Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ramshackle Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lakeside65, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Quick update on the ramshackle roadster project...

My buddy is doing me a solid favor and picking up the 28 rolling chassis for me tonight. It will stay at his place until I am up there for deer season in early November. With that sorted out, I went searching for parts with the little bit of cash I have left in my original budget. I found half a dozen wide 5 wheels with 38 hubcaps that I plan to pickup later this week. Hopefully at least 4 with turn out usable. I found a set of 46-48 wishbones locally that I plan to pick up as well. My buddy @bchrismer, mentioned an extra 40 banjo rear end he had at a buddies shop that I am going to try and get my hands on. I found a 36 axle dropped 4" out in OK that is just out of the budget until my next payday, but I do plan to pick up and use eventually if it hasn't sold. Anyways, I've got the ball rolling with what I believe to be a good start. I plan to order some boxing plates for the frame and that will be step 1 once I get it home in November. Stay tuned!

bchrismer likes this.
  2. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Nice start with the rolling chassis. I was at TROG and took these pictures. You might like it. I am building a 26 on A frame so I always like to document cars for ideas. The Vern tardel book is the best guide you can buy. Also, I suggest finding the antique swap meets. I live near Hershey Pa, most of my T- parts came from the AACA Hershey fall meet… mecca for guys like us. See what antique shows/flea markets are in your area and haunt those events.

Attached Files:

3. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

And this is a t but with more v-8 running gear… less of the stock rolling A chassis like the previous car. I am putting my car together too. I’m the mock up stage. Bought the parts in 11th grade in 2004 and am just finding the time, space and money now to do it. Also my wife approved a second old car only if my boys could learn on it. Best excuse I can think of! Have fun with your project!

Attached Files:

4. Nice score on parts. The dropped 36 axle would be great! 40 Ford rear is great! If you plan on using a flathead v8, you really don't need the boxing plates. If the chassis is solid it won't bend. If you were going to put a SBF or SBC in it, then boxing the frame may be a good idea. Just my two cents, pass on the boxing plates and score more period parts. The boxing plates can make a traditional car look too modern IMO. But it's your car, so build it the way it suits you and is safe to drive. If you do box the frame, it would look better if you tuck the boxing plates in 1/2 inch or so. That way it doesn't look like a square tube frame.

48fordnut and Lakeside65 like this.
  5. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

That's good to know! I just assumed everyone boxed the frame. I do plan to run a nearly stock flathead so maybe it would be a waste of time. That actually helps a lot, I was really worried about trying to find an F1 crossmember and get it located in the frame before I boxed it. I will do some more research on it, thanks for the info man!

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  6. The whole boxing thing has been a big debate among hot rodders. Just watch the episodes of American Hot Rod when Blue Bear was trying to build a traditional hot rod and Boyd basically fired him for not boxing the frame. Blue Bear's frame was hacked and probably should have been boxed, but it is not needed when using a solid virgin frame. Not to mention, if done wrong, it can warp the chassis and cause bigger problems. Once you inspect your new chassis you can get a plan together based on its needs.

alanp561 likes this.
  7. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Interesting. My buddy did call last night after he picked up the chassis and said it is pristine. Not a bit of rust or pitting. He said the old man that sold it to me had a 28 pickup that was rumored to be a moonshine hauler, and it had the bullet holes in it to back up the stories. I was pretty upset that I didn't get to meet the guy but I do plan to go see him if I ever make it his direction.

8. Sounds like a good chassis with a cool story!

9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a look at an F1 crossmember that @Justin in PA did for his. He's got all the measurements and lay out lines in his thread. He used a stock frame but I used his info to fab mine. My frame is boxed so I put drilled plates on the ends of mine, drilled corresponding holes in the frame, tapped the holes and bolted the crossmember in. Here's how I dropped my tranny mount.

59AB tranny crossmember.jpg

48fordnut, Packrat and Lakeside65 like this.
  10. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Hello HAMB'ers,

Not too many new updates, but there are a few. I am still adding to the parts collection for now and I don't have any room to start building until I get moved into my new to me shop early next month. I did find an F100 steering box and column and an F1 crossmember that will fit the bill. Just need front wishbones and front end parts now. I am potentially going to make the drive over to Dewey OK for the November swap meet and hope to check a few more items off the list.

