Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 26 T radiator- need some direction

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fisher400, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Looking for any ideas on a 26/27 T radiator for a flathead. I know Brassworks still makes them and probably would be gorgeous… but for $900…has me thinking of alternatives. My car will be late 30’s style and with the T grill. With the T radiator so focal I don’t think a $200 aluminum eBay special is going to look right… even rattle canned black. Has anyone had an original T re-cored and modified by a radiator shop? Is this feasible or a fools errand? Open to ideas!

2. Anderson

Anderson

This was a cheap ebay aluminum radiator. I extended the bottom of the grill to cover the lower tank. Painted it black. The thing worked great and I never thought it looked bad.
    04FE8798-2148-4B68-95A9-0B761758F329.jpeg

Jim Bouchard, Paul, MMM1693 and 10 others like this.
  3. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Sorry, I meant to respond sooner! Thanks for sharing. Any pictures of the engine side of the rad? Do you remember what eBay brand/seller you got it from? Thanks!

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I’m in the same boat,I’m building a 26 roadster with a 296 flatly. I’ve always sided on the buy a good radiator. I think you will regret buying a cheap ass aluminum unit. There’s no protection on a T and I can guarantee the fins will be bent and look like crap.
    I talked with brassworks about 3 weeks ago and the radiator I will end up getting is $1100 but it will be well worth it.
    My other T is a 26 modified with an 8 ba using Walker. The car was on the road in 2007 and the front of the radiator still looks good it has paint chips but the fins are not bent flat.
    My advise is bite the bullet if you plan to drive the shit outa your car and buy a copper/ brass radiator. 22359CDC-9ABB-4A3E-A4F4-CB26F3E37449.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Speed Gems, Fisher400 and 51504bat like this.

5. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

I know… and with a T it is so out there and exposed… not to mention I plan to run no hood and side panels… so is Brassworks the only ones left who do it right? I know Walker is gone and I am not sure even the aluminum eBay specials stock a 27 rad for a flathead setup… I looked at cold case and griffin those are $900 for a flathead 27 rad heck I will buy the real thing for that cost. Any other ones doing it right than Brassworks?

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I put the word out also and guys gave some names of some smaller local guys that could build what we want but I had several recommendations to go to brassworks. I wish Walker was still going because between my pops and I we have four cars running walkers and have not had a problem one.
    brassworks is $1100 and 18 weeks out at this point but I think for me it’s my only option that I feel comfortable with. I’m a cheap ass by nature but I have always saved for the best rad I could get. I don’t want to be the guy on the Cruze that is stopped on the side of the road overheated.

7. I've had a radiator shop build specials for me using T top tanks and A bottom tanks with a new core to fit Model T grill shells. They're doing one for me at the moment to suit a flathead.

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty sure theses guys could make one in brass/copper but they are in SoCal. I've had them do repairs/modifications to 2 different radiators and the work was top notch. A buddy had them do a custom radiator for an OT Bronco and was happy with the final product and price.
    http://fontanaradiator.net/

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That sure is a great looking T! Is that using quarter elliptical front springs?

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Blues4U likes this.
  12. I ran the same in my T, it lasted until about 15K miles and only died from a vibration issue from the rad support rods. . GV bought another and the car is still going strong at 25K. I have one for my Tudor setting in the shop. You can order from these guys.

High Performance Radiator and Parts | Aluminum Radiator | Rochester, MN (dillonradiator.com)

13. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Try to get one with 4 rows of tubes. In hot weather you'll probably need it. I have a 4 row aluminum radiator in my A-V8 and it handles the flathead well. If you go aluminum just lightly paint it with black radiator paint. I won't tell. :)

14. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Excellent replies here. Thanks you for giving my lots to check check out. I think I am leaning towards brass/copper (ouch!). I am really thinking about US Radiator and their 28 model A Flathead set up radiator with '28 ford grill. Though I love the T grill, I will need to have a model A bottom and T core/top style due to my model A crossmember up front. Not a stock alum item and very custom in copper/brass. If I go nickel plated '28 model A grill, US rad has them already for a flathead. Besides, I have Model A headlights for this car and it will go perfect with the A frame etc. Lots of Model A and T items on this little car so it will flow well.

15. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Wanted to close the loop on this post. After mocking up a 28 shell and thinking of ways I would have needed to lower it to fit the T body… in the end I basically was making a custom t height radiator. I moved back to my original plan of the 26 rad and working with Brassworks in Cal. It was great to work with Lee there. They know what we are working on and are knowledgeable. He even used an original t fill , made it functional and concealed the pressure cap. He also made it 3.5 inches thick so it cools better. 4 rows. Rad came a few weeks back. Very happy. You truly get what you pay for with them.

Attached Files:

AndersF, Jim Bouchard, Tman and 4 others like this.
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My exact experience with Brassworks as well. Lee took the time to make sure the 4 row radiator for the 8ba in my '39 p/u would fit correctly. I picked it up directly at the factory when I went to Trog at Pismo Beach. Very impressive operation. And yes, you're correct, you get what you pay for.

Fisher400 likes this.
  17. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You won't regret dealing with Lee at Brassworks. I've got two from him and both excellent. Put a US Radiator in my 53 dodge/350 sbc another great piece and good people to deal with. I cannot deal with Dillon Radiator. Product is probably fine but assholes to deal with.

Fisher400 likes this.
  18. Looks good!

Fisher400 likes this.
  19. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Yea US rad impressed me as well. A solid choice if I was replacing a stock rad. Brassworks wanted to get pretty crazy… at some point I said,” pretend it’s 1948, make me a T top with a A bottom for a flathead like an old rad shop would.” Once I said that they understood perfectly what I was going for

20. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I had a US radiator in my hotrod and it wouldn't cool my blown hemi....Got two row aluminium with inch and half tubes and it worked fine....Wanted a brass one but needed one that worked....

2OLD2FAST likes this.