Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Finally on the road after 57 years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malibu406, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Malibu406

Malibu406

While not making the power tour in the 50 was a major let down, I worked out allot of the small details this week. Put about 40 miles on it tonight. Went well. It needs aligned and the front disk brakes pull some to the right. Got to figure the brake issue out. I think its a residual valve?

Car was parked in 1964, been a long journey. Still have door panels to sew, headliner, package tray and some other stuff this winter.

Attached Files:

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Could be a caliper hanging up...

Deuces likes this.
  3. swifty

swifty

Congratulations. You see heaps of Chevs but never Pontiac. I like the extra pieces on the end of your bumpers. Can never have too much chrome. Were there overriders on the front bumpers too? You'll have to watch out now as some hot rodder will pinch your tail lights LOL

Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. Malibu406

Malibu406

Yes thats how it came. It was allot of work. Spent a ton of time sanding, buffing, and filling in all the spotty rust spots by hand with a tiny paint brush and red oxide colored primer. It wouldve been easier to just paint it. Maybe I will someday, maybe not? I have only seen one pontiac like this in my area since I started working on the car 3 years ago. Must not be sny around because I have advertised the entire drive train and a bunch of parts and I only was able to sell the front seat. I hate to do it but the straight eight, rear, and hydromatic will probably end up scrap. Been in the way for 3 years but nobody wants any of it.

Its time to drive and work the bugs out of it.

Deuces, swifty and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Looks like it held up well for having sat all those years. Yeah, not a lot of interest in the old straight 8's.

Deuces, Malibu406 and loudbang like this.
  6. Good Job - have fun !

Deuces and Malibu406 like this.
  7. Malibu406

Malibu406

Just turned 500 miles, no problems yet. It drives like a dream, the lowering springs tightened it up well and no noticeable body lean/roll and the small block makes it simple to steer. I have had it up to 90 mph and 70 mph is the norm I see absolutely no drawbacks to the original suspension. No bumpsteer, twitchiness, wandering…nothing. My 69 442 is a soft and mushy boat in comparison. Only drawback with 19:1 steering is, if a deer jumps out in front of me Im going to have back straps for dinner no doubt.

Chief 64, Budget36, Squablow and 3 others like this.
  8. chiro

chiro

Awesome. My 8 cyl. '66 Mustang had a high ratio steering box in it. I swapped it for the same year 6 cyl. steering box which had a much tighter ratio. Made a world of difference. Maybe Pontiac did the same with their 6 cyl .cars. Worth checking into it.
    Andy

9. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

We’re nearly twins. My avatar had not been on the road since ‘65. I do like those early ‘50s Pontiacs. Try advertising the drivetrain on the aaca or POCI (Pontiac Oakland) forums. Someone would like to have the eight. The straight eight is a good engine. Keep us updated on your progress, pic heavy please.