Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration did some cleaning in the shop today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty valley, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truth is stranger than fiction...THIS is why Rusty's taking door #2...that'll be another episode of JHA elsewhere...;)

You know he may have to Board the sides to prevent what you are speaking till the threat of avalanche is taken away...:eek:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    rusty valley likes this.
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

LOL ! definitely want the pile lower instead of higher! like low enough to be certified as flat. May need to go shopping for a bigger tool box today, so I can fit all the tools I am finding in the lathe turnings

continentaljohn and Stogy like this.
  3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Stilts, naawww. Too easy to trip n fall - then get hurt trying not to damage anything he falls onto. Mountain climbing gear would be better & safer. Esp w/some ice-boots w/the cleats, icepick/cane, etc. Oh, n maybe some cool outfit like the swiss used to wear... :D :D :D . Pics are a'needed! We're a'rootin' for ya, here, ya know. Aren't internet "friends" great, what w/all their "help"? :D . Now it's become a challenge to see just how high he can pile stuff onto that sturdy table, = bragging rights!
    Marcus...

4. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I currently have my Genie manlift inside the shop, helps with loading those upper shelves, and changing those 8ft flourescent bulbs. Also is a GREAT cherrypicker for pulling/ installing engines- very steady and accurate control

continentaljohn likes this.
  5. williebill

williebill

Just skimmed the whole thread, didn't take time to read it all. I am at work, after all.
    You guys are working too hard, and especially thinking too hard.
    There's a new 12X8 shed in the bed of my truck, waiting for a day off, good weather, and a buddy to help put it together. It'll fit nicely with the two 7X7 sheds, and the 11X18.
    I don't have to get rid of anything, just move it to it's new shed.
    All this talk about your wives. My g/f just throws my shit down the stairs leading to the garage. I have to move it to get through the door. She can tell me she's not happy with my stuff upstairs at 3:08 PM. and then launch it down the stairs by 3:11. No time to consider her "requests". To her credit, it's usually not heavy metal shit she heaves down the stairs... Usually.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm...you have the luxury hotel options...most fellas here have a block and tackle and a 4x4 over the rafters IF we're lucky...but yeah square footage varies and many machines are very multi purpose able you just need to understand the limits...be careful out there...and don't trip on anything...:eek:

continentaljohn and rusty valley like this.
  7. rusty valley

rusty valley

Yeah, Gene is livin the good life with a variety of equipment. Problem is, for any of that stuff the floor has to be clean or you cant drive around. My floor, I need an all terrain floor jack to get from the front of the car to the back ! Wille, keep some couch cushions at the bottom in case she throws the good stuff

continentaljohn, Stogy and williebill like this.
  8. I know EACTLY where everything is in my shop. Only problem is I can’t find it or can’t get to it

rusty valley and Budget36 like this.
  9. rusty valley

rusty valley

Fred, I had a fire in my old shop in 2010. Fire was mostly in the ceiling, so a lot of things on the floor were OK. Well, If you have read this thread, you might guess that I had a lot of things on the floor. The first couple days, I did some salvaging by my self, I could dig under the burnt wooden bench and pull out the box with my 3/4 drive socket set, etc. On the weekend, a few friends came over to help, and that was a bad thing. Sorry to sound like a jerk, but really I was the only one who could decide what is scrap and what is not, so lots got thrown away that shouldnt have, and things got stirred up so I no longer could walk rite to where I knew my 4' pipe wrench "was". I had been in that building for about 30 years, so while it was a mess, I could find what I needed. This mess here now, in a smaller building, has to be straightened up to be functional

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

Checking in for my nightly JHA meeting, got the front of the lathe as clean as it was when i bought it 6 years ago. Yeah, there's some items that should be stored somewhere else, but they are part of the program anyway. Most real machinist's , and we have many here on the hamb, @continentaljohn , my friend has been quiet here, most likely he is too shocked to speak his mind LOL ! , would say I'm not done, but...looks good for me, and can move on. Now , bench B is visible in the background...not sure if I am mentally ready for comments on that mess yet...lets get thru bench A first. WEll, what the heck, it wont load my pic for some reason. Carb must be dirty! will try another shot...hold on

continentaljohn and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today I walked by the mess opened the garage door started up the Ole Hotrod and went to Mom's and cut her grass...it ran like a Charm...

Pacing myself...;)

The pile said nothing...:p

Note the Workbench...I'm fabbing drawers to help sort the chaos...and apart from being something I enjoy they really do work...

Wasted space is a target of 6S organization discussed earlier...especially around the walls...Shelves and shelving have been mentioned benches with no drawers an a single shelf often have a foot of stuff with empty space above that drawers could inhabit...

0_20210606_020139.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    continentaljohn and rusty valley like this.
  12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Ya know; the levity in this thread is refreshing. Nice for a change...
    Marcus...

rusty valley and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@rusty valley Its a positive that people like yourself, myself and All collectors are in fact doing something that preserves history momentarily and gives an opportunity for a repurposing in either a Jalopy, Hotrod, Custom, OEM replacement or even wall art conversation pieces...these collections are many times years in the making some started before I was presented to Terra Firma (1960)...and if it truly warrants scrap you've profited per pound there too...enjoy the rewards of change...gotta have the Ole Hotrod in where it's like Summer or maybe early Fall all year round...I do...

But a practical, safe work area and 1+ carspace is the goal the rest could take its course...some collectors have huge work areas...you have options...and a very interesting place...history seems a plenty and Ole 34 is back to 1954...or so the Story goes...;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  14. johnc451

johnc451

A friend of mine says, "...a clean stall is usually the sign of a dead horse." But he may have just been trying to be nice looking at my method of organizational failure.

