Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's up with Edelbrock lately?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have had my eye on the 2x4 intake setup for a future build. They (Edelbrock) have shown to be out of stock for a long time now, same with Summit, Jegs etc.
    I know they were moving the foundry or something, but that seems like it was a few years ago. Is it COVID, lack of staff or what?

Sorry, if I missed something......

VANDENPLAS, dana barlow and Deuces like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

My guess is the reasons you listed

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don't know but I was out Saturday and two of the business I needed to go to were closed because of lack of help...
    I have no idea how people are getting by not working....
    Come to think of it two of the three places I went had help wanted signs.

4. flatjack

flatjack

I've got a friend who ordered a set of heads for a flathead before Christmas, still no shipping date.

Roothawg and Deuces like this.
  5. adam401

adam401

I ordered 1115 flathead heads last October. A year now and still no heads. But last January I order a 2×2 slingshot intake from them and it was here in 3 days. Im sure the heads will get here eventually. Luckily I had another new set to use.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Hasn't been but a year since the announcement to move their plant. The Mississippi Developement Authority just announced in June of this year they were working with Edelbrock on plans for the new plant. So doubt it's even built yet?

7. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

Offenhauser is the same. The intake I wanted for a Ford 300 inline is out of stock for the foreseeable future.
    My son, who works in the automotive aftermarket, says that if you need something sometime in the future, that is in stock now, it would be wise to get it. His company is waiting on chips for their electronic ignition system, listed as becoming available in November.....2022.

Truckdoctor Andy, Roothawg and Deuces like this.
  8. Which intake for which engine ?

The engine builders here were saying if you want an engine ready for next season, May of 2022, you better drop it off now and HOPE.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eddys foundry in San Jacinto was about 70 miles from the machining in Torrance and was fairly new. I believe the finishing/assembly/design and testing was the one that moved at least first. I see know reason to be out of product unless the machining plant is not up and running. Cast products could easily be shipped by truck as it was to Torrance. I toured each place plus the warehouse full of boxed complete products. It was unbelievable how many sets of heads and intakes there were ready to go. Dual quad SBC intakes are no longer big sellers and that has the most to do with it. The probably have warehouses full of LS s**t and throttle body injections.

Roothawg likes this.
  10. Here’s a cheap Edelblock 2x4 set up with carbs
    E5FC0E29-A9E6-48DC-AEE6-C4CE6077A852.jpeg

kidcampbell71, MMM1693, fauj and 6 others like this.
  11. Jones St.

Jones St.

Look at all the shipping containers sitting still. Just off shore of both coasts. It is almost by design, deliberate. Empty shelves continue to grow. $$ are climbing too.

Saxman, choffman41, rpm56 and 2 others like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

Cinder block for an intake????:rolleyes:

13. chris bozic

chris bozic
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

Had to wait a couple months for an Edelbrock single 4 sbc intake through Summit. Now waiting on a cam from Comp, was due mid October now early November.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Lots of foundrys are on a slow-down due to the lack of aluminum ingots. A friend who owns a aluminum foundry says that the only reason he can keep his doors open and get the aluminum is that he also does contract work for the Government

15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Ya ... Frieburger covered spacers making power on a TV show last week.

kidcampbell71, fauj and Roothawg like this.
  16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Stated in above post, nobody has enough material for a production run

ottoman, gimpyshotrods and Roothawg like this.
  17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a short block.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I follow Offy on FB and they do runs of certain items meaning one day they are doing a batch of SBF dual plane intakes and when that run gets done they go to making something else from what I see in their posts. Plus their production has never been that fast from the get go, They still use the same hand operated machines they used 60 years ago. Mill at OFFy.jpg
    Still as someone else stated, raw material is an issue and while the whole part may be made and machined in the US the ingots of aluminum may not come from the US. Alcoa closed two aluminum plants in this state a number of years ago as production costs kept going up and both were all electric.

19. Whoever is at Offy doing their Social Media is killing it. That company needed that for YEARS

20. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Supply chain is really messed up right now. I don't order anything that isn't in stock because it will take a while for everything to settle in, maybe years. Hunt for used stuff.

Joe

Roothawg, Deuces, WB69 and 1 other person like this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

He's nutz!.....:rolleyes:

22. Deuces

Deuces

Ummm..... Yeah!..:confused:

Roothawg likes this.
  23. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

You need to charge that phone, Anthony :D

Joe

kidcampbell71, fauj, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

The one I was looking at is the old C-26 2x4 for the SBC. I assumed it would be one of the ones in stock for sure.

The lack of aluminum makes sense.

Joe Travers and Deuces like this.
  25. I'm building a SBC aluminum bow tie block 383. I had the block prepped in the spring and have had to search high and low for Comp Cam retrofit roller cam and the associated parts. Found some regular parts through my local guy. I'm glad I already had heads. Comp Cams doesn't even answer the phone or their emails. Sad situation.

26. Deuces

Deuces

My company has an aluminum foundry (Tri-State Aluminum). And we're not having any of those problems.. we get raw sand castings in every day to machine from that place..

Tman and Roothawg like this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

All manufacturing is screwed worldwide right now. Supply chains are a mess… everything from vinyl to t-shirts to electronics to car parts to… it’s an absolute mess.

I have a lot of pals that make things for a living and all of them are hurting.

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  29. There is an aluminum foundry here in my home town .
    They have a casting foundry,,,,,they make there own billets from aluminum recycled scrap,,,and prime billets .
    Prime is virgin aluminum,,,,straight from the mill .
    They forge pieces with presses through forging dies,,,,,,large stuff,,,,as well as small pieces .
    The strips will be maybe 150 feet long,,,,I can’t remember for certain .
    Then they will be cut through the saw to the finish dimensions .
    They anodize,,,,paint,,,,polish,,,,whatever the customer wants .
    They also ship out a huge amount of billets to customers that don’t have their own foundries .
    By the way,,,,,billet is another name for log,,,they look a lot like telephone poles,,,,only made from aluminum .
    They usually ship about 2 million pounds a week,,,,usually more .
    They are working 24/7 at this time,,,,working wide open and begging for help .
    It’s Bonnell aluminum,,,,,William L. Bonnell .

Tommy

pitman, warbird1, Tman and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.