I am trying to make a decision on what do to with wheels and brakes. I've got a set of 40 brakes and drums, and I also have some wide 5 wheels that I want to run. How hard are the wide 5 drums to find and would any year of wide 5 drums work with the 40 brakes or just the 39's?

Lastly, I finally got to drive my 66 C10 for the first time since I tore it apart years ago for some upgrades. It was my first project ever and it was a super cool feeling to finally get to go for a cruise. It is a long fleetside bed and I hope that one day I will get to post a picture of a roadster body in the back of it! It should be perfect for hauling around old ford parts. It just needs some paint, but I am not too worried about that at the moment.

Attached Files:

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Good call on the wide 5s. Not many guys like them so even now they are plentiful and cheap. A few wheel options too, 3.5" wide are expensive but 4" wide are plentiful. Artillery high clearance wheels are scarce but cool as hell. Also, the hub caps are different for each year, including Mercury's, so many different looks.. Or you can run them without caps! All wide 5s will fit your 40 brakes.

Lakeside65 likes this.
  12. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

I kind of like them myself, I don't think they look to bad and they were priced right in my opinion. These are 4" and have 38 V8 caps on them that I think are pretty good looking as well. I hear they were used on the dirt track back in the day and dirt track racing is kind of why I got into hot rods in the first place. I knew I wanted to work on something but sprint cars were too expensive so I started building cars.

I thought that any of the 36-39 drums would were but I wanted to confirm. Thanks for the info!

13. We have very similar interests. I like the wide fives as well. Dirt track racing was a major influence in hot rodding in Michigan and was a deciding factor in including them with my build. If you have the 38 Deluxe caps, those are really cool as well and I too am running a set. They have the biggest "V8" logo on them out of the other designs. The Wide Fives look killer without caps too. Sometimes you can get lucky and find the truck Wide Fives. They are 5 inches wide, but are not the artillery design. They work good if your running a bigger rear tire.

wheeldog57 and Lakeside65 like this.
  14. Good parts chasing so far. Spread the word at work and with friends about the parts you're looking for. Find a picture of a car that has the style/look you're going for. Have it blown up (2x3 is a good size). Hang it on the wall of your shop. Get a plan in your head, write it down, and stick to it. This build offers about a 1000 more options than your C10 did. Easy to get lost in the vast wasteland called 'traditional'. If you find yourself thinking or saying phrases like "it'll do", or "it'll be fine", just remember, it won't be.

15. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Slow but steady progress means it is time for another update.

I haven't had any time to actually get started on the roadster but the parts pile is growing. My shop truck has been having issues that have taken all of my attention and I actually have it listed for sale at the moment. More on that in a bit. I did get to bring home the A chassis which is in fantastic shape, and this morning I came across a pile of wide five wheels within a mile of the house so I picked them up as well. I hope to start tearing the chassis down to the but there could be another distraction if my truck sells soon. 3 hints- HAMB friendly, Flathead, backseat for the baby. Hope it all works out, see ya soon.

Attached Files:

Haven Hills Auto Club and hfh like this.
  16. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Make a plan and follow a budget. Once you get enough parts try to do a little each day even if its 15 minutes. I really like building cars but don't like to spend lots of money to do it. There's lots off parts out there that can be had pretty reasonable if you have the time to wait. Mines a ramshackle roadster but kind of different. db roadster.jpg

17. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Looking good!

18. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Well my shop truck has been sold and it sure was bitter sweet. I learned a lot about what to do but definitely more about what not to do with that truck and I’m glad to have it gone. That sale has free’d up some funds for a cool family car that I’m hoping to seal the deal on this week. It will potentially be a donor for the roadster once I start updating that car eventually, and it comes with an extra flatty that I plan to use in the roadster. If all goes well, I will try do a write up on that car in a new thread next weekend, and I will make sure to post the link here. For now, here is one more hint, I just bought myself this as a Christmas gift.

Attached Files:

J.Ukrop and Papas32 like this.
  19. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

20. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Well, this thread has taken a turn and my plans/goals for this roadster have changed. I’ve decided to close this thread for good and start a new one for my roadster build. I will mention that some cash has been exchanged and now I’ve got a solid 30 roadster body to start with, and a set of ASC 32 rails and all of the goodies to start from scratch. I will make sure to post a link to the new thread here.