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Clean floor? Eh... The Genie lift has not rolled its wheels in a couple months, and is growing "stuff" around it lol. But it has a lot of reach, and is strategically placed- getting ready to swing a 352 over the tire machine and drop it in the 56 Bird

Stogy and continentaljohn like this.
  16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@rusty valley my friend I have been quite because I feel your pain and happiness gathering all those beautiful treasures. It’s hard to toss needed treasures. I know metal cutoffs ( lathe saw or chop) and metal all together as you know your going to need it one day lol. I just think of our scrap hopper at the old shop and how many guys would dive into it for metal . Back then it wasn’t scrappers but guys making stuff ,car guys ,boat guys ,model guys and even artists . Now it’s going all to be melted down and cool shit will be gone forever. So it’s guys like us in the JHA saving treasures for the future.
    I am digging your cleaning and to make room for the roadster and is a wicked cool hotrod . I looked at that roadster ad and had to go and stare at my 1933 pheaton . Mine could be a roadster very easily and just as cool as your new one. It’s awesome that you have all the equipment as thats the hardest thing to get now. It’s not you can’t find it but getting it home and a area to put it. I am sure in no time the shop will be spotless and full of great treasures . Plus you got some awesome cars jeeps and all sorts of goodies

Mine not so as space is limited as work stations have to be used for duel purposes and storage as well. So my lathe hold my short round and hex cutoffs along with tooling in the cabinet. I have a separate toolbox for the delicate lathe tooling . I used to vacuum after each use and was spotless at one time. Along with my jump shear as I don’t use that much so it gathers treasures and cutoffs as well because My JHA affiliation.. it’s like a workbench and can get filled fast.
    I did scrap my old hyster forklift as it’s hard to move in the shop. It’s handy as heck but takes too much room and users too much room. With the small 3x4 foot print on Velti lift and with capability of lifting 1500lb and going 12 foot in the air it works better for me. I can put goodies on the pallet rack with ease motors or bodies. In fact I have a complete hemi on it for the 32. You can see it being used to hold up the orange model a body above the cornbinder.
    So what’s the next area to tackle in the shop. F41087DF-B7E5-4E1C-8069-AD873BEC1002.jpeg 1066584B-10F6-4DC5-819F-2C893CB4F053.jpeg

Stogy, rusty valley and Algoma56 like this.
  17. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Still amazes me how we are able to put 15 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound area.......

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

Gene, if you have devise that rotates, and extends to perform duties without having to clean the floor, well, I'm afraid that is cheating, and I'm not sure you are allowed to join our meetings anymore

19. rusty valley

rusty valley

@continentaljohn , great lookin shop there. Yeah, lots of "good stuff" but it looks more like work in progress than work come to a dead stop, as in my mess. Nice lookin roadster there, and you can even roll a floor jack all the way around it! And...you scrapped a forklift? It hurts me to think about it

20. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Rusty thanks as I keep cutting my space down as I get older and wisero_O. Yeah Hate to say it but scrapped two of them one propane and one electric along with a bunch of heavy duty pallet racking.

Stogy and rusty valley like this.
  21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

hehehe...
    thumbnail.jpg thumbnail2.jpg

22. spanners

spanners

Yep, with a machine like that your membership in JHA is in doubt.

23. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I bow in deference to the Masters of Mess. I'm so far below that level. I'm using all of this thread to convince SWMBO that I have a goal to aspire to!

24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@MeanGene427 not the boom I was thinking but will do more than anyone would need. I do see the beautiful Bridgeport mill in the background and she looks awesome. You sir a a JHA in gold standing

rusty valley and Stogy like this.
  25. rusty valley

rusty valley

I'm back with some action, if the camera works? so, the front of the lathe clean, back side of lathe before and after. The bench B in the background, has always been a worthless space. Thats where when cleaning bench A you come across something that needs to be filed elsewhere, or really has no home, it gets "temporarily" put there...like for several years. The bottom cabinet doors actually hold all my power tools, like impact guns, skill saw, belt sander etc, so it has a purpose, but the 2 drawers on top are just wasted with disorganized clutter. the top...we wont go there yet. Now, the back side of the lathe for some reason unknown became the hammer storage spot, they should be in one of those drawers, we'll get there. The pile on the floor is my tire spoon and pry bar stash, a bad place I agree, but I brought in a short 3 gallon pail to try and tidy up the arrangement, and since they are not all the same length...it kinda doesnt work, so back on the floor they go. Today's bonus is the burnt up box of 3/4 drive sockets I salvaged out of the fire years ago and had forgot i had them? Old timers disease, or too much stuff, take your pick. IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0928.JPG IMG_0930.JPG

26. Budget36

Budget36

Great, now you’ve shamed me into cleaning my storage, er, lathes off.

27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Too much stuff? ??? No, try: not enough storage. :D .
    Marcus...

28. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

My big South Bend did not have a chip tray, but it does now. I saved the lower cabinet from a big Zerox printer that fits underneath with 1" clearance, just enough room for a 2' x 3' drip tray from Tractor Supply to fit snugly. Sticks out just far enough to hold the chuck wrench, tailstock wrench etc. I'd take a pic, but of course to much schidt in the way. I cleared a path to use the lathe 2 weeks ago, but the Red Sea seems to have filled back in...

29. I just installed 3 ceiling hanging shelves the other day, she still hasn't picked through her boxes of stuff so I can put them up... hahaha, everything is covered in dust now from buffing stainless.

30. 1ton

1ton

Seems like half the crap in my garage does not belong in there in the first place.
    My ideal toolbox would be four lines painted on the floor in the shape of a square. Then try to kick the tools I'm using into the "box".