Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Pole In Indy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedwagen, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Irwin45

Irwin45

Sure my born & bred Speedway spouse, Ed Irwin, would have loved reminiscing about his '52 Chevy while reading this thread!

Speedwagen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. upload_2020-3-5_11-32-0.png
    This graphic showed up on a Facebook group

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. A2EE1898-1C3D-49D1-9F9B-6878B98DB703.jpeg Another pic of the Pole drive drive in restuarant

Driver50x likes this.
  4. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Thanks for all that posted really enjoyed it. I grew up in a state east of Indiana with a lot of 60s burgers joints and car seen. I have a lot of similar stories balled up in my head and agree those days are forever gone. But have to admit I still have a hot rod 57 truck with a camed up small block and a 456 rear end that gets regular use. When I’m out tooling around I’m in another place if you know what I mean. Thanks again for all the great story

Driver50x and Speedwagen like this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

What a great thread, no connection to any of it. I kept reading to see if Tom was going to tell some stories!

Speedwagen likes this.
  6. Back in the day Tom held court at the Park-eat drive in.

7. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

My day job gets me all around the city this morning I was around the wast side and Beech Grove. I always drive by Edwards Drive In is that one that’s been around for years. Going to start checking out some of these spots.

Speedwagen likes this.
  8. The mug and bun stays busy on west 10th street, and the steer inn is still open on east 10th street.

carpok likes this.
  9. Fat Jack could puke on demand!

10. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Cool stuff. I was just in Speedway last weekend. Drove by the Mug-n-Bun. Had breakfast at Charlie Brown's. Dinner at BBQ & Bourbon. Drinks at Foyt Wine Vault and Daredevil Brewing. And Bubba's shop is gone.

11. Ducbsa

Ducbsa
    from Virginia

I was back to Indy recently with my high school buddy (Lawrence Central '66) and we couldn't remember the name of the Pole until a couple of weeks later. It was a ways from Lawrence and I only went 1 or 2 times. I vaguely remember a straight axle car, that might have been an Anglia or a Fiat? OT, but I also remember going to see the Kingsmen at the Tiger a Go-go somewhere on the south side in 1966.

12. If you haven't stumbled across it yet yourself, this link may fill in some of the lineage of the SR-2 Corvette you posted about years ago.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1504-1956-chevrolet-corvette-sr-2-lineage/
    :rolleyes: