Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Still The Same OG...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 11, 2021.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I do enjoy a well done photo to a point,that is as much as I can,as I'm not n expret of any type doing that.
    Cuz I don't know about pic,other then to see really big mess ups. My parts of our hobbie are other things.
    So pretty much just enjoy the cars. I look mostly at what I think<to me>is right,then at what I'd not do.
    "A picture is worth a 1000 words"> but a real good one maybe 10,000.
    Awesome rod in great pics.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Close... but...

3. I love the song referenced. “Ya’ll act like I ain’t got none”

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See him in the school drop off line! Can you imagine being the kid who hops out of that thing first thing every day. You already have all the cool points your going to need! Nice roadster and great shots as well. Still nicely done with the pics! If I didn't live on the right coast I'd take you up on your photo shoot offer! Good lord knows I can't make it look great in pictures.

chryslerfan55 and High test 63 like this.
  5. KKrod

KKrod

Ryan , I can really appreciate the photos because I have spent a lot of time with my brother who lives off 290 just west a few miles off 290 from Rex Rods. The sunsets and the massive long range views are some of the best views in Texas in my opinion. The perfect location for photographing Keith's deuce roadster. p.s. I so like the Rex Rods Texas chrome lettering on the back deck panel. Something to set his roadster apart though it is hard not to recognize Keith's roadster once it has been seen in person.

Did you shoot digital or film. Thanks. Karl. If film what kind of color film do you use. I am an old photographer used to Canon f1 camera gear and would like to dust it off and enjoy shooting some film.

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Just saw this thread this morning. Really nice shots Ryan. I've often heard about "the golden hour" for photography, and I see how great the shots can be, but it's always presents a struggle for me at a show or cruise in when the low angle of the sun causes so much glare.

7. @Ryan was that at me? LOL

I know where it's from. ;) I've seen it both ways...
    "Ya'll know me still the same ol' G
    But I been low key"

chryslerfan55 and 57 Fargo like this.
  8. “Whatcha’ think I sold them all”
    I’m kinda having fun with this….my quotes may not be 100% accurate, going off memory but thanks to @Ryan I’ve had the song stuck in my head since yesterday.:)

chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  9. “I’ve been in the studio with a pen and a pad”

also a fitting quote for the boss man here!

( ok I’m done now)…..

Ryan and Sancho like this.
  10. billyt

billyt

Picture #9, the straight on front does it for me. Saw the roadster at West Henley and the Deuce Reunion last month. Great car and great pictures.

11. mgermca

mgermca

Great shots, not bad for your age Ryan. LOL

41 GMC K-18 and Ryan like this.
  12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Give yourself some credit, man! Good stuff!

13. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Some nice shots in there. You use a Polaroid filter for that time of day?
    Love the second to last shot (wide angle front ¾). Love the contrast from the base of the trees to the line of the roof, the tree-line mirrors the hood to windshield and the clouds balance the weight of the back of the car against the negative space in the bottom left.
    (Also love the low down silhouette of the front of the car- did you take one that includes the other wheel?)

Agreed with you though. I've taken pictures, very carefully composed which turned out terrible. I've also taken snapshots that capture exactly what made me want to take the photo in the first place. It's that first glance that draws the critical look which comes with that tilt of the shoulders that you've managed to grab onto film there. Gotta have that "eye", I think- to see fully what causes others to glance at.

Phil

14. raaf

raaf

Oxblood is probably my favorite color and you've captured it nicely here - so rich. Love the depth of field on the turned dash photo. Thanks for sharing, and please share more.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  15. TERPU

TERPU

The Car is Bitchin' the shots of it are solid and capture the greatness that it is. But honestly your Camera work captured more than the Car. I know, I know it's the focus of our very existence and what makes most of us tick. I'm no different most of the time.

However your pictures made me smell the Hill country I left so long ago, feel the evening Texas Hill Country Air, and immediately Jerry Jeff hit my Skull. Oh, that Hill Country never leaves me, even though I swore it off to be back to another place. Might just be time for a visit................

Thank you Ryan it was good for me

- Tim

16. agshelby

agshelby

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 3.54.23 PM.png Great shots and a beautiful, well-built car. It looks great in my driveway, too :)

17. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a bit of grist for @Ryan, mill to grind on, and its purely of a historical nature, in regards to true high definition film photography, as defined by the original members of " Group f.64 "

Those members were, Ansel Adams, Imogen Cunningham, Edward Weston, Willard Van Dyke, Henry Swift, John Paul Edwards, Brett Weston, Consuelo Kanaga, Alma Lavenson, Sonya Noskowiak, Preston Holder.

Now not all of those names, will be familiar to any kids under 25 years of age and to a certain extent, a mystery to a lot of us fellow geezers here on the H.A.M.B.

But that being said, since Ryan is into the world of film cameras and the mechanical aspects of the old school photography, film, black and white film, good lenses, all of that marvelous world, that we as photographers were deeply into, consider this, in this day and age.

I have spent thousands of dollars on great camera gear, and thousands of dollars on film, film processing, slides, film projectors, projector bulbs, tripods, you name it the list is long.

A few years back, I stepped up to the plate and invested in a Nikon D-600 body and a Nikon
    28 MM/300MM AF lens.

I then put away my film cameras and they are resting nicely on a shelf, in a back room. I had saved up money, expressly to get this new Nikon, and it takes great pictures while its a heavy beast to carry around, it does a great job.

I have to commiserate with Ryan about being frustrated, with how easy it is, to simply pull out the latest version of the smart phones and take a great shot that is instantly visible and instantly transmitted to the cloud or to what ever format is desired !

I have thousands of pictures on my smartphone, and I only take the Nikon out with me if I am going to an event such as aviation or old classic boats, or classic cars, etc, etc.

I would imagine that if the members of the original " Group f.64 " were alive today, and had the ability to use a smartphone, to take a test shot, or just a random shot, that they would embrace it, and take advantage of its ease and possibly be reluctant to drag out all of the old heavy equipment to get the same shot !

Just a reminder, Henri Cartier -Bresson used a Leica Rangefinder camera, back in the day, to take his famous black and white photograph, of the pyramids of Egypt.

While the quality of the equipment, and the ground glass, is important, millions of great pictures were snapped on ancient, Kodak Box Brownies, decades ago, that are proof that anybody, could capture a great moment in time, ( maybe a bit blurry ) with just a point and shoot camera !

Your results may vary.

On Netflix, there is a great film, from 2017 titled " KODACHROME " Check it out, I think everybody here will enjoy it, especially the philosophy of " Ed Harris ", the main character.

Enjoy, from Dennis.

IMG_2863 (2).jpg

63fdsnr, chryslerfan55 and Ryan like this.
  18. You’re not dumb @Ryan , you’re overworked and underpaid.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.