Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help ID aftermarket 32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I got this frame and parts in a box as you see it. I'm wondering if there are any identifying parts that tell who the frame manufacturer might be. If you know, I would appreciate the help. He said he got it off Ebay but there were no instructions with it. If you see a part and go "yeah, XYZ is the only maker that I've seen use that certain part", then please let me know. Thanks!
    More pics coming.... 20210922_144201 (2).jpg 20211010_150612 (2).jpg 20211010_150659 (2).jpg 20211010_150705 (2).jpg

2. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that one takes "some assembly required" to the Nth degree. I'm wondering if it didn't come all broke down and he got it that far and gave up.
    The 32 frame builders will have to sort this one out.

4. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Any 32 frame builders have an idea??

5. redo32

redo32

The frame rails are stamped so that most likely makes them JW or American Stamping. There are slight differences, but it's been too long for me to remember. Speedway I think used to offer a similar center cross member kit. The larger shock mounts are for 40-48 Ford. some of the brackets might be specific that I don't recognize, the others are generic. Check this website to get an idea of what they might be. https://welderseries.ecwid.com/. My impression is most of these parts are 15 years or more older. The boxing plates are thicker and I don't recall seeing a set that was bobbed and cut for a round crossbar. Just might be a collection of small garage or backyard parts.
    edit: JW rails are notched for rear axle clearance.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Barn Hunter likes this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

For comparison, P&J
    4520-Crossmember.png

Barn Hunter likes this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

JW Rod Garage have the “C” notch at the rear...must be American Stamping?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From checking this I'd say that there is a pretty solid chance that the rails are American stamping American Stamping Corporation - Home (ascrails.com)
    I have no idea how out of date that website is though.
    The Tube crossmember setup resembles the ones RJays builds and probably several other builders.
    It looks like someone accumulated a lot of pretty good pieces with the idea that they were going to weld up their own chassis and save some money and may have decided that they were in over their head.
    It's like buying the 500 piece red puzzle and then trying to assemble it though.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  9. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bolt on shock mounts look very Pete and Jakes - indeed I think the P&J ones I had one time were actually stamped with their name. But the brackets themselves are simple and easily copied.

What we're looking at looks very much as if it's a comprehensive U weld it kit but I can't actually recall any manufacturer actually selling a complete kit of parts. Maybe some did, I don't know, or maybe it came out of the back door, Johnny Cash style?

Chris

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Barn Hunter and Budget36 like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Lay it out and see what you have to work with.
    I understand the need/want to know where it came from. But if it works out for you , it won’t matter. Kinda like “where did this SBC come from”.

56don, Barn Hunter and Bob Lowry like this.
  11. larry k

larry k

The empty rails look my old lobeck just a hobby rails ,don’t know the small parts

Barn Hunter likes this.
  12. redo32

redo32

Larry might have a point. I tried to blow up the picture, but still not clear enough. If I remember Just a Hobby rails were 3pc welded together.

How about taking a better picture of the inside of the rails.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  13. Yes.

These are definitely stamped. Not JW either, so that leaves ASR. Not 2 piece which also eliminates Shadow Rods. They look too new for old Deuce Factory.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  14. How about Speedway motors? Some of the bolt on parts look similar.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  15. @krylon32 , any ideas to help this rodder identify the source of chassis?
    Thanks.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  16. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks for the replies. The rails are 1 piece stampings. I did notice that Speedways boxing kits have the zigzag spacer, but I don't know if other manufacturers used them too. Does Speedway sell ASR? As to the one reply...I'm just trying to identify them to sell. I don't have the skills or time to build a car from the ground up. Thanks again.

Budget36 likes this.
  17. I don't know either but there was a company that sold 32 frame rail kits on ebay that says they were stamped in Canada from thicker gauge steel. Sorry, I don't recall who they were.