Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 28, 2021.

1. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did not run mufflers on my '52 Chevy Sedan. It had headers, 2" Lake Pipes, and a mild SBC. I was not bothered by the law, although, it was not overly noticeable.

344127-1322539577-b7c562e4ad712d16a7f30498678be269.jpg

2. I agree... it’s kind of like sex, if it hurts it’s probably not pleasurable. Unless of course your a masochist. ;)

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Beautiful Chevy!

verno30 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  4. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you!

5. 500caddy

500caddy

Straight pipes on my gasser with 500 caddy and on c30 with 354 Perkins

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

This is a common topic of discussion at our cruise night gatherings, especially when somebody cruises through with an ungodly loud car, winging the throttle to get attention and grinning as if getting the "bird" was winning some kind of popularity contest. It's not, and for those who are guilty of doing this kind of childish behavior it means, roughly translated, "your f***ing car is too loud, knock it off or take it someplace else." Hope this helps with those who are gesture-challenged.

WiredSpider, Stogy and jimmy six like this.
  7. coop46

coop46
    from New Jersey

Is that set of long tubes for sale?

Elcohaulic and Stogy like this.
  8. coop46

coop46
    from New Jersey

Not sure if I replied on the wrong post....sorry if a dup. Is that set of long tubes for sale??

9. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Muffler.... after my last escapade, I think that may be a four-letter word.

Put an exhaust onto the avatar. 327 Chev good for 400 ponies. 2 1/2" twin pipes, cross-over near the trans, two Mercury mufflers. Loud enough to make me grin. Car continued through the build process over ten years.

Went to get the engineering certificate. Need this for registration, as the vehicle is heavily modified. Independent engineer inspects and certifies the vehicle, then the State registration authority issues number plates. Not cheap... around $2500 for the engineering alone. Engineering comes with a mandatory noise test. 104dBa. The engineer was none-too-impressed.... the limit here is 96dBa.

Consulted the muffler shop, reckoned my best bet was Walker Turbo mufflers. Not available locally, so imported some from the US. Retest... 101dBa. Went back to the muffler shop for a deep-and-meaningful conversation only to find they had closed shop :mad:.

Tried restrictor plates... maybe 1/2 dBa better. Considered stuffing the pipes with steel wool, but knowing my luck it would blow out during the test (picture the engineer observing a smouldering wad of steel wool pooting across the workshop, followed by the bellow of an angry, no-longer gagging small block :rolleyes::p).

On to yet another muffler shop for the third muffler set. This time it worked... just makes 96dBa. Got the certificate issued.

Cheers,
    Harv

High test 63, LAROKE and Stogy like this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

These look so nice, beautiful job Willys36..

[​IMG]

High test 63, LAROKE and Deuces like this.
  11. wvenfield

wvenfield

We put augers inside a straight pipe and made it so we can uncap if necessary. If you are going very far it makes it livable.

[​IMG]

Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  12. topher5150

topher5150

I really want lake pipes, but I'm kind of on the fence with the Patriot side baffled pipes. I just can't get past the heat shields and black painted center section

13. Thanx! Headers are really fun to build once you get the hang of it.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  14. Mine had no mufflers when i got it. First i put 12" glass packs...hated it! Then i put some Smithys....sounded like a Camaro! Hated it, so i went back to straight pipes. The mufflers took away the cam pop. It's loud, but it sounds like a Hotrod!

AHotRod likes this.
  15. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

my father used to tell me a story about when he was in the air force
    in the late fifties .they drove from one base to one in wash. state .middle of winter . the guys car had a flatty with new pipes . every overpass he rolled down the windows to hear them . freezing cold. oh and thnx for the explenation . i didnt get it either . but then i coudnt put the quote where i wanted it either

AHotRod likes this.
  16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I drive my roadster with just a straight pipe!

17. WTF! Did you even read the original post, dumbass. lol The price of oranges really doesn't matter here....

18. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

if i ever get to a point where i can have a good set of pipes put on my 41 /235/6 i plan on starting with 2 straight pipes out the back . if i get weak i can add mufflers later . i doubt that will happen tho .i luv twice pipis on a 6 . next best thing to going fast !! DSCF5583 (2).JPG exhaust is one job ive found is better for me if i dont do it !!

19. There were several un-muffled hot rods at the Gathering at the Roc with some angry engines in them. ;-)

20. hepme

hepme

We just take out our hearing aids and its beautiful.

Deuces likes this.
  21. My 39 has no mufflers with small, 1.5" or 1.75" pipes. Sucker really cackles when I back off the throttle. But it's not loud inside the car.

Deuces likes this.
  22. RmK57

RmK57

Nothing like the crisp sound of 12.5 to 1, 427 SOHC. Would I drive it out of the parking lot to a trailer, absolutely. Would I drive it 100 miles to get home after the show, absolutely!

SOHC427, dana barlow, LAROKE and 7 others like this.
  23. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Absolutely true story from 1978- Chebbie guys will never understand, nothing makes more noise than a decent 427 with a lotta stick and a lotta squeeze

A few years ago I had the 406 car out, and at the time it had the 14:1 427 in it, .660 Delong cam, Milodon gear drive, cross-ram with two 650's, and the 3" exhaust with straight-thru truck resonators- it ain't real silent, and with a solid left engine mount, the whole car shakes at idle. So I'm stopped at a red light coming into town, and a Rabbit convertible pulls up behind me. After a few seconds, this incredible chick jumps out, perfect Farah Fawcett racehorse legs in very short side-slit shorts, short tank top, great tan, and comes up and starts waving her arms and yelling at me- "DO YOU REALLY THINK IT'S FAIR TO SUBJECT OTHER PEOPLE TO THE NOISE OF THIS CAR???" She was so mad she never noticed that "The Girls" had escaped from her skimpy top and were helping give me hell...
    Speechless, I was

24. RmK57

RmK57

I even like the sound of Harley-Davidsons with straight pipes. Especially when there's 50 of them rolling on the throttle up hill. The police around here are cracking down on them. They have spot checks with a decibel meter ready and willing to write $200 noise bylaw tickets. Just isn't any fun anymore.

Deuces likes this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

Ok.... pictures or it never happened!...:D;)

Lil32 likes this.
  26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I have to admit, I do like to idle in to an event un-capped. Especially city run car shows.

27. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

when i get so OLD i dont like pipes i will shoot myself unless i have help !!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  28. Yes Please…

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve never gotten away with straight pipes in my neck of the woods. Nearest thing to it is running my go to ,hacked off mid year sidepipe chambers on a few of my rides : 7006FCFE-C49F-42FA-8AA0-3D2E40E958D4.jpeg 5B84BDF4-AD2F-4050-B7C6-6BCB18E77078.jpeg 247641FD-5B9E-481A-A570-1EDE9E0FDA00.jpeg