Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coupe or Tudor ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldcarnut47, Oct 14, 2021.

1. spudshaft

spudshaft

Depends on condition really, but all else equal (or a little worse on the Ford) I’d take the 40.

olscrounger likes this.
  2. 64krusty

64krusty

put $30,000 of work and parts in each one, then see which one is worth more, my vote is for the Ford

Roger Loupias and WiredSpider like this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

Humphrey Bogart drove a 35 36 or 37 Plymouth coupe in a lot of his movies. So that makes them cool.
    [​IMG]
    Bogart car from High Sierra

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  4. rusty valley

rusty valley

The early mopar stuff was very well built, good cars for sure in the day. But in this day, the fords have always been more in demand to most folks. No insult intended to you brand x guy's, it's just the way the market is. Buy what YOU like is a good way to spend your money too

Roger Loupias likes this.
  5. We restored an old Chrysler back when I was younger. Everything was expensive and impossible to find. I do love me some Mopar, but a 40 Ford Sedan is a great foundation for a hot rod the family can enjoy with huge parts support in the market. I vote keep the Tudor, but without pics its a crap shoot.

6. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Coupe and parts are not hard to get guys. They are out there and repo parts for metal repairs are also out there. I have a 36 that only needed rockers and a door repair not bad for a Minnesota car

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  7. earlymopar

earlymopar

8. v8flat44

v8flat44

My paternal Grandpa had a Plymouth exactly like Bogart's & as a kid I loved it. But, today I'd have to have the 40 Ford. My dad had a new 40 Merc soft top & his friend rolled it. Dad replaced it with a 41 Plymouth which he LOVED...& he was a die hard Ford guy...?! Ya never know....

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I know. It was my buddy`s that I found for him. It now resides in Maine with it`s new owner.

10. THE PLYMOUTH. I was never afraid of NOT following the crowd. Be different!

Ben

Roger Loupias and NashRodMan like this.
  11. 4ever18

4ever18

What I or anyone else thinks has no value, unless you’re planning to sell or trade the vehicle. When investing both labor & money in a project, it is the passion of the investor that is paramount. This passion will help drive the investor to see the project thru to completion. When YOU see the car, it must be pleasing to YOUR eyes. As the famous fund manager Peter Lynch advised, “never invest in something that you wouldn’t mind being stuck with”.

12. Cymro

Cymro

A British build from the 1970's love it.[​IMG]

Roger Loupias likes this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

The '40 sedan of course. Mattel makes a Hot Wheels version but not for the Plymouth! BTW, I own a Plymouth.

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Here's a '36 Plymouth coupe I like a lot and I own a '40 Ford coupe
    0804rc-01-pl-james-danas-1936-plymouth-coupe-.jpg

Guy Patterson likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-10-19_4-15-9.png
    Hello,

Having owned two 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery hot rods, I am a little one sided. But as time goes by, our experiences in a two door coupe range from a wide body 46 Ford coupe, a 2 door 40 sedan, a 34 Ford coupe, our Model A coupe and of course our 1940 Willys Coupe. So, what did I gather in those years?
    upload_2021-10-19_4-32-20.png

A stock Flathead v8 is nice, but underpowered for our coastal road trips as there were a lot of steep road grades. The Flathead 40 Ford Sedan Delivery struggled each time, despite the high speed downhill run to get to the steep grade approach. But, in looking back, the lack of money was what kept me from getting a stroker Flathead motor from our friends at Reath Automotive.

We had seen those being built and run at Lion’s Dragstrip. The extra horsepower would have eaten those steep, road grades at any time and with the sedan delivery fully loaded for a weekend with surf camping stuff and two heavy longboards. But, money talks… at the time, we only had food money and gas money.

Today, my wife and I were thinking about getting another hot rod just for our local pandemic errand cruises. The limitation with the pandemic is that we take errand runs, make it into a short coastal area cruises to past places we use to frequent. The South County coastal area into San Diego county is full of things we used to do and places we used to visit frequently. But, the pandemic and all its supporters and non supporters are making it harder to wander around like we used to do regularly.

So, the idea of cruising around in an old hot rod filled our minds. We enjoyed all of the time with the El Camino on the California coastal and all over road trips. The coastal cruises in the 327 powered 40 Ford Sedan Delivery made us pinpoint what was good about a sedan delivery, a 2 or 4 door sedan versus a two door coupe.
    upload_2021-10-19_4-34-19.png
    The main difference is that the two door coupe cannot take more than two people. We now and since 2005, have our granddaughter to consider when going on short road trips. We used to take her all over So Cal, while her parents were hard at work. So, we need a vehicle that has a lot of room for all of us. We even picked her up from middle school and high school. Plus, a two door or even a 4 door 1940 Ford sedan would hit the spot.

Jnaki

We missed out on a local, green 40 Ford two door sedan that had everything we would want in a hot rod. The price was right, but we waited too long. Also, it was SBC powered, too. So, now, the Candy Apple Red 1940 Ford two door sedan is in our thoughts and the bank account agrees.

My wife has always said that if we ever get a multiple car garage (4-5) then we would get several hot rods, sporty cars and utilitarian trucks. But, that is a long time coming and won’ be seen for quite sometime, if ever. (we can always be ever hopeful…)

So, if you are single or with one other, then a coupe would do fine. But, remember, as two brothers tried to fit comfortably in a Model A and then the 40 Willys Coupe, it was a tight fit and needed some modifications. The Model A was sold and we moved the seats in the Willys Coupe back as far as possible. But side to side, it was still tight. Good thing it was only for 12 seconds in a straight line and we could overlook the tight quarters for those short drive-in parking lot cruises.

Both of our sedan delivery hot rods were two person vehicles. At the time, it was fine for me. Then, my wife and I in our daily drives/long road trips felt great. But, as our family grew, there was no way to safely and comfortably have a 3rd person in the back cave.

If a family or friends are concerned, the sedan is a better all around fit. Also, our preferences are a powerful SBC motor without all of the worries about a built up Flathead reliability for powering anything. YRMV

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Roger Loupias and i.rant like this.
  16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Keep the Ford and buy the Plymouth. There, problem solved...... If it was only that easy.

17. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have to go with the Plymouth. I have never been a fan of the 40 sedan. Just my HOP. Now if the 40 was a coupe that would be my choice. Henry nailed it with the 40 coupe!

HSF likes this.
  18. 40 Ford Tudor is my choice.

19. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Lets talk seating. I seem to find around here those with the tricked out sedans have the enjoyment of family and friends riding along to share the ride. The coupes, your honey only, or a gear head buddy. I could go both ways.

20. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg I gotta go with the 40 sedan .

21. Ford like this, the 50's Plymouths were for smuggling things because the police never stopped them, they were too slow.
    my sedan with a Carson Top.
    [​IMG]
    Or a sedan like this one
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  22. oldsman41

oldsman41

Coupe over a sedan any day.

23. dmar836

dmar836

If they were street rods, neither. After that it would depend on how they were hot rodded. I'd prefer the Plymouth if it wasn't all chopped up.
    D

24. I'm normally a coupe kinda guy but from those two choices sign me up for the sedan Screenshot_20211102-202903_Chrome.jpg

6sally6 likes this.
  25. Swade41 - I think you are trying to change my mind on the 40 front end.

swade41 likes this.
  26. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

40’ Coupe no doubt (built Flathead of course)