Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects When sometimes 11 gallons wont quite make it.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roger Loupias, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Roger Loupias

I respectfully question your statement that the tank is ‘securely mounted’. The two straps visible are rather ‘light duty’ in appearance, but more importantly, appear to nearly encircle the tank. Considering the tank is tubular, or circular, in shape it has little resistance to rolling. In a front end collision the g forces on the tank (when full, I am estimating about 80 lbs) will be substantial, in my opinion.

What I am suggesting is that the tank needs the anchoring system, whether base brackets and/or straps, to be as wide or wider than the tank diameter to best resist the rolling moment that will occur upon abrupt deceleration. Perhaps there are such brackets at the base of the tank that are not visible in the photos. If that is the case…..well….’never mind’

Ray

ekimneirbo likes this.
  2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yeah, the clear glass inline fuel filters have a bad reputation for occasionally leaking or coming apart. It's been discussed a couple times in older threads.

Old glass filter bowls as installed originally on early cars do not seem to have this problem.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

4. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

I can change it out to a canister type. Thanks

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I had a tire on my travel trailer spit the tread off on that section of hwy this past July. Fortunately I had a spare tire mounted on a wheel, plus an unmounted spare tire. I swapped the mounted spare onto the trailer than eased into Green River and found a guy there to put the other spare tire onto wheel with the treadless tire, and made it back to So Cal with no more tire troubles. Not much in Green River.

About 30 - 40 years ago I had another exiting adventure along that stretch of hwy, but I won't go into that here..... ;)

Roger Loupias likes this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

buddy had the guy pull his '47 from winter storage and the glass filter on the firewall was cracked... he got it from me / ebay / china...
    i put a plastic one on next day...

Roger Loupias likes this.
  7. 6sally6

6sally6

Pretty fond of the 'Fall-flat' sticker too!!;)
    6sally6

Roger Loupias and southerncad like this.