Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thinking about this 1932 pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Enviro-1, Oct 12, 2021.

1. The owner is sick, or dead, or half of each, and the family has to split the money up 6 ways.
    They found a 3-ring binder with a bunch of receipts and they're knocking a few grand off the total because, "Well, it's almost new. Pops didn't drive it that much".
    None of 'em has the scratch to buy out the other 5 and at least 3 of 'em are planning to hang tight until they get their number.

2. This happens all too often. We are going through a similar situation right now with the in-laws. Grandpa is slowing down and grandma forgets where she is at. The one sister (aunt) is getting lawyers involved and wanting everything appraised. I told my wife to tell her dad that if he wants any of the old cars to stay in the family he needs to have grandpa sign the cars over to him now before they become part of the estate. The aunt is money hungry and wanting her fair share and wants the 58 Corvette that she has never worked on or spent a dime on. Family can suck. All you old timers need to get your shit together so someday your family doesn't rip its self apart fighting over money and property.

3. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

As stated above.You find the true nature of family members when there is a death in the family

'28phonebooth and williebill like this.
  4. On the "consignment" issue..it's understandable the sales force has no knowledge of the build.
    This, or any other consigned vehicle does have a knowledgeable owner (or at least someone with a history of the vehicle) who can answer some, or all of your questions, let the sales staff know you're seriously interested in the vehicle and you want answers to some of the questions you may have, so they will need to present your questions to the consignee before you proceed with any serious offer.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Here I thought I signed into the hamb this morning. WTH guys?
    And as far as flathead popularity being the vogue, I’d say that carried all the way back to the 40’s.
    I am really shocked by these remarks.

6. Among HAMBers the flathead is king. I think the comment about flatheads being worth less is targeted at the average population. The ease of owning a modern OHV engine adds value to the average buyer, but the opposite would be true for a HAMBer. Traditional hot rods are a niche market compared to the rest of the hobby. For me, flatheads are king. But, the truck in question is more of a confused street rod that lacks quality and questions about hackery arises.

VANDENPLAS and Petejoe like this.
  7. Yep. I’d pay more for non SBC powered stuff.
    I own a couple. It’s not an insult to a SBC. But it’s the cheapest, easiest thing to build. Paying more for something cheaper just doesn’t add up.

8. I think the average person looking for a fun car or truck just wants to change the oil and drive it. They don't want to worry about all of the little things that come with owning and operating a flathead. Flatheads can be crazy expensive to fix and not too many shops have the knowledge to make the repairs. This scares off a large number of buyers in the hobby. It's all about perspective and use. Again I'm not bashing on flatheads. I love em. But if you go to your average car show, out of 1000 cars, there might be 5 to 10 flatheads if your lucky. This perspective in the market can affect value. For me though, I don't even look at hot rods with a SBC or SBF in them. Flathead's, Hemi's, Caddy's, Olds, ect are the rods that grab my attention. At the end of the day there is an ass for every seat.

VANDENPLAS and Petejoe like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Exactly my point that I referred to as not running down a flathead but from a market perspective.

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  10. Yep. Less non SBC stuff out there.
    Should increase the price for not having one

warhorseracing likes this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Both good replies.

Comes down to should vs does ....... with aging buyers. IMHO

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

it’s a good looking truck but as said not a hamb build.
    I would also say what’s 1932 on the truck? The cab as the rest is not 32 as the bed is homemade and tailgate not sure what it is. I look at details on a car or truck and what scares me is the steering linkage. I think the truck has a great stance but with poor or scary details like steering linkage diamond plate garnish molding and rockers and piss poor wiring it’s not worth that price. I see no details pictures of the chassie on the website either and have to ask why. A well built highly detailed truck would be ok at that price
    Lots a nice trucks out there and as said prices are all over the map. At that price I would sell mine lol as other would as well. D6D59E6F-B9AF-4344-96D7-BD9D65EA068B.jpeg

13. Enviro-1 likes this.