Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A rear hydraulic brakes and track width

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RJD, Oct 15, 2021.

1. RJD

RJD

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered before but I can't seem to find it amongst the couple of hundred results I get when I search.

IS THERE A HYDRAULIC CONVERSION FOR THE REAR OF A MODEL A FORD THAT DOESN'T INCREASE TRACK WIDTH?????

I was planning on running the MT Lincoln set up, it adds 1 1/2 each side and that pushes the wheels right out to the edge of the fenders and looks off.
    40 Ford brake are mentioned a lot but as the drums are a similar width to the Lincoln I assume they push the wheels out too?
    To add to the problem the fun police rules in Australia mean I'd be best off with self-energizing brakes.
    I'd like the option of running wires if possible.

2. ChupaJustin

ChupaJustin

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. RJD

RJD

Unfortunately it's the same kit as the MT one and adds 1 1/2 per side. As far as I can tell all of the usual A Model part suppliers sell this same kit.

4. I'll do some measuring. But 99% sure my wheels didn't move out when doing regular ford brakes.

Tim likes this.

5. How much power are you thinking of putting through that Model A rear? They are not the same as a later V8 diff.

Wardog (also in Victoria) has a banjo in the back of his Model A. Although fenderless, I don't think he could have it any narrower, therefore, would be fine with fenders.

I assume you've watched his build thread?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  6. RJD

RJD

That would be much appreciated!

7. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I put '40 brakes on my '29 A-V8 with stock rear end and MT hubs and drums. I don't think there would be a problem. The MT drums have a thicker flange and you need the special studs but the width would be no more than an inch and a half total, not each. I have 8" wide wheels with 235/ 15 tires and even with that the tires only stick out about an inch or so past the fenders in the rear. A bit more so in the front. You should have ample clearance to use wheels with more back set to bring them in a bit if needed.
    See my avatar picture

8. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Boling Bros / Speedway Motors Lincoln brakes on my '30 coupe, front and rear, with '35 wires and 7.00x16 tires out back.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Stovebolt likes this.
  9. ThosD

ThosD

I'm a little late to the party. I recently installed Boling Bros. Lincoln brakes on my '30 coupe. I was not expecting such a wide track. Measured ~58 3/8 inches center to center; 6.00x16 tires on '35 wire wheels.

IMG_1769[1].JPG