Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with throttle linkage/return spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikko_, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I'm having some issues with the throttle not returning to idle on my '53 Customline.
    As you can see in one of the pictures the spring is binding against the heater hose and I have a hard time believing this is the factory setup but can't really find out where it is supposed to be.

Any help is appreciated: pictures of factory correct cars or clever ideas.

thumbnail_IMG_0721.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0720.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0719.jpg

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How about some lube on all the pivot points?

winduptoy and Pete Eastwood like this.
  3. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Seems to be moving freely but I'll do that too.

But the spring is still binding against the hose...

4. squirrel

squirrel

from the internets

53.jpg

reagen, Tim and winduptoy like this.

5. Assuming in your first picture that the throttle is closed, you've got way too long of a spring with too much pre-load on it. The routing is also costing you some mechanical advantage. Not to mention that it will eventually wear through your heater hose.

Try to duplicate the layout in the picture Squirrel posted. And if you can figure out a way, you might consider running a dual spring like later model carbureted cars do.

6. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Great picture, thanks.

I guess the little tab the spring is connected to broke sometime during the years and a previous owner replaced it with that long one I currently have.
    I'll have to try and figure out a substitute.

7. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Two return springs is standard on a safe set up.

Cosmo49, Blue One and 51 mercules like this.
  8. TA DAD likes this.
  9. The one in Squirrels picture looks good, or you could adapt the heater outlet with a couple of pipe thread locknuts and a tab similar to the one on the orange engine.

10. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but maybe try to route the spring inboard of the heater hose. Or maybe even inboard of the rod connected to the carb . . ?

Add a bracket for the spring to a couple of the carb mounting studs or under one of the intake manifold bolts about mid-engine or toward the rear a bit. Get a shorter spring (or two) and try to keep the spring tension lower when at idle position. The heavier the spring, the more wear it will put on the throttle shaft and the bores in the throttle body as well.
    :rolleyes:

Make sure there is no interference with the spring and any hoses, pipes, tubes, air cleaner, wires or the throttle linkage itself!
    :eek:

Mikko_ likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

If you look at the pictures of the two setups, you'll see that the one that doesn't work, had the spring mostly in line with the throttle arm, while the one that does work, has the spring at a right angle to the throttle arm. The front end of the spring needs to be mounted down low. The heater hose isn't the problem...the location of the front end of the spring is the problem.

Make a tab to go under a head bolt, to attach a shorter spring to. Make sure the spring has the correct tension, over it's full travel. There is a large selection of springs at my local Ace Hardware, maybe try yours?

12. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Thanks guys.

Getting a shorter spring is no problem, and not making a tab to go under a head bolt either.
    But I am a bit afraid of trying to remove a head bolt and breaking it so if possible I would like to find an other option that works for now.

13. squirrel

squirrel

hook the spring on a spark plug.....

:)

(if you do it right next to the metal casing of the plug, it shouldn't cause any problems)

ottoman likes this.
  14. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I took @squirrel 's idea and hooked a dual return spring to a spark plug.
    Not pretty but works for now, I'll just keep the hood closed so no one can see it :rolleyes:

Also thinking about adding a Stromberg part # 9167K to the throttle shaft, I think it might reduce wear on the shaft having a spring on the other side of the carb too.

IMG_3423-2048x2048.jpg

15. I would make an "L" bracket under a intake bolt and then get the right length/strength spring if you don't want to mess with a head bolt. Also lube up the pivot points on the linkage...can't hurt.

Mikko_ likes this.
  16. I think the spark plug idea was a gag....at least I hope so. If you all of a sudden have a V7 flathead, you will know which cylinder is not firing.

17. squirrel

squirrel

no, it wasn't a gag....just an easy solution, although not the best.

18. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Winter is coming here so I have time to figure out somekind of a bracket idea.
    I think that messing with one of the head bolts could lead to a real headache if it breaks.

I did it just as an temporary fix so I could try out my new carb on the street before winter.

19. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Wasn't the factory setup attached to the carb choke bracket?

s-l1600 (4).jpg Accel Linkage.JPG

20. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I ended up making a bracket that attaches under one of the intake bolts, along with a Stromberg #9167K.

thumbnail_IMG_0933.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0934.jpg