Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage On the Road to the Roc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by winduptoy, Oct 6, 2021.

1. loudbang

loudbang

G Baese, alfin32, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Like your Vicky and have enjoyed this thread. Looked for you Saturday but never found you near your car. Of course the same could be said for me.

Stogy, winduptoy, pprather and 4 others like this.
  3. The museum was very impressive. Somewhat similar to the museum in Cody, Wyoming.
    We were able to visit the museum on Friday after the reliability run. Took a while to see it, but there was no car show going on outside.

4. Thanks for going with us to Murphy's. That was a fun time. Your t-shirt will be heading out in the mail tomorrow.
    Have a safe trip home and looking forward to catching up with you again next year.

5. Smith & Sons

Smith & Sons

It was great meeting you Larry, you’ve been a great inspiration.

6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I did a lot of driving today IMG_20211010_074426441.jpg
    I always like the shadow pics
    IMG_20211010_075519676.jpg
    Saw some cows IMG_20211010_090609961.jpg

7. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

We passed you today in the rain @winduptoy, your Vicky looked great! Like you, we took 2-lane roads all day today to get to Tucumcari for the night.

EA957756-38B3-4634-B3D6-B3A7579466C1.jpeg

92FCBD79-14EB-4A0D-813E-B5601FDAF357.jpeg

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20211010_090823064.jpg IMG_20211010_082909506_TOP.jpg
    And then these two cars appeared in front of me IMG_20211010_093518161.jpg IMG_20211010_093524137.jpg
    And then they were gone as they proved to me that I need 4 more cylinders to keep up with them

G Baese, burl, Jet96 and 12 others like this.
  9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then it rained, and rained and more rain
    About Santa Rosa, NM the sky cleared IMG_20211010_184622154.jpg IMG_20211010_131022312.jpg
    It wasn't my plan, but I am home.
    I'll get on the PC tomorrow and reply to you all in depth. It was a super show and even better to meet those of you I was able to encounter...
    Miss Vicky did right at 1700 miles trouble free, and 700 of that today.
    She deserves a day off tomorrow

G Baese, cactus1, Jet96 and 16 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She sure did...I was a little off at 300...a testament to a quality build all around to the Builder...is that you @winduptoy...not that it matters just curious...

It really highlights Banger power as well even despite the hop up...

11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@teach'm
    How cool is that! Thanks for the shots...all the bugs did get washed off.
    I saw your procession pass by and was wondering if you were stopping for the night in NM.
    You all were looking fine...
    No heater or lap dog, I was not very warm and I didn't have presence of mind to shoot some of you
    I'm at exit 178 on I-40... Zuzax. I suspect you may have to run a portion of interstate. If you need anything before you get out of the state, let me know. I've got a complete mobile shop on wheels.
    Honk and wave on the way by, I'll wave back and look forward to seeing you down the road
    Larry

12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@loudbang It was at just sun up and my cheap camera that looks like a phone does render some kind of likeness of the objects but not much more
    Thanks for following along and cleaning up after me.... it's an honor to have you along

Sancho, Stogy, pprather and 2 others like this.
  13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to the next meet up with you guys down the road
    the waitress at Murpheys had my number for sure...

14. LOL. She had you turning red a few times, and I know it wasn't just the sun from the day because you were 3 shades lighter once we went back outside.

15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the kind statement and observation....I say; 'I can't count past four"....
    I'm the builder..ahem...modifier of Henry's creation. I've been driving and modifying it over the past 4-5 years. I've probably got 12k to 14k miles on it prior It's been to Dirt Drags and Hill Climb. Nebraska, Texas, Arizona
    It was a good solid car to start with and has not been apart as much as I can tell.
    It got the B banger that is still a babbitt pounder with the real deal Cragar/Miller OHV.
    I had to re-do the head and rockers. It got Austin-Martin rocker assembly that has a 1.9/1 ratio
    Laced up the block, re-ringed it and set up the rod and main clearances using aluminum foil...
    It has a NOS Mallory dizzy and a pair of 81 Strombergs on a Zepher intake
    I modify the oil pumps adding a spacer and V-8 oil pump gears.
    64# Sterling flywheel with 9" V-8 clutch Jeep T-5 with @Kato Kings torque tube adapter and enclosed driveline.
    The rear end got a 3:54 gear set. Cast iron drums on all four and mechanical brakes that will slide the 6:00/16 on the front and 7:50/16 on steel discs on the back. It needs the nose down and I have a reversed eye spring to do that here in the near future...winter is coming
    The late Vicky..it has the indented firewall, has a windshield that is 1.5" shorter than any other A except the late Cabriolet 68C. They have flush doors already. No visor either along with slanted windshield.
    I'm getting ready to take the banger powered Cabby to Denver in a couple of weeks, for the DTA chili dinner.
    I'll do a thread on it that will be boring because I will go solo again as I'm from New Mexico and there isn't a very large number of traditional rodders here...
    Thanks for following along, it means a lot....

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    G Baese, burl, cactus1 and 13 others like this.
  16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate the friendship and time spent.
    I will plan of Dewey in the spring of 2022 along with the Oklahoma 100....in a banger of course...
    Safe, trouble free return trip home was had. Bangers Rule...it's just a small kingdom though...

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to meet you as well and thanks for hanging out with the 'old geezers' it is refreshing to have a youngster in the group
    I am kicking and screaming into geezerdom and you will become to know how nice to encounter a young man like you...
    Hope to see more of you

18. Sure enjoyed meeting you! I'm impressed as heck running a banger all the way out there and back. Looking forward to seeing you again in the spring at the Stray Kat. By then I should have myself a bit more educated on bangers and can talk more sensibly with you about what I should do with mine and the B carb set up you were talking about. :)

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to met you as well and thank you for the kind words. Looking forward to the conversation and making you think about becoming a real banger freak....it's the most money you can spend to go slow....
    Pop in from time to time on the banger meet here https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/october-2021-banger-meet-thread-happy-halloween.1243157/

20. garage2small

garage2small

winduptoy that was an outstanding photo essay on your trip to the Gathering, thanks for taking the time to put it together. I had a great time on my trip there also. Pictures to be posted soon on a new thread.

21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The show date for 2022 is Saturday, October 1st and the Reliability Run is the day before on September 30. For inquiring minds that want to know...

22. MilesM

MilesM

This is Ed and Chris. I saw a GPS speed readout posted that I can't quote on a public forum!

Tman, Jet96, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I saw your car at the show on Saturday and had no idea you had driven it that far to get there.
    That's so awesome! I'm quite impressed.

24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They weren't messing around, it was like they were on a mission....and I understand with the severe weather event that was forecast in the area.
    Thanks for letting me know...

loudbang likes this.
  25. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Awesome trip Larry! I'm glad to see the ol' Vicky out and about!

winduptoy, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  26. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Grady,
    She treated me real well.
    I've got a banger proposal/idea I need to run by you.
    You have any trips planned in the near future?

loudbang likes this.
  27. Nice write up Larry! Glad you made it back safe and sound!

loudbang and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  28. 42merc

42merc

Larry, like cactus1 said, great reporting.

loudbang and TrailerTrashToo like this.