Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb cleaner that works?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Oct 17, 2021.

1. birdman1

birdman1

What is the best carb cleaner for a crudy old carburetor? And what is good for polishing a carb? I have 6 old 94 Ford carburetor to get ready for a 6x2 intake for my 430 Lincoln this winter.

2. jimvette59

jimvette59

I have read that Muriatic acid and water for a short time does a great job. You must degrease it first.

Deuces likes this.
  3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I use lacquer thinner and/or acetone.

Deuces likes this.
  4. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I still dip mine in Berrymans gallon can with the basket. It's not as good as it used to be but it still works. Just have to let them soak a little longer. I just did an old carter and two old honda CL360 carbs in a can I've had for about 4 years. All came out clean and ready to build after a rinse followed by a good blowing out.

carpok, juan motime, swade41 and 6 others like this.

5. noboD

noboD

For spray use Berkibile 2+2, red and blue can. They haven't ruined it yet.

6. When I worked at the truck shop at a cement plant, we used a lot of muriatic acid for cleaning trailers, etc. One day a guy comes by and wants to dip his carb in a bucket of acid. He ties a wire to the brass fitting and dunks her in. Comes back at the end of the shift, pulls the wire and all thats there is a brass fitting.:eek:

swade41, Fitty Toomuch and Bob Lowry like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

I think @carbking mentioned hot water and dawn dish soap in an ultra sonic cleaner.
    I did a Solex carb last year with the “new” Berrymans. As mentioned, had to leave the parts in it for two days to be able to easily remove the varnish.

Deuces likes this.
  8. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I'll second 2+2 as the most potent spray. I have a dunk can of Gunk. Not as bad assed as their old Hydroseal, it does work. I've tried a bunch of stuff in the heated ultrasonic. Nothing works dirty. Might as well use Dawn and replace it with new, every time. Simple Green Pro HD works better. $14 worth does a great job, a couple of times. Mike

Deuces likes this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I've heard Simple green or Pine-Sol in an old crock pot, or ultrasonic, works pretty well. Careful not to leave in too long or the alloy will permanently darken. Can't really get good chemicals anymore.

The "good stuff" back in the day was ethylene chloride if I remember right. That's banned, of course. The reason I think that was the stuff, it's also sold (or used to be) as paint or varnish stripper. Makes sense. Remember the paint stripper you brushed on, and the stuff was sloughing off in 10 seconds?

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gallon can of Berrymans with the basket. if the carb part is too big for the can I get a plastic container at Dollar Tree that the part fits in and set the part in it and soak it and then pour the cleaner back in the can. I used to carry my disassembled carbs down to a friend's shop and he would soak them for 5.00 including rinsing them off. That might be an option if you know someone with a shop who has the 5 gallon pail of cleaner.

HSF, juan motime and Deuces like this.
  11. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

N methyl 2 pyrrilidone. Used in several; safe solvents and ink removers and paint strippers.

Deuces likes this.
  12. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Any cleaner you can't spell, MUST be good....

Truck64, Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When the wife’s not home, dishwasher with cascade and about a 1/4 cup of vinegar is great. Degrease first.
    In general if your machine is stainless inside about a 1/4 cup of vinegar every 3-4 washes will make it sparkle.

Deuces likes this.
  14. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

It does work very well Bob and is water rinsable too. Many commercial paint strippers used to use it because of its safety and effectiveness and it also was amain component in some of the "dump in the carburetor while the engine is running" cylinder cleaners. It softens and breaks down carbon deposits and does well softening and removing carburetor residue inside and out (not caused by ethanol or other corrosion.

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

I use Simple Green in an Ultrasonic. Works very well.

16. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Chemtool Berryman B12

juan motime likes this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

I just did a Rochester 4 jet and was wondering if there was a better way. I used Gumout spray carb and choke cleaner with a trimmed acid brush and a brass wire brush for the stubborn stuff - like I always do. But it's sure labor intensive. I miss the good old stinky Mechanic's Brand carb cleaner that I used to get at Pep Boys. With that stuff everyone knew I was rebuilding carburetors, me, my clothes and my shop stunk for a week or more afterwards. But it got carbs clean and back to factory colors if you didn't leave it in too long.
    Anyone know what the professional carb rebuilders use?

18. jimvette59

jimvette59

Ask Charley New York ?

19. greybeard360

greybeard360

Berryman in the 5 gallon bucket. Totally different than what is in the 1 gallon pail. It is the older eat the skin off your fingers stuff!! I have a 1 gallon pail here. I rebuilt 3 Holley 2 bbls for a friends 6 pack car. It took 2 days of soaking to get them clean. Next time I will get a 5 gallon bucket instead.

20. I second Pine-Sol

21. 1952henry

1952henry

24 hour+ soak in acetone.

22. Military can still get Hydro- seal.

23. I use the gallon size Barfyman's, just give them a scrubbing rinse in hot water after, then dry them with an air gun.

20201013_130100.jpg

Budget36 likes this.
  24. Gunk Hydroseal is still available,,,I just saw it on Zoro.com,,,,they had it in 5 gallon cans at least ,,,,,like 200 bucks for 5 gallons .

Berryman makes their stuff in 1 or 5 gallon size .
    They have the regular stuff at Walmart in a gallon can with a dip tray ,,,however,,,,that is really only 3 quarts in that can .
    Berryman sells the Professional grade stuff in 1 gallon refill cans,,,with a round screw lid,,,,,a full gallon.
    And the Pro 5 gallon size as well ,,,a full 5 gallons .
    Strong cleaner that works .

Never,,,ever ,,leave aluminum or pot metal in muriatic acid for more than a moment or two .
    It will melt it like butter .

Tommy

25. 6sally6

6sally6

Lloyd beat me to it!
    The good-old flammable deadly dsuff.......not the tree hugger non-flammable. squirt it inside and out.
    Second choice Berryman's........
    6sally6

26. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chemtool Berrymans B12

27. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Just tackled some very crazy oxidation in a Holley DP. Brake cleaner, pick, pipe cleaners and green ScotchBrite pad. Took all day to re-build but didn't melt anything and it's not rusting. Clean as a baby's behind and runs like Top Dog.

Joe