Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MG pre-selector transmission query

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by s.e.charles, Oct 13, 2021.

1. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

2. I see the little lever on the left is the advance retard maybe the wheel is to adjust blower pressure

3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Brake adjustment

s.e.charles likes this.
  4. Submerge.

Happydaze likes this.

5. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

how would that work? i assume mechanical brakes were out of the picture by then. would it be reducing fluid flow through the system?

and, hoping it's fair to add another question . . . is the vertical rod on the left to prevent twisting of the drive train under power? i think V8 flatheads had something like this but it was under the floorboards and not readily noticeable.

hey; if you guys can get me to understand the Amsol top oiler, this one should be a breeze!

thanks

submerge . . . you must think i'm a real Rube. . . . [​IMG]

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Steaming reply
    [​IMG]

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

THANKS for those links Mr48chev; the SFAM has a great collection i must explore and the glover ltd car has numerous details i can use (for scale modeling).

much appreciated

9. There is a chassis pic in the above link that shows that cable running possibly to the rear

s.e.charles likes this.
  10. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

hmmm. so it's for taking up cable slack?

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Since the shifting is sequential and the spring is at a radius I think it has to do with shifting. Maybe if the shifter handle is raised the trans goes down a gear when moving lever back and up a gear if lever is depressed and moved forward. Or some thing like that. Wheel adjusts spring pressure to assist driver as trans warms up/driver strength, etc.

s.e.charles likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you scroll down that second link that I posted (with the red car) there is a shot of the rolling chassis with that knob and with the cable curving around to the rear where you figure it connects to the brake linkage. 13th photo down just above the shot of the rear axle. Then scroll down and look at the rods that they have in that engine. This is down past the text under the lead photo.

s.e.charles likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

14. Looks to me like you have a real piece of history there, a factory hotrod from the '30s. I don't know what the pieces are that you are inquiring about but it would sure be fun to be there and figure it all out. To get that kind of power out of such a small engine in the "30s is remarkable. Have fun with it and let us know if you find out what all those domajiggies are for.

15. rusty valley

rusty valley

No chop's pic reminds me of my work bench. You have no idea what to do with it !

Blues4U and nochop like this.
  16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

This seems to be a Wilson/ENV 75 gearbox: very much the spiritual ancestor of the full-manual-VB automatic.
    [​IMG]
    More info here. No idea about the wheel below the lever, though.

Budget36 and s.e.charles like this.
  17. The saddest thing is all the very cheap small cars made 'you know where' running around here with that badge on them. They obviously are the current owners of the name and badge, but that is all. They are trading on the history, which is a joke, but as I say, they own the badge and can use it and the name as they like. :mad:

I assume these cheap cars are running around in other markets too. Joe public is sucked in by the name and cheap price. Somehow they have not connected the two. Or care I suppose.:rolleyes:

Ned Ludd and s.e.charles like this.
  18. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

this is most plausible to me. like cocking a "pop - gun" and waiting to pull the trigger.

funny how you run into things which were probably cutting edge technology at their onset and years later no one can figure out what the heck they were.

appreciate the responses.

19. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

OMG - you are correct! i snooped around another car link i had tucked away and lo an' behold:
    [​IMG]

MG 1934 (classiccarcatalogue.com)

thank you for your persistence - i've come 'round from the dark side, and now a believer.

20. SS327

SS327

And I thought it was a spare steering wheel for the passenger.

21. Budget36

Budget36

Studebakerjoe nailed the wheel in the 3rd post.
    Here I was thinking “what heck is this guy talking about”?

s.e.charles likes this.
  22. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

much like emails & texts, it's not a perfect means of communication.

Budget36 likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

@s.e.charles is it yours? Damned cool whether it is or isn’t and learning about it has been pretty cool.

24. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

Budget36 likes this.
  25. Truckedup

Truckedup

That is one sharp fucking car..