Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 27 rpu trade ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood remover, Oct 11, 2021.

1. A friend wants to trade his 28 Tudor model A plus cash for my v8 60hp 27 roadster pu .
    40 ford driveline in the t .
    Model A is a running and driving car .
    I have been entertaining selling the T and looking for a closed car although a 35-36 coupe would be more of what I would really want .Tough to find in Ontario .
    I love the T but am constantly worried of tearing the top off at high speeds 50 mph LOL.I have a rebuilt flathead 1937 and a 1946 , and transmissions , juice brakes for the model A if I choose to go that route .What to do ??? what to do ??? IMG_1798.jpg IMG_1797.jpg 20161006_133546.jpg 20181008_112540.jpg 20181008_112553.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

Both great vehicles.

You are looking for something different..........the Tudor is a very good option. It appears to be in nice shape. They make excellent Hot Rods. Are you wanting to put the time and expense into it or do you just want a finished to drive Rod.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Nice A! Nice T! Good question and only you can answer it!

Chicster likes this.
  4. My gut tells me the T

but the pick up is damn sexy!!

toss a coin , or toss a couple shots of scotch , whichever car you wake up in or next to is the one you pick !!

tough call, both killer

The T is calling me for some reason ,…….. but damn that pick up

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Tough call for sure!

6. Hey Vandenplas
    The roadster pu is the T , Tudor is the A

Hollywood-East likes this.
  7. Model A is very clean , don't mind doing the swaps if that is what I choose , between the rebuilt 37 flathead and trans mission , I doubt I would even get my hands dirty !!!

8. Do it! Closed cars make for more weather related driving opportunities.

wood remover likes this.
  9. Go with your gut, the T is sweet but there is glass in the doors so you would be warmer & drier in Canada. HRP

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    wood remover likes this.
  10. That is where I am leaning also ,make for a longer driving season . Going to look at it this week .

11. I would trade the rpu for a decent 35 36 coupe project as well !!! Just putting it out there !!!

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like you want a 35 36 coupe. Would you be happy settling for a A?

13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the real question. Judging by your profile, you have quite a fleet of cars...so why "settle" for the Model A when you really want a '35/'36?

wood remover, Budget36 and Blue One like this.
  14. 35 - 36 ford coupes are hard to come by here , especially projects , been looking a long time !!
    The model a gives me what I want for now as well . Closed car, capable of high way speeds ,without worrying about the top . I bought the complete running gear a few years back from a guy converting his a to a 350 chev .
    46 flathead , 3 speed trans , model a rear axle with 40 juice brakes , 39 front axle with 40 juice , headers , radiator , complete exhaust out the back , so it is all sitting here looking for a home . 28 tudor !!!

15. Gofannon

Gofannon

How good of a friend is he? Work out a deal where you swap them around so you each get to drive both. Win/win.

wood remover likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

I may have missed it, but what does the A have in it that’s more highway friendly than your RPU?
    I like the RPU, myself. If the A was a coupe I’d probably think differently.
    You did ask though;)

wood remover likes this.
  17. redo32

redo32

You get the flathead running gear in the A and your buddy is going to want it back. With all the running gear ready to go I'd say it's a done deal.

wood remover likes this.
  18. Budget 36 , it is original 4 cyl , but would change to 85 hp flathead

19. Great looking car HRP , now if he was up for a trade !!

20. Not a second's thought....Living in Canada I'd have to go with that sweet sedan..

wood remover likes this.
  21. -Brent-

-Brent-

You'll love the space in the "new" car, for sure.

wood remover likes this.
  22. You haven't made that deal yet? If it was me, it would have taken all of 3 secs....

wood remover likes this.
  23. I am going to look at the tudor this week, he cant make it out to my place till the end of the month . He is a good friend , for 30 years now .

-Brent- likes this.
  24. He actually passed the safety on the car for me years ago , still does my safeties actually going to see him this week to get my 1919 model t touring safetied .
    Big changes coming to issuing Ontario safeties in the new year . If your an Ontario resident I would get them done now !!!!

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Wow, two nice looking old cars. Both look like they would not need much if a modification was going to be in the future. I am not sure how tall or “big” you are, but the Model A sedan certainly would give you both more flexibility, whether you are in Canada or So Cal.

My brother and I were what we thought were normal size teenagers. Our metabolism was pure teenagers with a ton of food on the intake and somehow, it just went away with the activity we did at the time. But, when we were in the market for a hot rod coupe, it was a Model A coupe that we found and got it running. We did notice one thing, when both of us were in the Model A coupe driving around, it was a little cramped. At the time, I was 5’10” and my brother 5’8” but, we were normal as far as the standard measurement charts were concerned.

Inside of the coupe, we took up a lot of space. Later, we wanted an RPU, but the compartment was smaller for both of us. There was no way we would both fit comfortably. Now, I was almost 6 feet and my brother was still 5’8” in size. It was fun in the RPU, a ton of open space for carrying things in the back, but for us, it just felt a bit cramped.

So, for a reason I eventually knew, the Model A coupe disappeared and a shiny new 58 Impala was now my brother’s cruising hot rod sedan. It was that way for the next several years. When the time came for the next level of participation, my brother still wanted the RPU, but settled on a 1940 Willys Coupe build for the Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes.

Jnaki
    upload_2021-10-12_4-50-37.png
    We had to move the two bucket seats as far back as possible to give us the necessary room to be comfortable sitting and driving. When the Willys Coupe had the SBC modifications, we went for a brother’s cruise around the neighborhood and teenage cruising grounds. It was still cramped, but not for the reason of small in size.

We had put in a Moon Aluminum Gas Tank and Pump in front of the passenger seat. It gave the driver the last minute pump for extra fuel pressure into the carbs. But, it made for a cramped footwell area for the passenger on the street cruises.
    upload_2021-10-12_4-51-24.png
    After we were finished with the Gas Coupe and Sedan Class racing, we talked about making a custom RPU, but extending the cab for more comfort. It was going to be a cool hot rod project and good for our little speed shop business.

For a couple of reasons, desert motorcycle racing and surf adventures took over with a bang. We were hooked. The hot rod projects came to a halt while we let life continue on with the decisions we made.

It is always your choice, but think about your projects and what they will offer in the long run. The RPU is a two person hot rod. The sedan is a family or significant other plus, form of a cool hot rod. YRMV

SOHC427 and wood remover like this.
  26. Having 3 model t's ,all open cars ,I also thought it would be good to have a closed car .
    I have everything to convert to a flathead v8 , including another chassis if I wanted to use a more modern v8 ,but using the flathead stuff would be my quickest easiest option . 20141116_162718.jpg

Lil'Alb likes this.