Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical French flathead in 1934 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dutchrod, Oct 16, 2021.

1. dutchrod

dutchrod

I have a stock 1934 frame with torque tube and 1939 trans.
    I want to put a french flathead in it (which is basicly a 8ba)
    I tried the search and i can i only find converting to 59 ab style.
    I want to try to just leave the 8ba style distributor and front dress and raise the engine and trans a bit and maybe trim the crossmember to clear the pulleys
    I have read that i need 8rt waterpumps but I don’t know if they line up with the stock pulleys?
    I know the fan will be an issue and raising the engine wil cause floor problems but i have a body without stock floor so that’s not an issue.
    Can anybody give me info and maybe pics about the 8ba / french flatty in a 34 frame without converting to 59ab front dress ?

2. dutchrod

dutchrod

3. clem

clem

I have an 8ba, ‘39 trans, torque tube in a stock ‘32, - earlier pumps, but similar to 8RT pumps with donut type mounts, making it easier to mount motor. - Overall, not much room, but it fits. Seen a French flathead in a ‘32 p/u, not much different to 8ba
    I thought that the differences in water pump was only in the pulleys, wide verses narrow.
    Not what you’re asking about, but would imagine that a ‘34 has more, - not less room to work with.

bttt…….to get some helpful answers for you…….

note, sometimes these threads get lost due to International time differences !

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  4. dutchrod

dutchrod

The 34 has less space then a 32 , sounds strange but true.
    I did a french flatty in my european 32 tudor with bo problems.
    In a 34 the room around the crossmember and radiator is limited

clem likes this.

5. dutchrod

dutchrod

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d convert your flathead to a front mounted distributor. Yes alittle more work but much easier then dealing with space issues.

dutchrod likes this.
  7. dutchrod

dutchrod

I know but i have to order all parts from the us with all extra cost so if it can be done with a stock front it will be nice.

It must be done before.

8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have tried to stick a few motors into my 1933 pheaton and with no luck without doing trimming and cutting. Plus the electric fan for me is a no but that’s me..
    You are right it’s tighter then a 32 by a inch or so and with the 8ba not sure. I am working on a flathead right now and shorten it up with truck pumps . Being it’s a 53 mercury motor or eac like your French flatty the pumps need to be later ones. So they stick out to clear the distributor. I also used a truck pulley and machined the splash or slinger off the pully . I left the duel pullies on it as I was thinking of a McCulloch vs57 blower in the future. If you notice I am also running a early edelbrock regular intake and had to machine a spacer for the intake for everything to line up.
    I measured the motor and center of the fuel pump studs to the waterpump pullies is 25 inches. That is the same dimensions as a 59a in my roadster but to the distributor and waterpump length is 24 inches so just a inch.
    I too am curious on your build as my 33 has the 21 studded motor in it. image.jpg

Budget36, rusty valley and dutchrod like this.
  9. dutchrod

dutchrod

Thanks for your reply.
    I also don’t like the electric fan , i want to go with generator style with fan if possible and machine the crank pulley down to single.

10. dutchrod

dutchrod

No stock 8ba in a 34 ?

11. shorrock

shorrock

I have a french flathead in my 34 Tudor. I did not use the mechanical fuel pump as there is not enough room for it in front of the firewall. My fan is beltdriven from a second belt downwards from the dynamo. Can take a couple pics tomorrow.

continentaljohn and clem like this.
  12. dutchrod

dutchrod

Great ! , do you still have the torque tube and early trans / stock engine position?

13. shorrock

shorrock

No torque tube, no early trans. Chevy axle, single link triangle, open drive and T5 box. Engine is probably in stock position as no new mounts needed.

continentaljohn and dutchrod like this.
  14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I would love to see that fan pulley setup sounds cool

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is no stock 8BA in a 34:cool:
    upload_2021-10-18_13-0-45.png

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

One problem you have using the French flathead especially in the 34 is the casting at the rear of the block where the governor was located. Its a large amount of iron that's going to be in the way of the firewall. I'm in the middle of removing all that extra iron from a French block that's going to be used in a 34. Lots of milling required. Then there's two holes that need to be dealt with once the mass of casting has been removed. Lots of work needed to get it right.
    Ronnieroadster