Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nomads!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Nov 21, 2007.

1. firemangordy

firemangordy

I've been in the Nomad club since 1975 and appreciate all Nomads and their owners choice in how they build them. I think the fact that I lowered mine and put the original caps back on is a change from stock that makes it different from a lot of others. There's a lot less restored Nomads around now then when I started and it's hard to believe someone who has a restored one today would be openly critical of a modified Nomad. For me, as long as the body hasn't been cut up, it's all good. I like a day 2 car that's been lowered and has wheels on it, but I also like a custom like Sam Hollingsworth's '57. It's one of my favorites. My other Nomad is completely unrestored original but, I chose to lower it and put Cragar Supremes on it. The black and white one sits the same as the copper and cream one. I just chose to leave the stock hubcaps since it had other accessories on it also. I hope you find some shows to take your Nomad where you are made to feel welcome.

Gordy 56 Mad 80.jpg

2. No way! The look Gordy's Nomad has stands out in a sea of modified Nomads and it looks better than any restored stocker I've seen with the proper lowered stance it has. It's not like no one has put those wheels on a Nomad before. The Rally wheels looked awful and the only American Torque Thrusts that would look right would be the original grey spokes, not the cookie cutter polished D-spokes that you see on everything.

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Man I can't believe this is gotten too a pissing contest. My 56 nomad inn 66 had that stance because the springs where sagging. Yes it is a good looking Nomad but it does look stock period.. Can we go on to another car.

Pat

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 6inarow like this.
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Dadgum, that's a pretty Nomad!

impala4speed and loudbang like this.
  5. Ok, so I took a few steps. Dare to be different right?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Here's a black '56 with polished American D-spokes........(pic courtesy of arkiehotrods, who posted this earlier in this thread)
    [​IMG]
    ......bottom line is Nomads look great no matter what wheel you put on them! (but I still
    like Gordy's hubcaps on his!)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  7. Here's the only Nomad I have ever owned and I had it for twenty years. I sold it soon after moving to Arizona because I just didn't have enough garage space built for it yet. I didn't want to let it sit outside and couldn't see myself getting it restored anytime soon so I let it go. I probably should have kept it because it was straight as an arrow and rust free (and it did still have those neat hubcaps!) I now have a '56 Handyman two door wagon that I love just as much though, I'd post a pic but it has 17" and 18" chrome 5 spokes that the don't make the cut for the HAMB so I do dare to be different too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  8. 6inarow

6inarow

Here's the only Nomad I have ever owned and I had it for twenty years. I sold it soon after moving to Arizona because I just didn't have enough garage space built for it yet. I didn't want to let it sit outside and couldn't see myself getting it restored anytime soon so I let it go. I probably should have kept it because it was straight as an arrow and rust free (and it did still have those neat hubcaps!) I now have a '56 Handyman two door wagon that I love just as much though, I'd post a pic but it has 17" and 18" chrome 5 spokes that the don't make the cut for the HAMB so I do dare to be different too!

Hey I liked that Nomad from the first time I saw it. I always wanted to try and buy it but was scared to ask. Nice car!!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Dark Deuce

Dark Deuce

IMG_1844.jpg
    Love the look! Here's mine Stock appearing, lowered with wide whites and full caps.

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-10-29_5-9-2.png
    Hello,

We grew up involved in hot rods and custom cars/trucks during the late 50s to throughout the 60s. After my brother bought his 280 hp, 348, 1958 Chevy Impala and raced it for several years in the A/Stock car class, there were a few moments in late 1959 that had him rethinking about another choice for his hot rod sedan needs.

I know one thing was that the 59 Chevy cars had a 4 speed, a 335 hp 348 motor and several cooler styling factors. Sure, the 58 Impala was a one-of-a-kind design in the long Chevy sedan lineup. But, an El Camino car/truck with a 335 hp, 4 speed, Positraction rear was leaning heavily on him.

55 HP difference was no laughing matter and he knew something was making him rethink his need to create something. The trophies he won were nice and were displayed in our study den. But, there was the need for something else. I knew he still wanted something to compete against his friend with a 34 Ford 5 window with a big Oldsmobile motor that ran in A/Gas and was a daily driver to school.

So, as the year rolled on, several trips to the Chevy dealer to see a new 59 El Camino was a nice brotherly road trip. He had plans, but in our discussions, he knew he just bought a new Impala in late 57. So, the timing was not going to go well with our parents. But, did I care? No worries about a new car for him. I was going to get the Impala if he bought a new 1959 El Camino.

