Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine Rebuilder ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unfinished, Oct 15, 2021.

1. unfinished

unfinished

DCA4AA3E-2829-40D9-BFD7-48FEE3FBFFCC.jpeg I have a remanufactured 350 sbc with this barcode on the cylinder head. I have been unsuccessful at running this number through Google searches. It runs great, uses no oil and has great oil pressure. I would just like to know what company rebuilt it. Does anyone recognize this numbering system?

Deuces likes this.
  2. Looks to be Alpha-Numeric?

3. squirrel

squirrel

I wouldn't trust any company that would not put their name on it, in a legible way

:)

Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Keep lookin'.....

warhorseracing likes this.

5. unfinished

unfinished

Yes sir. I was just hoping that someone recognized the numbering system or barcode from their job or experience. Someone could say it was very similar to a Jasper for example. Like I said, I have struck out on Google.

Deuces likes this.
  6. unfinished

unfinished

Well squirrel I kinda agree that maybe I should not investigate because I might not like what I find out! It's in a partially finished El Camino that I bought and finished. Long story, I did not get to talk to the builder. I've put 16,000 miles on it including two 600 mile trips.

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

It's probably an internal code number, and would not show up anywhere.

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I have a tag off the 454 block that I used to build the 427 in Plan II. It also keeps the builders name secret. And the date code isn't much help, either.

I've also seen (mostly older) tags that told us all about the company that did the work. I think the clue in your tag is that it states NON OE, and it's likely the place that sold it, wants to keep their sources confidential.

enginetag.jpg

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and unfinished like this.
  9. unfinished

unfinished

Oh well I will just keep flogging it as long as it can endure! Thanks Squirrel!!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. I’ve seen these tags at work.

no useful data to “ us” the end user.

the industrial and forklift engines we get through our parts supplier are branded as a XXX ( company name rebuild)
    And they come with one of those tags for there own internal tracking and warranty. If something should go wrong they can fight with there rebuilder for warranty.

As far as they are concerned, when my company buys a rebuilt engine from them , it’s tagged and branded “ there’s “ no mention of the rebuilder they used. Kinda like a “ Walmart or Napa” rebuilt engine. It’s not built by them only sold through them.

if that makes any sense.
    It’s probably a good rebuilt engine. You just will never know by who or who it was sold by.

If it runs good and ain’t causing you grief don’t worry about it.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. unfinished

unfinished

You are exactly right!! But the more time goes on I kinda think I would like to know in case I needed a quick basic motor I would go with whoever this supplier was since I'm having a good experience.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

You might look at one of the bar code apps for your phone. Point your phone camera at it and see what it comes up with. Might be interesting. Mike

Deuces likes this.
  13. unfinished

unfinished

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll hafta get some help from a younger person sounds like a good suggestion

Deuces likes this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, let us know who built it!...:)

15. squirrel

squirrel

You'll probably find that the barcode is just the number...which you already googled and came up empty

Lloyd's paint & glass and Deuces like this.
  16. SR100

SR100

Squirrel pegged it.
    Original image:
    upload_2021-10-17_17-37-34.jpeg

Barcode I generated in Code-128 format:
    upload_2021-10-17_17-37-6.png

Looking up VC11, several sites list a '79-85 350 with that code, but don't identify who rebuilt it.

AccurateMike and Deuces like this.
  17. unfinished

unfinished

Thanks for tryin and thanks for all the input! Like I said it's been a great little engine and I just thought it would be good to know the builder.

Deuces likes this.
  18. I do believe that is from ATk engines

Deuces likes this.
  19. AccurateMike, unfinished and Deuces like this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

21. unfinished

unfinished

Thanks Yarddog! I betchur rite because it had those very valve covers when I got the car!(soon replaced em with LT1s). The previous owner did not repaint it and it is still black. Unfortunately for him he never got to drive the car. Deuces I think he's correct on the year as it is using that larger balancer on the crank. I have not run the numbers on the block. Man it's got awesome oil pressure and does not leak or use a drop. I thot the only way sbc didn't leak was cause it was out of oil! I was hoping someone would recognize the barcode and as it has been said before, this place is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Deuces likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

So, what are the cast #s on the back of the block??? I believe it's 010 and the Vin #s are probably for a pickup.....

23. unfinished

unfinished

I'll check it out when I get home tonite! I only have time to read the HAMB when I am at work!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  24. unfinished

unfinished

Well I reckon I owe everyone an apology. I hadn’t bothered checking the casting numbers because I thought that was only gonna tell the year and what vehicle it came. However upon checking the casting it’s 10066036 and google tells me that’s an Hispanic engine. I can only assume it crossed the river legally. Thanks again everyone