Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Super Wasp project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by john W., Nov 28, 2020.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

That Hornet was not more of a slug than any other 1951 car...

2. If it was sluggish, you didn't have it tuned right....

Hnstray likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Or it could be that the Hudson, when it's tuned right, still only turns an eighteen second quarter mile ET, and I'm used to driving something that's 8 seconds quicker.... :)

Mine was not running at it's best, but the Hudson is still not a fast car, by any modern standards. Yeah, it was pretty hot in 1951, but look at the competition.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

First things first, what is wrong with keeping the original Hydramatic? And if you could find a 1955 Cadillac hydramatic bell housing, then you could use any Cadillac engine from 1955-1963. Seems to me to be a much easier way of putting a Caddy engine in the Super Wasp! Obviously you will still need to weld some front engine mount brackets to the frame. But with the engine bolted up to the existing transmission, you will have longitudinal alignment and only need to place the front engine mount brackets. This, of course, is dependent on whether or not the V8 clears the firewall, steering shaft, etc.

Hnstray likes this.
  5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I guess it's too late, but the 390 Cad will give you a lot more power -- and that car ain't a lightweight. I guess you could look it up, but I'd think the Cad wouldn't weigh that much more than the Hudson -- they didn't cutback on iron. And ditch the bumper guards. They're just clutter.

6. v8flat44

v8flat44

Nice car !!!!!

7. john W.

john W.

The 4-door Wasp weighs in at 3650 lbs. Not bad.
    It handles well, so no mods there.