Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Relining Brake Drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocMcD, Oct 19, 2021.

1. DocMcD

DocMcD
    from Georgia

My 1937 ford pickup has wide five drums that have been turned too many times and are WAY out of spec. I have not been able to find new drums, but I did stumble across a company that relines the drums, J&G Relining. Has anyone dealt with them or gone this route? I'm in GA if anyone local happens to have a set they are willing to part with.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  2. Budget36

Budget36

I haven’t, but asked the question awhile back on the Ford Barn, damned if I can recall the place many recommended. Seemed to be quite expensive, that I can remember. Lol.

3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Depending on your location which is not stated,someone around you including me has a set that are in good shape for free or cheap

302GMC likes this.
  4. DocMcD

DocMcD
    from Georgia

I'm in GA....I'll update the original post to include my location. Thanks.

5. DocMcD

DocMcD
    from Georgia

Gotta be less expensive then changing over to 40-48 hubs/drums and buying new wheels....At least i would think so anyway. Plus I'd hate to lose the look of the wide fives

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

rusty valley likes this.
  7. DocMcD

DocMcD
    from Georgia

Yep, that's who I was asking about. For those interested, I called them and it looks like a good option. ~$300/drum and ~$60/shoes. Currently running about 6-7 weeks turn around time. Shipping is on you both ways.
    I'd be into it for more if I had to swap to 5 x 5 1/2 hubs and drums and buy new wheels.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if you could get a set of NOS drums for $600 somewhere?

9. What exactly is the procedure for relining drums? Is it just a press fit insert?

10. DocMcD

DocMcD
    from Georgia

Adhesive, press fit and pinned

11. alchemy

alchemy

Lots of original drums out there for less than $300 each. Patience is a virtue.

12. Be careful where you buy drums from. MOST drums now are either made in China or so far out of round—-turning won’t help. Your best bet is to find a pair of genuine drums that are not worn smooth out and turn them. My best friend and ace mechanic has spent TOO many hours trying to make “new” drums work—-he claims they are ALL CRAP and not worth his time and efforts!!!

13. Budget36

Budget36

The 300 a drum is what I recall as well. Bit steep for my pocket book. But I understand why you see it as less expensive due to needing to buy née wheels.
    Have you checked with places that deal in Early V8 stuff? You may also want to ask on the Ford Barn where to source some as well as place a wanted ad.