathe a sigh of relief until we fire it. Di Falco says that, based on the carbon in the exhaust ports, it was running fairly recently. We're going to run it as-is and then paint it.

What you see is what I got. I'd gladly buy it from you. Gotta keep this flathead cool!

Great imagery. Chili for breakfast was a more common occurrence during my college days in Missouri. It really is a hearty way to start the day.

I really do need to swing back to visit the garage sale folks. I don't think they would be able to believe it. I did take it to the auto parts store and show the guys who I'm always buying oil and carb cleaner from. They absolutely loved it!

Not this time around, but next time for sure. Mmmmmm nothing beats fresh cinnamon rolls on a cool fall morning.

That's a new one to me. Sounds like some fine dining!

I do really like the looks of that Nikon. I'm a big fan of the Canon system, so I opted for an EOS R5 mirrorless. It's a total game changer. I primarily shoot video for work, and it's just the right camera for the job.

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Right after I bought my Deuce frame, I called my friend Jack Fuller in Hampton, Virginia, to talk about potentially dropping me an axle. Jack's a longtime hot rodder and a master of his craft. I told his story in TRJ #83, and we showcased his survivor '32 three-window (best known as "Bullwinkle") alongside his "Built Dirt Cheap" '32 roadster. Jack's the real deal.

In addition to the double feature, TRJ #83 included a steb-by-step look at Jack's dropping process. I'd always loved the look of a '32 heavy, and I asked Jack to keep an eye out for one on the East Coast so that I could one day have a Fuller’s Frame & Axle dropped axle.
    IMG_8672.jpg
    Less than 24 hours later, he calls back and mentions that he actually has one on hand. Not just any axle, but the one he dropped for the TRJ article. I still can't believe it, but that's the axle going under the nose of my roadster.
    IMG_9242.jpg
    Feeling very grateful. Thank you, @jackandeuces! They don't call it a heavy axle for nothing.

4. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t recall saying I had one to sell ya.
    Let me dig it out and send you a pic this week, make sure you can fit it in there.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  5. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Super cool to see you post a pic with Poppy. You'd be surprised how many hot rodders work at Cruise with me.

J.Ukrop, Stogy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Another day another part. :)

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me, for instance.

In the same facility, even!

Stogy likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That, that's what we built.

And there is much more to come!

Stogy likes this.
  10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

girchy, i love the girl scout cookie in your avitar,
    do you remember YES-YES cookies from the mid 60's ?
    they were bars not rings but the same taste and texture... mmmm those were the days.

GirchyGirchy and Stogy like this.
  11. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

That's awesome! Unfortunately we missed out on that issue....

jackandeuces, HemiDeuce and Stogy like this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

With all that you have going on and planning for, I don't know how you can sleep at night. Seems like your life is one cool adventure after another, but as they say, "Kid, you got the connections." Lots of us are living this with you ( and maybe with just a tad bit of envy), so all I can say is Thanks! A jackndeuces axle, you're killin' me. Enjoy. Carp.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

He’s currently away in a trip north palling around with another roadster. Can’t wait to see his pictures pop up here

catdad49, Jeff34, Outback and 3 others like this.
  14. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

NO-NO I do not, my parents hadn't even met yet! Sounds delicious, though.

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I love that the TRJ axle is going under your car.

Good hangs at TROG buddy. Nice to see you again.

16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sooo cool to have the TRJ axle. Your roadster is destined to be a magazine car!

17. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Very cool Joey. That axle is awesome without the backstory and crazy with. PLUS just think of the altitude adjustment. The heavy dropped vs the A axle should be a good chunk.
    Not sure what you are planning for the back end, and this is just very rough hacked out photo edit work, but just think, "What if?"
    A roadster altitude.jpg

Attached Files:

18. catdad49

catdad49

Paul, factor in the "new" deuce frame and it'll look even better!

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, Outback and 2 others like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Right?! It was like seeing a four-wheeled celebrity. Cruise runs an impressive operation—no surprise that there are hot rodders in the mix.

One piece at a time!

Right? I've been slacking on posting, but there are more parts updates happening soon.

Hell yeah! Such amazing technology.

I'm sorry. I'll see if I can dig one up for you.

Thank you, Carp! We're all in this thing together, keeping this hot rodding flame alive. I hope we can hang out at Jalopyrama again sometime soon!

