Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Bobber Trucks. Are They HAMB Rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Oct 9, 2021.

1. I think we’re up to 3 post 34 trucks.
    That should put us over the more than “one or two examples” threshold.

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the 39 Chev Coupe aka Highboy with the Highboy Pickup in the background...

41 GMC K-18 and anthony myrick like this.
  3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The newer ones remind me, of Buddy Garner’s “Flop” ; with a bed…

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

anthony myrick and Stogy like this.
  5. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Agreed Adam. Great point on the specific years. T's, A's, 32-34 pickups have always been a part of the HAMBery. That should not be part of the discussion, nor are they considered "bobbers".
    The later (bigger) bodies were rarely used for Hot Rod purposes until recently. Probably out of necessity. The styling and parts lists on the well-built rides is consistent with the HAMB vision but I believe it to be a modern interpretation of traditional hot rodding. I like well-done examples of damned-near anything but as cool as some of these bobbers are I struggle to identify them as traditional (HAMB).

Cymro, lurker mick, bowie and 3 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They were an animated part of the events that's for sure...the Ladies of Trog come to mind...at least they have sand to land on...that pavement might have haunted the later years through their joints...:oops:

7. I never use the word traditional when talking out H.A.M.B. friendly cars. I call them period correct!

As I said the last time you pontificated, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong or needs to be changed!

For me this isn't about tradition, it's about period correctness, respecting and preserving history, that means the good, the bad and the ugly!

Jessie J., Stogy, primed34 and 4 others like this.
  8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Isn't this a "RAT" rod?
    Rat Rod 1.jpg

And isn't this a "Bobber" ?
    Roth Bobber.jpg

I think the problem is just that we didn't call them that back in "the day".:p

9. It’s a kit car cause it doesn’t have factory stamped sheet metal.
    (This comment was typed in sarcasm)

10. Ak Miller built that car described. He was a great hot rodder but my lawdy that car was fugly! Thankfully trends did not follow him.

[​IMG]

11. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s hideous! But it’s old school experimental, and that’s cool, and on topic… if it turned up today it’d be best left just like it is. JMO.

12. Jones St.

Jones St.

Off topic/derail's are another trend when something is not to your liking's.

13. Budget36

Budget36

Just my opinion and speaking of Ford trucks, after ‘34 Cabs don’t look good without hood sides. ‘34 and earlier cowls don’t have anything that needs to be covered up.
    ‘35 up to ‘37/9? Can go fenderless with hood sides just fine. When Ford went to the one piece hood makes it more of a challenge to look right.
    A ‘40 Ford PU cab without fenders and just a hood, looks out of place in my mind, unless something is done/covered up, on the cowl area.
    As far as “were they” etc, no idea, I was born in ‘61.

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

15. Jones St.

Jones St.

1fcddb00e1ca62e3c2cb938d2edac03f.jpg This in a deep '50's plum color. Chrome the wheel$. Swap an early anything other than sbc V-8. Further refinement is up to personal choices & just how much you adhere to the past. And peer pressure & to where you want it to be accepted. Web sites. Car events. 1fcddb00e1ca62e3c2cb938d2edac03f.jpg

Okie Pete, Jessie J., AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  16. Perfect example of HOW NOT TO DO IT. Proportions are all off. Looks like something outta OSR from 03

17. twenty8

twenty8

pidgeonholing
    verb
    assigning to a particular category, typically an overly restrictive one.

The trouble with 'pidgeonholing' is that not everything fits nicely, and there is a very real danger of getting your mind trapped in one.....:eek:

18. Jones St.

Jones St.

Missed the mark, Trent. The text has the details 'build to suit'. Your never going to win.

19. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I always figured that the term, "bobber truck" was for those vehicles based upon a early truck cab with no bed. Kind of like a T-Bucket without the pick up bed or anything else.

20. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Like this? '47 Chief

47bob3.jpg

Check out the huge Accel Super Coil lol

47bob1.jpg

22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Bobber x.jpg

Personally I like it, but everyone has different tastes. If you look at it from the cab forward it looks just like thousands of other street rods. It just has a bed instead of a trunk. As I have gotten older, I have found that I prefer driving a pick up to driving a car. I probably would build one that had fenders, but I have to admit that this would make a great daily driver in good weather. 5 minutes to wash it off and then go enjoy driving it. Its light enough it ought to be reasonably fast. What would be more fun than passing a Lexus on the expressway in something like this? And it never depreciates............
    Garlits 1.jpg
    Not a lot of great proportions here either. These are a couple of Don Garlits first cars. I'm just happy to see people use their skills and apply them to older vehicles. Whether I or anyone else personally likes the finished vehicle is really irrelevant.
    Garlits 2.jpg
    They weren't all pretty in the fifties.........:)

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

The Indian here is a good example, a bike stripped down and with engine work to increase performance..Sound familar? Original term circa WW2 was Bob Job , bobber became popular with the custom bike guys a few years back.

302GMC and Stogy like this.
  24. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Anyone that grew up in the 50s knows that a Bobber Truck is exactly what the non rich folks built all the time.
    Dumb question IMO

25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to get off topic but, I remember a gal in high school we used to call " The Bobber ";)

26. Jones St.

Jones St.

This is much further ahead of the game by already having a front clip that flows w/the shape of the cab. A box to do likewise makes the challenge far greater. The earlier 'square' shapes of the '20's cabs is far easier to achieve proportions and or symmetry. 242493389_4969382796410530_5088960165924915233_n.jpg

EVL401, Okie Pete and alanp561 like this.
  27. A Willys Gasser has nothing to do with what the OP is asking.

X38 likes this.
  28. Jones St.

Jones St.

Like pancake & critters right? Give it up. 1940-chevy-pickup-hot-street-rat-rod-truck-5.jpg

echo ed, Okie Pete, Cymro and 3 others like this.