Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Identity Crisis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jerry rigged, Oct 14, 2021.

1. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

So, I'm trying to figure out if my '46 Chevy half ton project will fit in on the HAMB. It's not going to be a "Hot" rod since it's getting a stock, although later inline six with an updated driveline. It's not going to be a "Street" rod, since it won't have a LS motor, IFS suspension, AOD trans, tilt column and power windows. Also it will NOT be painted a pastel color. It won't be a "Rat" rod since it won't have a Farmall grill, 6" OD diesel stacks and have coyote skins for side curtains. Also, I detest that term. It won't be a "Bobber" since I'm not going to hack off any important parts. I don't think it will be a "Resto-mod" since nothing will be actually "restored". What I am hoping for is an old truck that can be used as a truck, keep up with traffic, hopefully stay in the road (I had some cars as a kid that were only in the road when they were crossing it), and stop in a straight line.
    What say you all? Is there a place on the HAMB for us? Maybe if we sit in the back pew and promise not to sing off-key?
    Jerry

2. Squablow

Squablow

Is it going to use any visible parts or styling not found until after 1965? If no, then I'm sure it'll be welcome here. If the drivetrain is newer than that, don't post pics of it here or mention what they are and you'll be fine.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Call it a driver and enjoy the heck out of it

X-cpe, rusty valley, -Brent- and 3 others like this.
  5. Magfiend

Magfiend

Sounds like a mild hot rod to me...

-Brent- and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Totally appropriate for here

-Brent- and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say he nailed it perfectly:
    The main key is does not have visible parts or mods that were not available or done before 1965 and life is good. That is what a Hamb friendly ride is. No billet, no 90's multi color pastel paint, No high back buckets, No billet. No spoke "trailer " wheels that get stuck on lot of six lug and no modulars or fake modulars. No ugly billet steering wheel with a fat padded rim either. Two cars that I poste shots of from the last show I hit had those blasted ugly "custom" wheels in them that did not fit the rest of the build even a tad.
    My best bud in Texas had a 41 Chevy pickup that was his go to work beater for a long time until he pulled the whole drive train out of a 69 SS 396 Chevelle out and swapped it over. The truck was a nice two tone olive and close to OD green with a green fabric seat and chrome wheels and sat at stock height. Someone in Texas may still be driving it around pretty much as he built it in the 70's and it wouldn't look out of place at Roundup today.

dana barlow, -Brent- and Just Gary like this.
  8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the description you gave, I'd say it'll fit like a glove around here. ;)

-Brent- and Just Gary like this.
  9. wvenfield

wvenfield

Why not just build your truck, post pics and worry from there?

10. BJR

BJR

Bring it on!

-Brent- likes this.
  11. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

A build thread will be forthcoming when I make enough progress to make it interesting. This is a low-bucks project (why do they call it a "fixed" income when I'm always "broke"?). Don't worry, @Mr48chev, it ain't gonna have no billet! Planning on painted steels with dog dish caps.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always need a good old reliable shop truck to haul parts and stuff.

13. I remember going to the grocery store for milk and eggs. The wife threw in a couple of other requests too. I get to the checkout and realize I'm not married. Two minutes later the phone rings. o_O

14. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

I know I'm a little slow, but could you explain that post to me?:p

15. There is no rational explanation :D:D:D Every now and then I feel the need to make sure people are paying attention ;)

Congratulations, you have passed the test. Please collect your award from the pretty lady at the front desk :)

alanp561, wraymen, woodscaper and 2 others like this.
  16. Most later american OHV engine/trans choices will get a pass as long as it has a carb and distributor...

17. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Hey, you wanna go drinkin' sometime?:)

Motorwrxs, alanp561 and borntoloze like this.
  18. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

And beer!!

alanp561 likes this.

19. Join me with my "up graded "Buick

Ben

21. we need a few pics to tell you for sure, but it sounds like a nifty lil truck

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

I could use a truck like that.