Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plastic engine blocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nwguy, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being a couple of years older than you I full and well resemble that and understand it. I used to be able to pick up a sbc block and stick it in the back of a pickup but no more. Watching myself in my daughter's wedding video last night I even look older than I feel.

2. cretin

cretin

I have limited experience with the plastic blocks. I've only used one for a 350 that we used to have at the shop. I have no idea what brand it was, but the engine mounts were not in the correct place, so it was useless. Maybe make some measurements before buying a swapmeet one.

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I just added in a 2 x 12 for a spacer and fit up a 6" stroker crank giving me a 450 c.i. inlne six.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do they make a rev kit for the 23deg? asking for a friend.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I doubt an Anglia is any tighter than my old Austin gasser. And I did the Austin the same exact way. I simply removed the entire firewall and once I had the engine and trans mocked up, I got out some 10 ga. sheet metal, and fabricated a firewall around what I needed to fit the engine and trans.
    I sit almost in the backseat in my Austin, but have enough room for the SBC engine; although barely enough! Any V8 is tight in this tiny car!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

If you're doing a lot of frame repairs, it seems like a no-brainer business investment. Up your price a little and save time with the new poly block.

7. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree Austins are small, my friends have them, Anglia/Thames much smaller. 32ford rad does not fit unless special hood or serious setback. Friend had a 4dr Austin former gasser in Illinois, Altered style eng set back, carb was under the windshield. Add front roll bar supports, really gets tight. I use the PAYR multiple chassis, oil pans and cross members can be interesting. Novice can set up, its currently sitting in a 50Dodge sbc gasser build, with Plastic T10 trans.

8. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember, some shops actually charged a fixture fee. This car needs a PG trans update for me to fit in car these days, this requires relocating steering box, pedals update for throttle, finally to add caster in front axle.... correct violent resonance problem. then I'll drag it back out.

Attached Files:

9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picked up a NOS PAYR T400 trans (in orig box) for a good price.

10. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

30 minutes for a 400$ block that only 800$ per hour, sign me up for a 40 hour week. @RICH B that what Cheap ass would have done.

RICH B likes this.
  11. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have removed my BBC plastic heads a dozen times, working my firewall... not done yet. ain't no..$pennies on the dollars, my time is $150/hr.