Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50's Roadster Resurrection....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CanUFelix, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Caught myself sitting here looking at the pics and making "Vroom, vroom" sounds! :eek:

Dave

2. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I finally got the bulk head structure and Gas tank mounts to a point today where I could lay some paint on it and start putting this thing back together. finished up some bracing with some snotty welds and some welds i was quite proud of and don't mind having on display. hardest part was figuring out my filler neck situation. I picked up a rad little flip top external filler and wanted to use it but there isn't much room under there and the moon tank I have has its filler opening fairly well over towards the middle. I didn't want the fill cap to be stuck in the middle of the deck so a solution needed to be worked up....a trip to NAPA had me sorted with correct diameter 45 and 90 degree gas tubing and then I picked up a 45 degree piece of exhaust tubing...some measuring, cutting and swearing eventually had something i hoped would work....

decided to paint the whole inner structure white to match the fire wall and give it a bit of a race car feel. I also sourced a brass stop cock and fitted that so I can turn the fuel off at the tank....pretty happy with how it turned out. now to get some gas into those 94's!!!

Attached Files:

3. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

got my little hotrod back on its wheels today and rolled it out into the sun for the first time in a year...not long now before I'll be smoking those Wide Whites!!!!! very excited

Attached Files:

4. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

couldn't resist a grill mock up before I pack my parts up for the big house move. good news is she's nearly ready for the road and is about to get a very spacious garage to get herself together.

Felix

Attached Files:

• Rod.jpg
      Rod.jpg
      File size:
      220.4 KB
      Views:
    dubie likes this.
  5. dubie

dubie

Very cool build!

6. brady1929

brady1929

Sweet roadster

7. Felix: The roadster was real cool when you first got , it is way cool now. Love the work you've done and the car just keeps getting better. Its living a dream to have an old roadster like that to tweak to perfection, have fun! Tim

8. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Man, its been years since i posted any build progress up here and lately, spurred on by an imminent divorce, i got back to it. I had the thing together and fired it up but realized I’d screwed something up with the clutch alignment. While i pulled the motor out i decided to change out the steering box for a better one, and while i was doing that figured now would be the right time to replace the crappy bondo dash with the 41Merc unit I’d sourced. That was three years ago......it finally went in last week.

Attached Files:

9. Cool....glad your back on it and looking better since you lost the dead weight....best of luck !

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

been cranking on the roadster lately.....finally able to hood cruise it. still a ton of adjustments to make but its getting there. runs smooth but suffering from what to me is extreme crank case pressurization...hopefully the rings will free up after sitting so long with some miles under them.

but I love the way she looks and its a rush to get her on the road after all this time.

its funny how you forget how much work you've done over time....this has been the most involved project i ever tackled....

IMG_9498.jpeg 30F5FFF9-DB2A-41AD-BA0B-5CBDAE1D272F.jpg IMG_0014.jpeg

rod1, Bugguts, The37Kid and 1 other person like this.