Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you listen to in your garage?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 41 C28, Feb 6, 2008.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Live streaming from radio station WWOZ in New Orleans, simply the best station for jazz and blues!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My wife and I grew up with rock and roll music in the late 50s and early 60s. But, our eyes opened up to some really rocking music during the hey days of the 1966-70 era. They still last today, to bring back some regularity to the pandemic woes for everyone. Listening to the music just seems to make things a little less hectic and slightly calming.

But, how can some rocking music of the 90s compare? The sound quality was there with the upgraded speakers, blasting high power receiver and digital CD music. But, now that those are passe, our music is now locked into our mp3 digital playlists and broadcast over some Audioengine A2 speakers for the new quality sounds from our varied play lists.

Jnaki

In the late 60s, my wife and I used to dance around our small apartment with the rock and roll sounds blasting for just about everything. House cleaning, cooking, sitting around enjoying life, etc. Nothing was better than listening to music with someone you know well.

So, we were both doing some mundane garage clean out of our now, "getting clogged" drawers and tall cabinets. I decided to play a folder called 1990s rock and out of this was a trio of sounds from one of our favorite 90s rock bands.
    https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=AxuTd9rwEHQ&list=RDAMVMAxuTd9rwEHQ
    Everlong Foo Fighters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhzmNRtIp8k&list=PL0LnWnL-0hb59Gw9lOCauIJKci4Q2DSdA&index=5
    Times Like These

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dwuzqF6huc Learn to Fly original

We paused when the music playlist came on and stopped cleaning. We started to do some moves we used to do way back then. Throughout the laughter of the scene, it was fun and memorable. The music just made us move our old bones, like the old days.

When we were finished, we came in and put on the You Tube channel on the big screen TV to see the actual videos. We ran across this wonderful display of Learn to Fly, not the original, but a gathering of a bunch of people all singing, rocking out, playing the musical instruments, and having a rollicking good time while doing it.

Normally, we do not like cover versions of songs, but this one just made the mood really enjoyable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozAmXo2bDE
    1000 rockers singing Learn To Fly

chryslerfan55 and captaintaytay like this.
  3. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Saturn V

Saturn V
    from Killen AL

I listen to alot of classic rock from late 50's to the mid 80's. Every now and then we'll pull out some 20's up blues and bluegrass. All depends on the mood I'm in

5. Deuces

Deuces

That one was good! How's about one from Sam Cook???..;)

6. big bird

big bird

Lately, Billy Gibbon's "Hardware". Started listening to that about a month before Dusty passed.

7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The pandemic causes problems for a lot of people, but for us, it is a way to catch up with things we should have been doing all along. A bi-weekly garage clean out/ car maintenance has been part of our active days and since the “less is more” driving, that part of the garage activity has been lacking. The cars stay cleaner, longer. Which is good, but not good since we don’t go traveling as we used to do. We do follow the strict activity so as not to cause an increase in pandemic stats.

Rather than a recent rock music session, we remembered the playlist we created for our granddaughter’s soccer games and practices. The era was 2015 and it was a great time to be retired and enjoying life to include being with our granddaughter. Now, she is a junior in high school, driving, has different tastes in music, clothes, and with her friends, a strong interest in vintage clothing/jewelry.

But, during her formative years while she was staying with us most of the week for sleepovers and daily times of having her interests in music were random, but melded into our tastes, too. So, a 2015 play list set at random was the start.

Starting with MGMT’s “Electric Feel.” I could not stop jumping around. Work took a back seat for a moment, with the loud music to get the old bones moving. My wife came into the garage to see what I was up to, she started laughing at the scene unraveling before her eyes. This song is one of her favorite songs, too.

Electric Feel MGMT

Good music never dies, it just helps the memory cells function as if it was just yesterday. Wasn’t it just 6 years ago for this 2015 playlist?

upload_2021-10-31_4-47-20.png
    If this old 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a 327 SBC was still with us, it would have put a topper to the whole scene in our small two car garage.

DIIV’s “Under the Sun” came next and continued the two old folks jamming to the tunes in the insulated garage at high volume. We knew that since we installed the premium insulated garage door, little, if any, loud sounds gets to the outside areas. A test proved the purchase of the insulated door worked as advertised. Now, I can also go in the garage at any time during the summers because of insulating factor keeping the heat out.
    Under the Sun

Moving into the 2015 pop group 5th Harmony with “Don’t Want to Dance Alone”… what a series… and it was a perfect setting for about 15 minutes. We were laughing the whole way… What a crazy thing to do instead of cleaning out the drawers and cabinets, as well as doing a detail job on my wife’s station wagon.
    Don't Want to Dance Alone

Until the last song popped up breaking the dancing and laughing… was a 2013 song, not 2015, but our granddaughter’s influence on two old folks is intense. Just A Kiss by Lady Antebellum from 2011.
    Just A Kiss

What a combo for the start of the garage job for the next hour or so. Throw in Passion Pit’s version of “Where The Sky Hangs.” From the 2015 play list as we bowed, curtsied to each other, and went on our way to the dreaded job of a massive garage clean out. Our "togetherness" from the long years since 1966 just melded into a fun activity...
    Where the Sky Hangs

Jnaki

It wasn’t all 2015 songs, but the whole playlist was created for our road trips with our granddaughter who was “6 going on 25” with her tastes in music, dance, and stylish clothes. It made the garage clean out, car detailing pleasant and we were not disturbing any one with our actions. Although, it would have been disturbing to see a couple of old folks “dancing to the music…” Ha!

We even made her a Halloween composite play list so we could listen as we drove to the beach and nearby parks.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  8. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Try this one out

9. I was trying to "teach" my Pandora Doo-Wop station today, and they threw me a few Four Seasons songs, which I gave the thumbs down to.
    The only one I can think of that would be borderline is this one... .Marlena was the B side of Candy Girl but It rose to number 36 nationally anyway.
    How about those out there who view this stuff? Any Doo Wop aficionados in the house? DooWop? Yes or no?

chryslerfan55 and echo ed like this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

just listened to the Stranglers followed by Albert King

11. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

12. Cooon

Cooon

Just incase if it hasn’t been mentioned already, Kustomrama does vintage playlists on Spotify if that’s your thing.

13. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

You say you like the who and I say you bettaaaaaaa!

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

15. LAROKE

LAROKE

Everything but hip hop.

16. 29A-V8

29A-V8
    from wyoming

yeah Louie and Keely. she had a voice that would make you wanna (oh well thinking I better keep that to myself) :cool:

17. Big Dad

Big Dad

18. Big Dad

Big Dad

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

top of the range

20. Deuces

Deuces

10 thumbs up....;)

chryslerfan55 and captaintaytay like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

22. Hank Jr.

23. At the Moment lot s of the Gaslight Anthem/ NY / HC or lots of podcasts

24. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Attached Files:

knucklenutz likes this.