Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Truth in advertising

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WiredSpider, Oct 11, 2021.

1. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I don,t want to start a Shitstorm with this question.
    Do you think someone with a brookville reproduction body should state that in their ad?
    I,ve seen some 32s advertised lately and the copy in the ad is vague and left up to interpretation
    I don,t know if it is a deliberate act or not
    Your opinion?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Advertising is a tool to make you believe you need this. So depending how bad one needs one varies.
    [​IMG]

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

Well the saying is buyer beware. I don’t agree with it. If you have a plastic car tell people it is. Let’s face it there are a lot of them out there and some very nice.

4. It should be one of the first questions you ask if buying it. Sometimes people don't ask the right questions, and buy it, regretting it later. Bad luck.

Flathead Dave, catdad49 and Stogy like this.

5. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

6. I couldn’t advertise one without it being clearly stated in the ad.
    But some people that buy cars don’t really know any difference. I know a guy that bought a glass 32 roadster. Had no clue it was glass or whatever. Didn’t even know what a 350 Chevy was. Just bought it cause he liked it.

VANDENPLAS, Tman, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  7. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I remember a 32 Roadster in LA that the owner sold as a glass car and it was steel

catdad49, anthony myrick and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Depends how they get their title

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it could be on an Original Frame with Title I suppose but aren't there telltale signs even on the bodies...

Many like @Flop were always pointing out modern flaws in the Brookville Stampings matter of factly despite being admirable copies...

Truth be told if this was a reproduction it may well still garner similar Denaros...I like it...but it should be answered if asked by the buyer...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

There are obvious differences like the body lines not being as crisp and the lack of the recesses in the 1/4s for the tack strip.
    There are others as well

19Eddy30, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  12. Well the firewall has the correct crack. The rest would need a closer inspection
    14182F26-D560-44B1-831D-180A8325C4CF.jpeg

wicarnut and Stogy like this.
  13. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

If you know 32 roadsters its easy to spot a Brookville body.

19Eddy30 and Stogy like this.
  14. Yes, it should be disclosed!!!
    Unfortunately, not all sellers (here and elsewhere) can be trusted to be truthful about their wares, and that pisses me off big-time! We've all seen the 'barn find' ads, 'second owner' (of a '29 Model A , yeah, right) and others that we KNOW are BS, but the uninformed or uneducated don't recognize. Same with the ads that state 'clear title', but fail to mention that it hasn't been transferred through the last three sales, so titling it will still be a pain is the ass! Those kind of sellers think they're pretty crafty, and that you should conduct business on a 'buyer be ware' basis, but I don't agree.
    I don't understand how some people sleep at night!

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

is that remaining bolt backed out ready to bounce down the road or an illusion...

Brookville or OEM this is a pretty cool Car...​

anthony myrick likes this.
  16. I think that’s the one for adjusting the door gap

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotcha there is a bracket an inch higher with the bolt through and pulling the cowl down

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You would think Brookville would be in the header…..

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is in Utah, why does it have California registration?

19Eddy30 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. What's the difference? Real steel with 95% Chinese patch panels? All new steel? Well built glass? There's more 32,33,34 Fords out there floating around than Henry ever produced. If the buyer is looking for a true/real/unmolested 32,33,34 Ford he damn well better do his homework before he starts looking. It's not the sellers job to teach. Just ask the right questions. Might save a lot of whining after the purchase. That's what 'big boy' pants are for. Put 'em on and do the homework.

da34guy and wicarnut like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Sounds like you're OK with a seller being deceptive!!!

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO seller should Always should honest/truthful with what he is selling, anything/everything. Real steel is/was Henry Ford produced, Brookville and RodBod are 2 repops I know of, nice bodies. Life's experiences have taught me that sellers are not always honest, "Buyer Beware" is a fact of life that applies to any/all purchases made.

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I take it your referring to the Plates? I didn't recall it mentioned...Some States allow out of state YOM?

Are those plates for the moment? To fulfill an illusion of?

This is a New Hamber and that many times puts up flags of caution...He is 76 so this could be a thinning of the Herd a time in life that stings a little...

It would be nice to know the story...certainly an early example of a Deuce with some Gow Ambience in the wear alone even if inspired

25. catdad49

catdad49

If there’s a doubt in Your mind,ask the question. If they get pissed, you have your answer.

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  26. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I don't see why a seller would omit that. I tell people everything I know about the things I sell. I don't ever want to jag somebody off by not telling the truth.. Selling and buying things is really a wonderful thing so long as both sides are getting close to what they want.. Then there's the Carma thing.

'28phonebooth, Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  27. Not really. Just reside in the real world. Took my rose colored glasses off in my early teens. I've always looked at it like this. The seller has just the one thing that he wants to sell (in this case a hotrod), and me, the buyer, while wanting a hotrod still have options available elsewhere. So I approach the transaction with a bit of skepticism. Asking the right questions, and doing the homework will usually result in a favorable outcome on my part. If the seller is honest, we both win. If he's not, I walk, and only one of us wins. Bottom line: if you don't want to get fucked in a deal, put the effort in so you won't. It's usually cheaper than whining about it afterwards.

XXL__, Budget36, WalkerMD and 2 others like this.
  28. What ever it is, Brockville body , fibre glass , new frame , old frame 95 % repro parts WHATEVER IT IS

it should be disclosed

There is a 41 willys for sale up here it’s a steel repro body on a new frame absolutely killer car

sold with original tags and ownership, but a repro body .

say what you will the guy may have bought “ historical papers “ or maybe he started with a rotted body snd frame snd after the resto it is what it is. But at least he’s being honest.

yes buyer beware , but the seller needs to be honest as well.

'28phonebooth and WiredSpider like this.
  29. redo32

redo32

Pretty sure it's a Brookville body. Owner brags about original running boards, glass and other accessories but only states all steel. That's a tip off. If it was an original Henry body you know he would be bragging and the price would be 20K more. I agree the beltline stamping is not as crisp and the slight flair over the 1/4 panel fender bead is not as pronounced as a real Henry.

Happydaze likes this.
  30. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

In car ads, it's never about what they are saying, it's always about what they are NOT saying. If it's the real
    deal, who wouldn't want to let everyone know...?

Happydaze and Just Gary like this.