Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Bobber Trucks. Are They HAMB Rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Oct 9, 2021.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Does this qualify as a bobber truck?
    2377D47A-16FD-4382-9573-F8B11810CAD4.jpeg

EVL401 and AHotRod like this.
  2. I was afraid mine would get lumped into the “bobber truck” category. I guess that’s better than the “RR” category…:oops::)

3. A Boner

A Boner

Some cars hit the mark, some don’t. I’ve seen a few RR’s that look better than some ugly 32 roadsters...some guys have the knack some don’t!

Mark Yac, cactus1, Jones St. and 3 others like this.
  4. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

As much as I like the idea of a race car chassis under an old car, Factory Five really missed the mark with their '35 ford truck. All the trucks on this thread look better than this. 20290990-1935-factory-five-hot-rod-thumb.jpg

Gary

D-Russ, alanp561 and low down A like this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

Did Ford have a flat top cab back in 35?

6. It's not a 35 Ford truck. Like all Factory 5 cars, the body is loosely based on an early Ford or other vehicle. Some more loosely than others. But, it goes to show how willing they are to chase a market while it lasts.

Tman likes this.
  7. Jones St.

Jones St.

The term is strangely popular w/the hall monitors. f103e6e6273361982aae36b319cd275a.jpg

AHotRod, Jessie J., Paul B and 2 others like this.
  8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I originally post that picture in a similar thread long ago. That pic was taken at a show in the StLouis area in ‘64. I’ve had to break that picture out from time to time to show that it was done at least a few times back then. I tried to build mine in a little more acceptable style
    CEFDF700-9E1B-4B03-994C-8D7CE9BF1A57.jpeg 9C2EFC92-9925-4FDF-B636-EA7BD2898F56.jpeg

putz, AHotRod, rod1 and 9 others like this.
  9. Jones St.

Jones St.

2nd pix is at the Breederfest! Or Rust Revival. I did a few trips there.

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That is correct sir. That’s a Kropduster logo in the back window. We sold all the Rust Revival merchandise at those crazy events.

Tman and Packrat like this.
  11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

This is the original picture I posted long ago. I scanned it. Youngrodder’s Dad had this pic in a bunch of pictures from an indoor show in ‘64 in St.Louis. Maybe it was a Midwest thing, but this truck was around the Show circuit back then at least briefly. I’ve never seen any other pics of it. There were several late 30’s and 40’s Ford cabs used as roundy round racers here in the 50’s and 60’s. That may be where the idea started around here.
    625154F0-F145-4DDA-948F-E03C21E36611.jpeg

EVL401, AHotRod, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.
  12. I will admit that I lean a whole lot more toward a bobber bike than pickup. However, I was just at an event (The Gathering at the Roc) that was about 95% HAMB-friendly and there was a bobber truck there built by Ace Fabrication out of the Springfield, MO area that sure got a lot of attention. It was even chosen to win an award of the very few awards that were given out. Anyway, not sure I plan to ever build one, but I have seen a few that the proportions work well and make for a cool hot rod that I would argue may at least be traditionally inspired. Here is the truck from the Gathering a couple weeks ago. Photo stolen from @travisfromkansas

Royboy.JPG

Outback, UNCLECHET, AHotRod and 8 others like this.
  13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Beautiful...

They are harder to get the proportions right compared to earlier stuff thats for sure... When done right like this one, the stars align...

I think they are cool when done right. When done wrong, they look worse than most also.. Some folks don't like what I do either, but its mine and I'm paying all the bills and doing all the work.

Jessie J., guthriesmith and KevKo like this.
  14. Jones St.

Jones St.

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

16. Yep

17. Looks like it's expressing it's glands

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is a tough one for me.

I'm still firmly of the mindset that any vehicle made after 1934 (meaning 35 model year or later), should have fenders. And I also think that there seems to be some confusion with the verbiage of "bobber truck" versus a fenderless hot rod pickup or RPU. Trucks like Littleman's are not bobber trucks. They're fenderless hot rod pick ups. On the other hand, the benchmark "Rudy truck" is a bobber pickup, mainly because of the later body. A fenderless hot rod pickup is absolutely a HAMB rod.