Ooh yeah, lots of content on the way. IMG_9047.jpg

I'm partial to Tagalongs...and Thin Mints, of course.

Me too! So good catching up. Thanks again for watching my camera gear out on the beach. Can't wait to see your roadster in action.

Thank you! There may or may not have been some discussion about that. Magazine car or not, it's most definitely a H.A.M.B. car and it wears its Alliance plaque with pride.

Damn, that's low! Thanks for the photo-chop. We'll see how it all works out with the '32 frame.

Yes! We're going to make it happen.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm back with a whole lot of updates. I'll try to work through them chronologically and we'll see how we do.

A couple months ago, I was an invited guest on The Classic Car Corner podcast (which is another name for a short radio program that you can access on your phone, computer or tablet). Although this wasn't my first time being interviewed, it was neat to hear that the questions were mainly geared towards this project. Hosted by Jason Paynter, John Lockhart and Eric Bensel, the show was extremely fun to record. These guys know their stuff! To read how all this came about, you can check out the backstory on The Jalopy Journal here.

To listen to the episode, click here.
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 11.10.38 PM.png

Next up, I received 44-pound package in the mail from my great friend Kerry Horan. Even before I owned my roadster, Kerry has helped me build my vintage magazine collection. As I'm sure you know, writing articles about hot rods takes a whole lot of research. Thanks to Kerry, my personal archive is better than ever.

IMG_9240.jpg
    Oh, and if Kerry's name sounds familiar, it's because he's responsible for bringing the Al Dal Porto lakester back to its Hop Up Magazine guise. I'm lucky to call him a friend.

So, what was in the box?
    IMG_9238.jpg
    Brakes! Not just any brakes, but the rear juice drums and all the guts I need for my car. These are going to be fun to detail, assemble and put into play.

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last October, Charlie Hascall of North Palm Speed invited me to the Harvest Drags. I had never heard of the event but, after talking on the phone with Charlie from my cloffice for the better part of an hour, I knew he was the real deal. I made the solo 10-hour trip up to Dayton, Oregon, and shot the event in its entirety for Rodder's Journal #85.
    588015E4-B14E-4DAB-A9C6-B2FB1CEBD110.jpg
    Something special happened that day. Rather than just taking photos, Charlie and a handful of other local hot rodders let me race their cars. That's right. If you can recall, my roadster was just a rolling chassis with a shell of a body on it at that point. No doors, no decklid, no windshield—nothing. That didn't matter to these folks. They saw I was serious about my project and their projects too. I won some races, lost some races and swore I would be back in 2021 with my roadster.

Well, fast-forward to this fall. Once I had my schedule straightened out, I knew that I had to go. There simply wasn't a question. Soon after returning from T.R.O.G., I got to work. IMG_9247.jpg
    To be honest, the "to-do" list wasn't all that long. I did, however, finally snag some vintage aircraft seatbelts to mount to the original belt anchors. Other prep work included adjusting the steering box, greasing the zerks, mounting the toolbox with Tank Traps, painting a few things, and draining the radiator and filling it with mild green antifreeze. I also put the quail on a leash. IMG_9091.jpg
    And tested an old air cleaner that I felt would be slightly better in the rain if I happened to lose my hood. IMG_9095.jpg
    This air cleaner was a gift from Paul Roy of Louisville. Paul is a master craftsman and all-around great guy. He's been building high-quality hot rods for years, and I thoroughly enjoyed checking out his shop during my visit to the Bluegrass state in August. Believe it or not, this was one of the air cleaners off of my favorite Louisville custom. C1_resize.jpg
    Back in the 1950s, it had a 2x2-fed flathead beneath the hood. C3 resize.jpg
    We'll have more on this car and Paul in a future Jalopy Journal feature.
    C2_resize.jpg
    Although I never doubted the authenticity of the air cleaners, you know I got a good laugh when I discovered the baking powder tin shims. Talk about era correct! IMG_9093.jpg

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar 33: Off to Oregon

Per my research, it's 641 miles from my garage door to Portland, Oregon. If you would have asked me a year ago how I planned to get there, I would have said, "I'm driving my roadster." And that would be that. Well, now that I've driven the car a fair amount on the streets of San Francisco, I decided that I was going to rent a trailer and haul it up there. I have basically no towing experience, so I figured this would be a great chance to learn.