Jnaki
    Yes, the dealers had 1958 and 59 Nomads, but they left the great two door design on the drawing books and took the easy way out with 4 doors, not two. So, that was not going to cut it for a couple of two door design teenagers.

Well, the buy and sell did not happen and talks about getting a El Camino waned. When we started with his latest idea of a gas coupe build, talks turned into modifying an El Camino into a station wagon. The wagon was secure for our tools, parts, and other racing stuff we would be transporting around. It would also be a great tow vehicle and be able to take on surfing vacations in Mexico or elsewhere.
    upload_2021-10-29_5-10-41.png
    The popular metallic purple color was also tossed around.

The idea morphed into what I recall as an exercise in frustration. We knew we towed the 40 Willys with the 58 Impala. But, in the long run, the Impala was not a tow vehicle. While we went through phase one of the Willys build, there was no time to getting a station wagon built at the same time. He did not want a 59 4 door wagon.

So, it was an idea left on the boards. A customized 1959 Chevy El Camino/Nomad for the teenage hot rod enthusiast. The sleek Nomad roof support design just looked like it would fit with the El Camino cab top build. It was just an idea we had as teenagers.
    upload_2021-10-29_5-11-33.png
    lowered for cruising around or going surfing. YRMV

11. firemangordy

firemangordy

California Nomads and a 210. IMG-1222.jpg

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I love 56 Nomads, the 56 is the best looking year IMO! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

13. Me too, I agree! Owned a 56 2 door Handyman, Dusk Plum/India Ivory in the 80's, my buddy still owns it, and current 56 Nomad project was originally a Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige and will return to the street that way too.

bchctybob, loudbang and firemangordy like this.
  14. 57 nomad garage.jpg I guess everybody has their opinion.

15. Just got my interior done.

Attached Files:

16. Done by the Upholstery Zone in Simi Valley, Ca.

Attached Files:

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Looks good!

Pat

R. Seghi and loudbang like this.
  18. Ditto!
    @R. Seghi What's the front seat from? Does it fold forward to access rear seat?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    loudbang likes this.
  19. That is a Glide Seat. Yes, it does flip forward. Very comfortable and great for driving. That stock seat was very uncomfortable to me because I'm a Disabled Veteran and have back and leg issues. So for me it was change the seat or don't drive it much. Well, how can you NOT drive this car?

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

21. hotdamn

hotdamn

anyone know of any nomads built that had canted quads?

22. c57heaven

c57heaven

upload_2022-2-20_16-48-27.jpeg Here's mine with early 60's rims. Uses the .6250 shank lug nuts. Ridetech street grip. 283 muncie 4spd. Original otherwise.

23. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

C57, she was a home run

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

A guy in high school had a red and white ’56 Nomad that I lusted over. The first time I saw the coolness potential in a station wagon. In the mid eighties one sorta fell in my lap so I jumped on it. After putting it back together and installing a 400” small block/TH400 combo, I drove it happily for years. It was easily the best tow car I had until I bought a Chevy dually. I got married in the late eighties and my wife didn’t like riding in “an old station wagon”. So I sold it and bought a Chevy short bed pickup with a big block that turned out to be a flood recovery from Texas with electrical problems. I still miss my Nomad. It was Midnight blue and white with Rally wheels. The boat has a 392 Hemi and later got a 6-71 and a Powerglide.
    DF9DBB75-EDE2-4399-8707-8B368F680EF0.jpeg

elgringo71, Paul B, Deuces and 12 others like this.
  25. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

1009211756.jpg My 58 Nomad in progress

Oneball, guthriesmith, enloe and 7 others like this.
  26. My '57 is getting a new 350 engine and overdrive trans.

Attached Files:

1934coupe likes this.
  27. crazybob

crazybob

55 nomad atco 1983 crazy bob madara.jpg Me in 1983 at ATCO, NJ. Sold shortly after that to a guy named Dennis who owned Atco Carpets. He sold it n 1997, & it was in rough shape. I wonder it any of you HAMB guys know if it's still around?
    It had a 396 & th-350. The hood ornament was a "Bull-Nose". The original color was two-tone green. I got divorced in '85, so I can't come up with the vin #.

40FORDPU and Jim Bouchard like this.