Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford sbc motor mtgs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lcfman, Oct 8, 2021.

1. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I need some motor mounts for my 32 Ford (OE frame) and was looking at the "old" style Hurst front motor mounts that Speedway sells. The reviews are good on the site but would like to get some input from the Hamb on if they are good.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  2. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

In reviewing Speedways info it says not compatible with a mechanical fuel pump which I want to run. Can it be notched to clear a pump or does someone offer a similar motor mount that would work?

Splitbudaba likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy

PM wayne-o on here. He made a Hurst style mount that clears the pump. He may take some pics for you.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I was going to run a hurst mount, but you need to also run bell housing mounts plus the issue with the fuel pump, 6730378A-34FB-48F8-ABBF-00F1813E055C.jpeg so I built some side mounts.

Budget36 and X38 like this.

5. sdluck

sdluck

They make spacers to clear the fuel pump with a Hurst mount and you can run a tail shaft Mount I did 10 years plus

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. alchemy

alchemy

Some side mounts with flathead biscuits work great and are easy to build if you don’t want to buy them. If you do want to buy them, Chassis Engineering kinda perfected them.

Tman, -Brent-, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  8. wayne-o

wayne-o

Per Andy above. All I did was put a 1/4 inch spacer between the mount and the front of the block then bent the mount forward on each side a little to get enough clearance for the pump. I built my own mount but very similiar to the Hurst one. I have been running a rear trans mount for 10 years no issues.

Splitbudaba, Andy and ramblin dan like this.
  9. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

9380D473-3733-472F-87CB-6C9940FCCF78.jpeg 75F9DF5B-4774-4664-B1B9-9863967A6768.jpeg EBBB6851-9258-4172-9B8F-F84E24BE006D.jpeg Purchased a u-weld it mount! Bought a wider piece of steel for the lower strap! Added some gussets to prevent twist and got the clearance I needed plus it helped on the other side for steering box clearance.

Fogger and -Brent- like this.
  10. I'd like a larger footprint on the rubber pad, to spread the load. + mounts at the bellhousing.

That bolt mounted spring:eek:...I think that's been covered in another thread.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  11. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Sorry, no mounts on bell housing. Single spring mount bolt, might still try it!

12. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Thanks for all the replies. I really like splitbudaba's mounts. You could sell a boat load of those. Do you have a extra set laying around you would sell?

Budget36 and Splitbudaba like this.
  13. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Nope just one set and they are in use! I can’t believe that they are not produced by someone. The mount was really easy to build! And thanks for the credit DDDenny!!

warhorseracing likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:cool:

Splitbudaba and Budget36 like this.
  15. If you are using an original '32 front crossmember, it is easy to built mounts to fit the engine to the original mount locations.

Splitbudaba and Algoma56 like this.
  16. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I guess back in the day people using the original Hurst front mounts ran electric fuel pumps. I don't like electric pumps they are always problematic in my opinion. Also the front mounts are more period and leaves a clear shot from the steering column to the steering gear. If anyone can post a photo of a front Hurst style mount that has spacers and has been bent for pump clearance would be helpful. Thanks again.

17. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

If you are running the stock 32 cross member the original 32 mounts will bolt to the front of the SBC. I have seen it many times on cars.

18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Hurst mount doesn’t need to be bent. The spacers are nothing more than washers. I don’t have a real clear picture on hand, but I can snap a couple more; when I get home. AF5E49DC-D8A4-4369-9822-399C33587F6C.jpeg 4DCE05FF-A3BB-469B-9956-682E8933814B.jpeg

-Brent- likes this.
  19. sdluck

sdluck

You could buy a spacer kit that moves the mount forward and cleared the fuel pump.

20. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

One word of caution, not all mechanical fuel pumps are the same size, diameter of housing, get the pump you plan to use and go from there, speaking from experience!!!

bowie and rbrewer like this.
  21. Fordors

Fordors

Just wondering, can you space the mount out enough to clear the fuel pump if you have the SBC 8” harmonic damper?
    And I think I’d be leery of using the original ‘32 Ford engine mounts unless I had the ‘55-‘57 Chevy bell with those mounts instead of a tail shaft mount on the trans.

22. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

A couple comments have mentioned spacer kits. Who sells those?

23. Bugguts

Bugguts

Bowie's response above might answer the question of a kit. He said, quote "The spacers are nothing more than washers." probably not a kit for this.
    Could you just add a quarter inch plate between mount and block where it bolts together to achieve the same offset?

Splitbudaba and bowie like this.
  24. sdluck

sdluck

They are just washers or thickness of metal,just shim the mount forward until it clears the fuel pump,like Bugguts said.As said Splitbudaba
    one word of caution, not all mechanical fuel pumps are the same size, diameter of housing, get the pump you plan to use and go from there, speaking from experience!!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Splitbudaba likes this.
  25. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hurst did offer a spacer “kit”. They are not much more than a pair of small steel ovals. Correct thickness washers work fine. You just need to find one of the smaller diameter fuel pumps, to make it work. 0FF04ED7-6500-4A82-8CDC-2A85B494D4B7.jpeg 0BC7FAF3-BE30-4A61-BD3D-B60A4655B546.jpeg A940C3F9-553A-4324-83C7-E110EEA042F9.jpeg

26. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I found a rebuildable pump somewhere! It was the smaller diameter unit ( the big Corvette unit is huge! I know, I bought one and sold it in these classifieds)! Anyway the small unit was chromed, and not well either. So carefully plugged and masked the pump and in the glass bead cabinet she went! Then a few coat of Rustoleum Hi-temp silver and on she went! After a really good cleaning before and after paint!

Attached Files:

27. Any hardware store. They're in a box called 'spacers'....

WiredSpider and Splitbudaba like this.
  28. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Thanks for everyone's input I ended up putting a front cradle type set-up for my motor mounts. I bought the components from Speedway and they turned out being good parts ( little bit leery of Speedway parts). I had to box the frame to make it work but I had planned to do that anyway. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

pprather likes this.
  29. Canuck

Canuck

Gosh, all this talk of which mount to buy and where to buy spacers.

These were published on the HAMB, sorry I did not record the name of the people that posted them. one high mount, one low mount.

Hurst Mount for SBC.jpg sbc saddle mount.jpg

Just Gary likes this.
  30. Here is the mount I made to pick up the stock biscuit on the 4 cylinder Chevy II in my AVATAR. I am not sure how close it is to a V8.

Charlie Stephens IMG_5528.jpeg