Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Still The Same OG...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Still The Same OG...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh... and hey fellas... Super serious about doing more shooting. If you are in Austin, want your car shot, and don't mind dealing with my dumb ass - please holler at me!

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You did better than many. The number of attempts at golden hour photography I see on the Internet where the results are full of glare (didn't wait long enough) or lack enough light to see detail (waited to long) is staggering. That's a handsome car and it looks so in your shots.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. OG is original goofball right?

Sancho, Tman and Ryan like this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Funny story... This shot was taken with a Leica 21-SEM:

[​IMG]

This lens is pretty well known as the best wide angle ever made optically. The German designer said this: "The worst photographer in the world couldn't make this glass flair."

I sure showed him!

6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ghost of Carl Zeiss is impressed !

Carl Zeiss.jpg

7. As you average picture looker, non-photographer type, they look pretty daggum good!

8. Don't sell yourself short, there is no doubt It's difficult to take a bad photograph of a Beautiful area and a outstanding traditional car, But from a guy that has tried to learn just the basics of what it takes to capture the right moment in time to snap the shutter. lets just say I have wasted a lot of film over the years.

As for me your work is on par with or better than most. HRP

9. Such a badass hot rod. Nice shots too!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Lone film shot... Apparently, I only had one shot left on the roll...

film.jpg

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bitchin' Shots.

Sometimes it's best to not overthink it.
    Just walk around it and take different angle shots.
    The light angle or reflection will find it's way to a keeper pic or delete.

12. NoSurf

NoSurf

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It would be cool to compare and see if photos taken by HAMBERs could be as good as those shown.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I can't tell you how often I see a photo taken by some dude with an iPhone that makes me want to throw away all my gear and never take another photo... It's often.

At the end of the day though, I am a camera guy... not a photographer... I just love mechanical cameras and lenses and the history of them and...

My three main vices:

1. Old cars.
    2. Old cameras.
    3. Old watches.

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-10-11_9-1-28.png

Hello Ryan,

Those are some great shots digital or otherwise. Since it took two days to process the photos, I assume it was with a 35mm film camera. In any rate, the first one was the cover shot, if there was any question. One minor touch up and it was perfect. Great color, background and contrast for an excellent shot.

The other photos were requisite detail shots that could be manipulated to fit a feature photo story. The ¾ angle, the low rear shot, the engine details, etc. they were all good shots. There were some minute details that at first glance takes your eye off of the details, just because of the quality of the overall photo and exposure.

Jnaki

These set up photos and the whole story are what makes photojournalism so much fun. It looks like you had a great day and once you have developed the “eye,” it is hard to lose. This, from an old photo guy that still likes a good photo or two.

The final shot for closure, as a story would need, is this perfect ending to a great photo shooting day.
    upload_2021-10-11_9-5-24.png
    At the locations and photo shoots, it does help to know areas for great photo shoots with the minimal background interference. Patience for the right light, no people, no trees or poles sticking out of the hot rod, all play a part of making a great shot. Sometimes, it helped to pre select the area for the hot rod that works well. An old time hot rod on the road is in its elements… yea!

16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my college Art Professors, while critiquing one of my drawings, said something that has stayed with me for my entire illustration career.

"Art is a struggle with your imagination to create. Great art happens when the viewer can't see that struggle, and can only see the art."

17. I think they are great shots. My kid took a 4-h club on photography and caught a heron catching a fish and a full reflection in the water that the bird was standing in. Just the same as with you the people that he shared the photo with were more impressed than he was. Thanks for sharing.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks Ryan, great shots.
    By the way, when it comes to shooting deuce roadsters, there is no such thing as bad light!

chryslerfan55 and Roger Loupias like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I was taught long ago the key to great photography is take hundreds of shots and toss the bad ones before your friends see them. @HEMI32

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is some nice work in my book. I take a ton of sunset shots and catching that just right light is a challenge.

I love the way Keith put that car back together, on every full car shot from every angle your eye sees the total car first and not one component stands out and dominates the photo. No doubt the original version was pretty classy too but this is how it is done right. Not one part commands the photos. Not one damned part stuck on it because "the cool guys all have them" either.

chryslerfan55, Just Gary and 36 ROKIT like this.
  21. That's not exactly the advice my dad (or I) gave you! :rolleyes: :D

My father never shot digital ... only film ... and it would have been cost prohibitive for him to take "hundreds of shots" ... he (or I) might have told you to "bracket" a shot (i.e., 3 identical shots with different aperture and/or shutter settings) when you're unsure of the lighting.

We most definitely told you to never show the "bad ones" to anyone! :eek: :D

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Did good - Thanks for sharing - repetition of the process will get you to your goal - Hawaiian background would enhance the shot too

23. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Driftwood TX, I use to live near were you took those shots and yes they are nice. As was stated you never show the bad shots and as you take more the volume will come down as you do not want to expend that much film each time unless it is a great session. Enjoy the equipment I use manual lenses on digital cameras as it tends to slow me down an remind me of the film days

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  24. outstanding photos of a fine hotrod. well done

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like any pursuit there's a case of "gotta have its" and pictures are no different. When I can I want the subject car in a frame that would have been the designer's paper at one time. How did he draw that thing and what was he pushing for. To that end I try to get my excess hgt down a little. Frame the subject as if the designer's idea became organic, real. Maybe the thing is in a parking lot with an angle. Tip the frame so it levels. To just stand and shoot leaves ya flat. Sometimes you have to if you're stumbling through an event and you just need a quick memory or reminder. Indoor shows don't offer a lot of opportunity either. You're at the mercy of the surroundings and display if there is one. My cousin was a pic shooter for Time and Life magazines back in the 60s and 70s. You and he would have had some great convo.

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Really looking forward to seeing new stuff from you. Shots look good, you can kinda feel you getting your balance back as they go.

roadster is rad, it’s got a few little things that make it super easy to spot in a crowd or scrolling threw photos. I’m into it :)

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. I always thought it was "still the same ol' G"

Nice shots, you still got it! Maybe some day I'll have something worthy of you shooting!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

always the critic. :cool:... "take lot's of shots and toss the bad ones before you show them to people" was as close to exactly what he said as I can recall after 30 years. then he proceeded to pull some bad examples from the pile and said "like this one, and this one" and set them down separate from the others. good job in ignoring the basic story and zeroing in on nothing. I have since turned that advice into "hundreds of shots" and even with film I took multiples, just not hundreds.

I have passed 30,000 clicks on my Cannon and have never had any photo advice from you, not sure why you would act as though I did, or that I would need it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Guy Patterson like this.
  29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Nowadays evabody wanna talk like they got sumpin ta say, but nuthin comes out when they move their lips, just a buncha jibberish, the muthafuckas ain't on TJJ"

I wonder how many will get it?:cool:

30. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TJJ = The Jungle Juice
    But I could be wrong !