Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Speedway Motors query

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rodsports, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Rodsports

Rodsports

G'day HAMBers,
    I'm just looking for a bit of guidance regarding Speedway Motors. I am trying to purchase a few items and ordered these. I received an email from Speedway stating that as I am not in the USA (I am in Australia) they will not accept a credit card and I will need to do a bank wire transfer. After this first transaction they will accept a credit card for future purchases. The email has come from an email address titled Speedway Motors support but the email DOES NOT have any Speedway Motors branding. They have provided a bank account details.
    My query is - is this fair dinkum? Or is it potentially a scam? I dont want do a transfer in case it is not genuine and I am just transferring money to a scam account.

An excerpt and bank details are below. Has anyone else come across this? Im ok if this is legit, but just want to make sure. I have also sent an email to Speedway as well.

Thanks Guys, really appreciate your help and guidance...Dani.

Thank you for your order with Speedway Motors. My name is Haley; a member of the International Sales team.

I apologize we cannot accept a credit card as payment for your order because you are using a credit card with an international billing address. We require that you prepay for the order with a bank wire transfer to our account before we can ship the order to you. Once we receive a bank wire as payment, you should be able to use a credit card on future orders.
    Bank Name: U.S. Bank
    Main Office: Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Our Branch Office: 13th & 'M', Lincoln, Nebraska 68508
    Bank Account Number: 105701039015
    Bank Routing Number: 104000029
    US Bank Swift Code: USBKUS44IMT
    Account Holder Name: Speedway Motors, Inc.
    Mailing Address: PO Box 81906, Lincoln, NE 68501
    Physical Address: 340 Victory Lane, Lincoln, NE 68528

2. Jones St.

Jones St.

Does your nation allow incoming from USA?

3. alchemy

alchemy

Give them a phone call at the advertised number, not any number from the suspect email. The clerk should be able to give you the straight scoop.

Woogeroo, timwhit, ottoman and 9 others like this.
  4. Rodsports

Rodsports

We do Mate, yes.

5. chopped

chopped

Sounds bogus to me. Has no one here from another country ever used Speedway?

6. swifty

swifty

Sounds similar to what happened to a mate of mine when he tried to buy parts from Speedway. Ended up he got another bloke in our club to buy the parts for him. I could ask him tomorrow if you like.

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Contact Speedway , I would like to see A copy of the entire email. There are key words and punctuation that are a dead give away.
    I don't know if Speedway operates like what you're describing, but it sounds like a scam.

8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I would also call the credit card co. and ask them about this.

9. 5window

5window

Th Swift Number is correct and the routing number is for US Bank in Minneapolis. Still the account number could be fake. I'd follow others and call Speedway at an advertised number.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  10. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Rodsports,ITS NOT A SCAM.That is how it is NOW with Speedway from OUTSIDE the USA since Sept last yr. Once you have made the first purchase ( I think its a $1200 first purchase limit)with a wire transfer ,you can use your card.It happened last Nov to my friend here in France.Speedway has modified their policies. I personally was on the phone to Speedway Int'l dept -they were Very nice and they explained it clearly. In a nutshell its about fraudulent use of credit cards. There are also limits to how much you can put on a card .My friend spent over $4K and we had to go thru hoops to get all authorized.PM me if you have questions.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    warbird1, 5window, harpo1313 and 3 others like this.
  11. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I have never heard of this, but then again I'm not out of the country either. Definitely call them.

12. squirrel

squirrel

One person who replied (Deuce Lover) knows what he's talking about, you should probably listen to him?

It doesn't sound like a scam to me. I don't know how anyone other than Speedway would know that you were trying to place an order with them. That is, before you told the world here on the HAMB :)

13. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Thank you Squirrel. I had not a clue either until my buddy here needed help and not speaking the language was another obstacle.

14. I wish i could have all of the money back that I've spent at speedway :D and their shipping is awesome. Guess if I tried to order my parts from another country I'd probably bad mouth the cost too. I'd just call the big ol number that's on every page of the catalog, give them my customer number, and ask what's up with my order. I'm sure they'll have all of your answers. Actually pretty cool of them if it's being done to combat fraud. Kudos speedway motors ;)

15. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

You know, the scammers are getting much more technically advanced all the time. One has to exercise caution when a transaction just does not look right, or you are dealing with large amounts of money. Obviously Speedway has had problems with credit card fraud from overseas in the past and are now very cautious in accepting a new foreign credit card. As others have pointed out, a call to Speedway would be the first thing to do.
    To me the more concerning matter would be the extremely high cost of shipping that Speedway charges to overseas customers. You know there are other vendors out there that could probably supply the parts you are looking for. If I were in your position, I would get on the computer and do some research and just see what parts are available. It certainly can't do any harm to shop around before you place an order with Speedway.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  16. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Why not open a Paypal account? They accept that as payment.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  17. spanners

spanners

I purchased an alloy fuel tank for my avatar a couple of years ago from Speedway using PayPal. No dramas. As far as freight costs, at the time I think it was $25aud or there abouts. Ordered online on the Saturday, had it on my front door in Australia the next Friday.

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doubt it would happen that quickly today.:(

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd check with them as to being able to buy using Paypal first.
    I'd first suggest deleting their bank info from the post though.
    If you do the bank wire transfer your banker can probably double check as to it being Speedway.

20. Google will show you any bank's routing number.

21. 5window

5window

Yep, that's how I checked. But I didn't go as far as the account number.

22. Gofannon

Gofannon

I have just been trying to log in to Speedway from NZ. Last ordered 2 months ago, but they logged me out and now I can't get back in. Tried to reset my password, but there is no record of my email address. I guess I'll have to re-register and go through the whole wire transfer process?? Also had trouble at Summit as their website would not let me order. I got pissed off and went to Jegs. Also worth noting is that USPS will no longer ship to Australia and NZ, not that you would want to use them anyhow. The world is turning to crap. I could probably get stuff out of China without issue.

23. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Phone call first up is your best bet.
    While talking to them, see if they will accept Paypal, a better alternative for both parties concerned, protects your credit card details and AUD to USD is possibly a little kinder to you...

24. Just to clarify, you are saying that the United States postal service will not deliver mail to Australia or New Zealand, whether a letter or a parcel?

25. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

It's the exact same info that's on their website for making a wire payment. Like Alchemy & others have said, a phone call is the best insurance. When you call, press 1 and Amy should answer.....she will be able to confirm.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Info/FAQ........ about half way down.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For about 5 or 6 years, I partnered up with a HAMB member in Tasmania. He would buy parts he needed and had them shipped to my house in the States. When there were enough for a good size box, I'd ship them to him. We did this many times over the years and he reckoned he saved thousands in shipping costs. He reimbursed my expenses via PayPal. It worked great and wasn't a problem for me at all. It took a lot of trust on both our parts.
    Just saying maybe you guys outside the states could partner up with someone here and do the same.

I'm having health problems, so sorry, but I'm no longer able to help out.

27. Gofannon

Gofannon

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cost to get a shipping container from point A to point B has skyrocketed since this Covid bullshit. 2020 cost for getting a 40" shipping container from China to the US was around $3K. as of now it's hovering around $16K. All the rates for overseas are ascending, and even in the US I've noticed the prices jumping. A month ago I ordered some Model A sheet metal parts, shipping was $36. Late last week I had to return one of the heavier pieces due to stupidity, and a smaller package with less than the original weight cost $44. I asked the FedEx guy WTF, and he said prices went up.

29. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Properly done, and you need to know from the other party’s correct info, wire transfers are the best way. Done deal. Period. They can be sent by the bank numbers with “for the benefit of John Smith” to make it clear on the receiving end.