Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Higher frontend stance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Sonnenberg, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Ok has anyone ever installed a block between the leaf spring and the crossmember to get a higher front stance? Pics? 20211019_173752.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Or you could use a stock eye spring .
    If you want to go higher use a stock ( non drop ) axle .

3. squirrel

squirrel

...instead of finding a stock axle? (not dropped)

Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They do make those in varied thicknesses and I've thought about it as my spring is very close to the frame without a notch and an un-dropped axle...Your situation is different and a couple of our veteran Hotrod membership have chimed in with very helpful details about you situation...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Hnstray and Doug Sonnenberg like this.

5. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Your suggesting another leaf spring where the eye is in a different/stock location?

Stogy likes this.
  6. adam401

adam401

My car currently has a block between the spring and rear crossmember. It has a hole to accept the locating pin on the spring and also a locating pin to center it in the crossmember. Its fine.

Edit: I would say however if I were in the mockup stage of a build that wouldn't be my go to solution. I did mine after the car was togther, the suspension had settled a little more than I anticipated and i didnt like how it looked. When I put a different rear in this winter I will locate the spring perches where the spacer block will no longer be needed.

Stogy likes this.
  7. If the picture you posted is yours you have a reversed eye spring which is 1” lower and a dropped axle which is 2” or so lower than stock. Go back to stock style stuff and you will raise it 3”? Not what you asked but same result?

Doug Sonnenberg and Stogy like this.
  8. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Did it make a big difference in handling? Im only thinking of maybe an 1" block, or maybe putting an extra leaf in. I mounted my crossmember lower between the frame rails so that gave me a cpl extra inches in height

Stogy likes this.
  9. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Yes , a stock Ford spring has the eye rolled the other way .
    The photo is not a Ford spring , but it shows what I'm saying .

ft spring.jpg

10. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Right on. Ill just head to my spring shop and get them to make one up for me.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have no weight to see ride height but if what you see now is where you want it adding a spring with an original eye and perhaps a spacer might achieve your preferred ride height...it's truly a juggling act...a frame notch is another option...and of course the other details mentioned...

I have seen Builders clamp down and load the suspension to ride height based on experience to verify it meets the correct desired height and look..

Chassis setup another walk in the shoes of those that possess the skills...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  12. Exactly! It might seem captain obvious, but when seeking a higher stance, don't use a dropped axle.

Edit:
    Hang on, I just twigged...this is going in a 1929 Chrysler roadster?

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps the happy medium will require the dropped axle...

With my limited knowledge of the big picture the shackles will be at a 45° angle when at proper ride height...others will confirm...

14. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Yup i hear ya. Its been fun building this roadster. Ya i dont want much more height but i do want a bit more height knowing that it will drop once the weight is on. I plan on setting it now then loading a bunch of weight on it to see how far it drops.. thanks for the input

Stogy likes this.
  15. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Yes im building a 29 chrysler roadster

Stogy likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d re-arch the main leaf to save some $$$ on buying another spring …. But I’m cheap. It’s not rocket science.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If one farms this out is it still a general mod for spring shops and if you have a multi leave spring is the uppermost leave that's actually the shortest the one your referencing?

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

It isn't rocket science and I re arched my springs but after watching a spring shop do it and hearing the price, I'll never do a set myself again. LOL

jimmy six likes this.
  19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You're way ahead of yourself. You may go to all the labor and expense of reversing that main leaf to find the car now sits an inch too high when you're through final assembly.
    Get all the weight on the car ( body, engine, radiator, etc) for your final mock assembly, then fine tune it an inch or two-IF you even need to.
    When you blow it all apart for paint, you can then send out for spring work, etc prior to final assembly.

kadillackid, Doug Sonnenberg and X38 like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I said. I’m cheap and have plenty of ear plugs..

wvenfield likes this.