Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Truth in advertising

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WiredSpider, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Some of the folks that have them for sale have just bought them on a wild hair. Don’t know anything about the car. They may not know if it’s real, glass are repo.

XXL__ likes this.
  2. That's why we ask questions. HRP

Flathead Dave and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Went to look at a Model A Coupe years ago. Seller must've said "all steel" a half dozen times. Right away we notice the front fenders are not steel but fiberglass repops. "Oh yeah, the front fenders and running boards are fiberglass, I forgot"... then he jumped the price 2k more than we talked about.. Some folks just are unscrupulous characters, others are just clueless. Any car I look at is a "buyer beware" situation regardless of what comes out of the sellers mouth. I've had a guy tell me he owned a car I bought for 50 some years, then I see the title history afterwards and that was impossible. At the end of the day it didn't matter to me, It was a good buy and I still have the car.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Two contradictory ways to go here...
    1. If it's not stated as a Brookville all you have to do is ask.
    2. If it's a Brookville, the ad will almost always say so.

But, no. The seller doesn't have to disclose that it's a Brookville in the ad.
    Because of the quality(?) and the name Brookville, I would think that someone would be almost proud to say that it's a Brookville piece.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  5. 2Blue2

2Blue2

My buddy the car salesman says "There is an ass for every seat" so buyer beware.
    With much study here on Hamb though, I think you'll do OK.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Moroso was vending at a swap meet I went to a few years back. There was a pile of aluminum water pump pulleys on the table. Bought one and took a catalog. As I walked away he was talking to another customer and mumbling about where did his catalog go; I thought I hope he brought more than one? Turns out the pulley I bought had the center hole and the bolt holes off center by almost 1/8" :mad:. Should I have asked if the pulleys were good?:confused: Maybe I did steal his only catalog.o_O

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  7. Budget36

Budget36

If it’s advertised as a Ford, the body should be Ford.
    Just my thoughts.

Kinda reminds me of the thread a month or two back. “If you change the handle and the the head on your G-pas hammer, is it still his hammer”?

WiredSpider and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

My Wife surprised me with a 1950 F1 in 2006 for my birthday (I was born in '50). I had seen the ad and it was $7000 OBO. When she went to look at it, the seller knew he had a live one and said the price was firm. The seller also said there was no bondo or fiberglass on the truck. Well, there was bondo in many places and the fenders and front pieces were fiberglass. Straight away I had to replace all the leaf springs and both water pumps, along with correcting a lot of the wiring. Immediately made it into "Tow Mater" from the CARS Movie. It now has 302, AOD trans and front disc brakes. I have to admit that I have had a lot of fun with it. But, I did tell my Wife to include me in future surprises. Lol. At the time, I had been watching a '32 5 window with flathead on ebay. The coupe went for only $15k. Ron

9. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

"Ran when parked"

Any early Ford ad proclaiming "all steel" is an instant red flag, as that should be a given. Don't know of anything Henry built that was anything but. That said, the seller should mention such info in the ad, but at the end of the day it's the seller's responsibility to triple check such info.

10. alchemy

alchemy

The roadster in question is not original Ford bodied. It’s missing the side curtain rod holes, no tack strip notches in the rear surround, the door handle screws are horizontal instead of vertical, and the belt line beads have soft edges. Who would do all these changes to an original body and then try to fake patina it to look original?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021