While brainstorming the trip, I asked Yama if he wanted to come with. Being the great friend that he is, he immediately said yes. If that weren't enough, he planned to film the entire adventure for his Mazi Moto YouTube channel.

With that, we had a rough itinerary. Drive on Thursday/Friday, race all day Saturday in Dayton, Oregon, and then drive the car on a solo reliability run to Portland later that night. Sunday would be spent jamming around town and seeing the sights, and then it would be time to put the car to its final test on Monday as we returned to the Dayton/McMinnville area. What could possibly go wrong?
    IMG_9288.jpg
    For those of you who have made this trek, you know the Hi-Lo Motel, which has been in business since 1951. We always make sure to stay here whenever possible. Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 12.45.56 AM.png
    The following morning, we stopped in at the cafe for brunch. I had the Mountain Burger, which hit the spot. Just like in the postcard, snow had already fallen on Mt. Shasta.
    IMG_9303.jpg
    By Friday night, we had made it to Noah Norwood's shop, HRK Designs, in McMinnville, Oregon. Longtime readers will remember that Noah is the host of the Hot Rod Kid podcast. He's a talented meatalworker, knowledgable hot rodder and a great friend.
    IMG_9306.jpg
    All tucked in for the night beneath the Norwood's "Double Trouble" '28 roadster. Moments before this photo was taken, I was ripping the green A down rural Oregon back roads, kicking up gravel and hoping not to slide off into the darkness. There's no doubt about it—that car has a serious 'banger. Highlights include a dual-plug head, hot cam, tube header and a single 94. Inspirational for sure.

We'll pick back up tomorrow.

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That air cleaner shim is perfect haha

Stogy, Six Ball and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  25. 97

AND right when you get back from Oregon this post appears on the HAMB.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-to-be-scrapped-in-or-go-get-em-boys.1245653/

From memory, ( it is 12 years since I was in the area) but I think Stayton Or is only like 40 or 50 miles from Dayton ( McMinnville). Maybe you should call your pal The kid and ask him to clear out those flatheads!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Stogy, 48fordnut and Six Ball like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yes, What he said! Save those things. They are not making them anymore.
    Another friend bit the dust and left his kids with a huge stash. Mostly stock and mostly Chevy 30s-50s. Some of it is sorta' mine. The family asked me to help them identify what I can. Some motorcycles too Harley & Triumph.

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Era correct fo sho!

Looks like I have some phone calls to make! I also have a line on a builder 8BA from a friend. If I can find the space, we can make it happen.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Let me know if you need any help ID'ing any motorcycle stuff. Yama and I want to come over and hang out with you!

28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just like that, we're back.

Last Saturday, we woke up early, hopped in the roadster and drove from McMinnville to Dayton. The weather was San Francisco-esque—chilly, foggy and beautiful. The car felt right at home on Oregon's two-lane backroads. Like my brother says, "The quail points towards adventure!"
    IMG_9061.jpg
    When we rolled up to North Palm Speed, I couldn't have been more excited. I met Charlie Hascall at the gate. He greeted me with a big handshake and a smile. From there, we made our way out onto the field. Harvest Lineup Resize.jpg
    I couldn't believe it. There, on the edge of the pumpkin patch, were 22 other early Ford hot rods. Model A's, Model T's, speedsters, belly tankers—they were all there. I could feel the goosebumps as I pulled my car into position. "I'm really here," I said to myself. Just like spotting an old friend in the cafeteria on the first day of school, I backed in next to @Aaron D.'s #24 Model A coupe.
    AaronDresize.jpg
    It didn't take long for me to realize how many friends were there that day. We spent the morning catching up with folks from near and far as we waited for the fog to burn off and for the track to dry. I'll have a more detailed report in this Friday's Jalopy Journal column, so stay tuned for that.
    Drags Resize.jpg

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Started digging into the video on YouTube earlier today. What a great trip! I know you’re more of a behind the keyboard/camera guy but you make a great video “host”

30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks, Timm! I appreciate it. Back in the day, I hosted my fair share of Facebook Live/Instagram Live feeds for The Rodder's Journal. It was really fun and gave me the opportunity to do a different kind of journalism.

Six Ball, Tim and 41 GMC K-18 like this.