Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ki

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38fordpickup, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Trying to pull heads on a 305 Chevy. Couple of the bolts on each side won't break loose with electric impact wrench. Any ideas for tricks to break them loose?

2. Heat red hot then quench works for shorter bolts. Never heard of head bolts welding themselves in!!

427 sleeper and Deuces like this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

ATF/kerosene 50/50 mix works really well to penetrate and loosen things too

4. Budget36

Budget36

I know you have another thread going on this, but I’m curious of the “KI” topic and what it means?

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Heat and or a breaker bar.

6. Electric impacts are not nearly as strong as you might think. On longer bolts, the length will work against an impact and absorb the hammer blows. Use a breaker bar and cheater pipe. I know the bolts on an SBC are not really long, but on a engine with a head bolt that is 8-10” long, it will make a big difference.

7. I've never had a head bolt I couldn't break loose with a decent breaker bar. 24 inch should make it child's play.

8. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Throw away the elec. impact. Use good old muscle and a two foot breaker bar as mentioned. Stop watching TV where they use battery powered tools for everything.

427 sleeper, Deuces and alchemy like this.