Whether or not these bobber trucks are "traditional" is certainly a point of debate. If they were built in the day, they certainly were not the norm, yet they have been almost uniformly accepted under the umbrella of the traditional hot rod moniker. They certainly have elements of traditional hot rods; straight axle, bones or hairpins, usually a traditional drivetrain.... but in the combination and style assembled it seems something other than a strictly traditional car, and sort of highlights the moving target of what that is, and the double standard utilized when we makes these judgments.

19. Ive always struggled or debated internally the phrase “takes more than a couple examples to be traditional”
    any mod that was done during the traditional period of hot roding, even once, that mod is traditional. It was done during the time period with period correct parts and equipment.
    if we’re going to use the “needs more than a couple examples” rule, should the phrase “common hot rods and customs of the traditional period” be used?
    Just my worthless thoughts on the subject.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  20. williebill

williebill

I lived in Gatlinburg in the early 70s, and hung out at the festivities/rod run/riots from '71 on. There were always several post 35 fenderless, short bed trucks. in attendance. My impression back then were they were cheaper to build, and at the time, some of those cabs would have been in decent shape, and almost free for the asking. Some were cool, some were pretty bad. Misses our cutoff by 6 years, but there had to have always been more than 10 or 15 of them running around G-burg. If I could only find my pictures.

21. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

What I kind of like about this topic is it seems to piss off so many people. No it isn't. Yes it is. WGAF. Carry on.

Shalamo, RMR&C, impala4speed and 2 others like this.
  22. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

To me proportions are the issue.
    For gods sake,roll the car out of the garage and stand back and look at it.
    Don,t just stuff a 40,s cab on a T bucket or A frame and call it good

23. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

This & I personally think that 35 & newer vehicles look better with full hoods in place.

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I just feel like by 35, the fenders were an integral part of the vehicle's styling and not just some bolted on parts to keep the water and dirt from kicking up. There is a fine line between fenders-taken-off and fenders-missing.

Also as an aside, my wife grew up in Alaska. I don't know how you guys do this stuff up there.

25. Tman and Blues4U like this.
  26. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

I owned a shortened, channeled, and fenderless Oldsmobile Rocket powered '36 Ford pickup way back in 1964.
    No one ever asked me if it was a HAMB approved 'Rod'.

27. I think it was the r.r. crowd who recently brought this concept back to the forefront. I believe that's what a lot of the rub here is about.

Tman, cactus1 and wvenfield like this.
  28. Bobbers for scooters is new millennium speak. Back when anyone with a stripped down bike (a bike with all the garbage "chopped" off) a bobber was a chick and that is not a good family friendly HAMB subject. LOL

As for "Bobber" pickups or the proper HAMB term is a Rudy Truck most of the time they are frowned on. I personally think that they can be executed well and called a Custom. Most of the time the proportions are not good and they end up cartoony. Not a good look.

I think that they fall under build it and let the chips fall where they may. Post at your own risk and maybe you'll pull it off and maybe you won't.

Now here is an interesting thought. I know a guy that is building a T roadster pickup with a full length bed. I gets better he is starting with a '27 cowl and doors, uh sans fenders. So not the norm for a hot rod. I got an idea it will raise an eyebrow or two.

Oh yea Rudy trucks I digress. I think they a bobber can be pulled off and maybe it will be HAMB friendly even if the concept is not.

Blues4U likes this.
  29. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

absolutely-wicked-hotrod-built-by-rudy-rodriguez-fullerton-fabrication-7.jpg
    Follow the cowl line out to the radiator -- looks like the frame is broken. And why so much set-back -- you wouldn't need a temperature gauge, just put your feet on the block. Oh, they're already there.

AHotRod, alanp561, Cymro and 5 others like this.