Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boothill express... where is it now.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro 300e, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Carbuilder727

Carbuilder727

Stan Nystrom and I did all the work on the BootHill Express and I drove it. Ray had the idea and the money and we all worked for Ray. He was a great guy and a super promoter. I drove the BootHill a number of times . . . Contrary to what Tom said. There were runs he knew nothing about, because they had nothing to do with car shows. I drove it in parades, and down the main street of Mesa Arizona. I made a pretty strong run at BeeLine Dragway, at the Winternationals. While some may say different, I was there, I did what I did, and plenty of folks snapped photos that still exist. Proof trumps faulty memories, every time!

2. timelord

timelord

boothill and dragula where my favorites as a kid . still got the models

KeithA31 likes this.
  3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Hal, (Carbuilder727), if the Boothill copy ran more than once, I stand corrected. You were indeed the driver.

However, you infer that Ray had no hand in the actual building of the car..not true, he and Stan both played a larger role than you did. And there were never three Boothills, as you have claimed on another forum.

4. This comes back after Aug.2013?

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sep 2013 pix at Speedway Museum. Gary
    DSC_5518aW1600.jpg

6. I'd never seen this thread before, and although building a truck load of scale Hot Rods over the years, I've never had The Boothill Express.
    It's always been one of my favorites, this and Lil Coffin.
    Cool thread, thanks Tom and Hal for your input. It's always better to hear from the guys who were there, even if time has blurred memories.

The37Kid likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good thread, missed it the first time around. Bob

8. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The photo you posted is not a re-done Boothill; it's a re-do of Ray Farhner's "Wake Wagon", a companion piece to the Boothill Express.

I consider the Wake Wagon to be the best-looking of all the cars that were made from something other than cars of that era as shown below. The re-do was unfortunate and really ruined the car, in my opinion. And while I am not certain, it may have been Ray himself that re-did it. I was not around his operation at that time to know.

It ran and was was completely drivable, many of those type cars did not. It was built from an actual horse-drawn carriage that was in perfect shape when he acquired it. the doors clicked shut like a luxury car and all of the glass, including the curved corner pieces, had a nice bevel feature that bordered each piece.

wake wagon.png Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 3.18.53 PM.png

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Never saw the Wake Wagon before the above photos were posted, the original was so much nicer to look at. Bob

10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Bringing back up. Is it still at speedway motors?

11. It was this past June.

12. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! Along with a few other famous show cars you might recognize. These photos were taken July 4th weekend at the Museum of American Speed, Lincoln Nebraska:

DSC_5033_1200.jpg

DSC_4684_1200.jpg

kadillackid and The37Kid like this.
  13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Thank you , I haven't seen the original since 1974. I will plan on a trip soon to see it again. I haven't been to speedway since 1996. It's time to go again.

The37Kid likes this.